Kamelback Klunkster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I have this blue 67' speedster or this red 71' racer, a S.A. 3 speed hub and a set of NOS 24" s-7 hoops which I've located some tires for. Now all I need is spokes. I was told there 9-3/4" but if someone has a spoke chart and could verify that, I'd be grateful.
P1010478.jpg

71racer1.jpg

I have a calculator but need to know:
number of spokes
hub size( 67mm, 63mm, 48mm, 44.5mm, 40mm, or 34mm)
spoking pattern ( 3X or 2 X)
havent tried this yet....looks confusing...

EDIT: just need to know spoke count and pattern, 3X or 2X

I tried: 24 in. rim, 32 spokes,SA hub (67mm.), 2X pattern and got 233mm. which is about 9 3/16 ths...If I did it right... Ill practice while waiting for your spoke count... :mrgreen:

Well my tires arived from Crassley today and man are they nice! Great price too. I wrote off trying to find knobby tires for 24" S-7 wheels but these have a somewhat aggresive tread. Its a hybrid klunker! yeah yeah thats it! :roll: Its what I got so I guess that's what I'm using. I'm using the red bike but I may borrow the hub from the blue bike as it's a 3 speed coaster brake and will save me the chore of trying to fit brakes to the smaller wheels. That's the plan for now. I gotta get spokes.
P1011094.jpg

P1011096.jpg

P1011097.jpg

P1011100.jpg

Plan? What plan? I'm going with a locked up Bendix RB-2 from a wheel with a broken spoke in my shed. It freed up nicely.
Before:
P1011101.jpg

Disassembled, cleaned, greased and restriped:
P1011102.jpg

Spokes are on the way!

Well I think the simple way to fix it is to remove a little paint at the weld area and then touch it up.....Heh heh! Never been one to do things the simple way.
P1011105.jpg

Litlle weld on top.
P1011108.jpg

Little weld on bottom.
P1011107.jpg

Both sides, bottom and top! in primer too!
P1011109.jpg

"Dehhh-you aint goin' nowhere!"
mugsy-1.jpg

I got my wheels built although they still need truing, and my frame painted. That Dupli-Color Metal-Specs is some good spray can paint.
P1011121.jpg

P1011118.jpg

kframe2.jpg

kframe4.jpg

kframe7.jpg

Well after I switched my hub choice from the S.A. 3 speed to the Benbix R.B 2, which is about 5/8" smaller in dia. I figured it would affect the length. So I went to one of those sights and did it myself. Thanks alot for your work anyway though! :p Sorry you wasted your time. FYI I used a 4 cross and it came out to 9-7/8". Considering that you were probably right.

Do you still have the blue frame? Better yet the whole bike?

Yes I do. I decided I'm gonna refurbish that one as close to original as I can. The paint has scratches but I really like the painted fenders. It won't be perfect but none of my bikes are! :)

Back