"JOKER" King size BMX! (Finished thread.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Left making this thread pretty late even though the bike has been pretty much done for a while now, weather and health held me up...

Here is the pic I would like for the voting please:

14629276758_e0530f58f8_o.jpg

Some others:

14792897576_c2835e3cdf_b.jpg

14815425152_c026fdc8b3_b.jpg

As I mentioned in my build thread, I planned to head to one of the local skate parks to see if I could find a rider with some skills that was willing to ride the bike for some videos and photos, headed out today to the closest skate park to find it completely empty so drove on to the next town only to find it's skate park packed full of 8 year old's on Razor scooters, so I decided to drive back to the other one to get some stationary photos and maybe try riding myself.

I decided to try on the beginners section first and nearly stacked it twice before giving up and just getting some stationary shots, decided to try the other skate park again before heading home, in the off chance the situation had improved. On the way there I noticed a guy on a bike riding beside the road who looked like he might know what he was doing but I was in the turning lane and he was going straight, I tried going around the block to find him but was unsuccessful, so just did a U-turn and headed to the skate park.

Parked the car and left the bike and cameras in the car to walk over to the park, seeing 2 people on BMX there but not being very impressed with their skill level, so I just sat down and watched for a bit. There was a young kid there who was getting some decent air on his bike but he was only just big enough to fit his standard size BMX so did not ask him, was just getting up to walk back to the car and drive home when the guy I tried to follow earlier shows up!

Had a talk to him only to find out it was only his second day back riding after 6 months recuperating from a bike stack that smashed his knee and broke the headtube away from the top tube on his frame, so he was riding careful but was willing to give the bike a try! Thanks Julius!

Went and got the bike and cameras only to find that the main battery and spare battery for the video camera were flat, so the other camera would have to do double duty, photos and video... So only managed to get one decent photo out of the three quick runs he did, but there should be some good video footage there to work with.

14629140320_a141604247_b.jpg

Video will go up once I have it uploaded and edited.

Build thread for the bike can be found here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...mondback-joker-done-finished-concluded.83242/

Luke.

Edit: Video posted, see reply 4 on this thread.

Last edited:
Nice ride, looks awesome

Thanks guys!

Almost ashamed to post the video, I had forgotten how bad the quality was on my still camera, but that serves me right for not charging the batteries for the video camera...
:headbang:

Here it is:

Luke.

So what was the kids reaction of the bike and handling....?
To be honest, it was not his style or size, he much prefers a short top tube frame (being a fair bit shorter than me, he likes 19-20" not the 24"+ of this one, notice the slammed seat in the video too!) and much lower gearing combined with a smaller front sprocket so there is less chance of hitting the sprocket or breaking a chain, but said it was good for cruising with the occasional trick, so really I hit my target...

Luke.

To be honest, it was not his style or size, he much prefers a short top tube frame (being a fair bit shorter than me, he likes 19-20" not the 24"+ of this one) and much lower gearing combined with a smaller front sprocket so there is less chance of hitting the sprocket or breaking a chain, but said it was good for cruising with the occasional trick, so really I hit my target...

Luke.
Now it's your turn to show some skills:grin: Other than building fab bikes...

Now it's your turn to show some skills:grin: Other than building fab bikes...
:21: I honestly scared myself silly on the beginner ramps and jumps at the empty park!
I really wanted to try it in the bowl, but couldn't work out how to get in or out without hurting myself...

No, my trick days are behind me, 6'5" and 230lbs does not a BMX trick rider make...

I am hopefully going to try some cool downhill stuff on my MTB build though when it is done, so tune in for that!

Luke.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can get Julius to try the MTB at the skate park, that should make an interesting video... :blackeye:

On second thought, pretty sure he would not fit it...

I'm glad you kept at it with the mission, that 'air' shot is cool! :cool2: I only wish it had been from the side.
Great job Luke.:thumbsup:
Same here! Really wish I had more time for photos and some battery power in the proper camera for videos too...

Luke.

Came out awesome, I've been following.your build all along glad ya made it. Be proud!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

This is a fabulicious build! I feel your pain when it comes to cameras...I took all my final pics with my smart phone because the battery on my new fangled camera was flat.
Thanks FS!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back