Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 8/08 DONE! link to pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 7/11 First frame coat

I had a little time this weekend to work on paint. I sanded and resprayed the front forks because the paint lifted when I sprayed clear. I’m pretty sure it was because I laid it on too thick. I’m gonna try again with multiple light coats until I can get it built up.

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

This part was time consuming! I taped up the tanks and sprayed the green. The taping was a chore, took about an hour to tape both tanks. They came out pretty nice, I have some sanding and cleanup to do though. I used 3M 1/8” plastic tape to get the tight curves and green painters tape for the masking.

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

Those tins came out awesome!!!!!
I really love that green. Well done!!!!
I feel like eating some Green Eggs and Ham now!!!

Thanks KF, there's a lot of work in them with the welded up holes, bondo, taping, and all. It's all a learning experience for me.

Once the tanks dried I had to try it on the frame, a few pics of it mounted. Overall I’m pretty pleased with the outcome. Now if I can keep from messing it up in the next few weeks!

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

I’m starting to think I may finish on time! Once all the paint is cured it is assembly time!
Good luck to all, Rg

They look great on it.
Make sure you dont crush them with your triple tree.

Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 7/16 Paint work cont.

Color combo is great. The tank looks awesome in two tone. And as far as the little details that take forever to figure out but may go unnoticed, they are what set the bike apart from all the others. People that have a true interest and appreciation for any hotrod ratrod or whatever other flavor of vehicle you prefer will notice those details. I am a true believer in the old addage of "stock sucks". Looks great and I find myself saying quite often "wish I thought of that".

someguy83 said:
Color combo is great. The tank looks awesome in two tone. And as far as the little details that take forever to figure out but may go unnoticed, they are what set the bike apart from all the others. People that have a true interest and appreciation for any hotrod ratrod or whatever other flavor of vehicle you prefer will notice those details. I am a true believer in the old addage of "stock sucks". Looks great and I find myself saying quite often "wish I thought of that".

Thanks, I appreciate it. There's a lot of nice bikes in this years build (well, there always are...) and sometimes I think my bike doesn't fit some people's idea of what a ratrodbike should be. If we had a bunch of hard-heads here I wouldn't even have entered, but everyone here is supportive of all builds, regardless of the bike, the modifications, or the person.

This is the best site I have had the privelege of being a part, and I have been on the www for quite a while.

Rg

Well, I'm picky, so I have already sanded out defects on the tanks to the point of a repaint. It's a curse. Some things I just can't overlook.

DSC00364.jpg

Have fun and try not to sweat the small stuff (easily said, hard to live by), Rg

Hey, nothing worng with doing it right. I had my rear fender all chopped, painted and installed and noticed a crack in the bondo. It was hardly noticeable, but it bugged me so off it came and I started over.

Take your time, but HURRY. I want to see this bike put together! :lol:

Terry66 said:
Hey, nothing worng with doing it right. I had my rear fender all chopped, painted and installed and noticed a crack in the bondo. It was hardly noticeable, but it bugged me so off it came and I started over.

Misery loves that company! I'm taking my time, BUT I'm hurrying!

Terry, you ever go to the Smoopy's show in Tennessee?

Rg

raggedjim said:
Terry66 said:

Misery loves that company! I'm taking my time, BUT I'm hurrying!

Terry, you ever go to the Smoopy's show in Tennessee?

Rg

I haven't yet...but I have been thinking about it. When is the next one?

bike2112 said:
Awesome work on the tanks despite the rub through. It's gonna look killer and that color combo is the cats meow.

Thanks! The rub through is in an area of the tank that had a defect in the metal I somehow missed. It's no where near any welding or bondo work, and I can't imagine how I overlooked it. It should be good to paint this afternoon, but I'll have to shoot the white and then wait to mask and shoot a bit of green. At least 2 days work for that one little spot :(

You gotta love it, Rg

I have cleaned up the white and thought I'd get the green fixed but we had a big storm yesterday after work. Maybe I can get something done tonight.

Looking at all the builds that are almost done and are done is great! Some nice bikes in the build off this years.

I've already been planning for BBO8, and I'm not done with this one yet!

Rg

bike2112 said:
raggedjim said:
I've already been planning for BBO8, and I'm not done with this one yet!

Rg

I'm having the exact same problem. Just thinking about BO8 already. Is that a bad thing?

Not at all. I wasn't planning to start planning, but I have had some good parts pop up that would be great for a future build, so the planning has started... whether I wanted it to or not!

Rg

Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 7/23 Paint, start assembky

Got the tanks gone and finished the paint on the frame. I added some pinstriping to the front forks and installed the headbadge.

Got to pack for Holiday world, we're leaving out tomorrow. I feel better about finishing now that the paint is done! My son saw the tanks and said I should change the name to "Unmitigated Hubris", sounds catchy to me...

Thanks, Rg

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 7/23 Paint, start assembly

It's looking real GOOD !

Keep up the great work :wink:

Latest posts

Back