Junk Bros. Build - AMFer - DONE!!! July 27, 2014

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the tank on there. Did you leave the expanding gap of the top bars so you can see through that area looking down?

Love the tank on there. Did you leave the expanding gap of the top bars so you can see through that area looking down?
It's there now but I will probably fill it, it just looks unfinished when sitting on it. I know it may detract from the twin bar look but I've thought pretty hard about this. I had to decide if I was trying to build an Elgin looking bike or just building something I thought was cool. Cool won out... (not saying twin bars aren't cool, but I want people to look at the original frame and wonder how it ever became what I will end up with) Not that it will be as radical as some of the builds I have seen this build-off, but I want it to end up being something people think "I want one of those!" about.

Thanks, Rg

Even in it's unfinished state it's at that "I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!" level!!!!!
Major coolness going on here!!!

Not much progress this weekend. I disassembled my rear wheel for paint, and then spent too much time trying to get the rear coaster back together (I'm an idiot...)! Took 2 minutes once I tried the right way. I hope I get better at lacing wheels, the patterns aren't a problem but trueing them up must be some kind of an art.

I did get the rear tire mounted and mocked up for more frame modifications.

Good luck to all, Rg

This bike looks meaner and faster with every new pic you throw up here RJ !!! Loving it :cool:

Don't sweat the wheel building, truing is a lot like lacing, once you get you a method down it starts falling in place and you wonder why it didnt make sense sooner.

Good to hear you are looking out for the grandparents.
I am sure that you make good use of the time you can spend on the transformation of the bike.

Finally got a few hours to mess with the bike. Got the wheels painted and put back together, mounted the tires, and welded the headlight in position. I started some of the bondo-work (I have a love-hate relationship with bondo...). Still lots to be done but I have a pretty good idea where to go with it. As usual, please ignore the mess, I know it drives some of you ocd-types crazy.

Good luck to all, Rg

Last edited:
That split backbone pic is awesome!

I love the mess. The last time I cleaned up my work shop I couldn't find a dang thing!
I do occasionally put my tools away (when I can't find anywhere to step) but I have also been known to buy a new tool because it's easier than finding the one I have:rolleyes:

Plus if you get tired of looking at the bicycle you can play where's the brass egg with the pictures...

Rg

Your shop is immaculate compared to my little space.
“I accept chaos, I'm not sure whether it accepts me.”
Bob Dylan

Latest posts

Back