Karl from Oxford

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys Wassup.

I'll be honest I originally joined as I'm after some advice. But after looking through a few things I think I'll start up a build thread and document the build.

I've Made a full size 2d template out of plastic at work. But I'll need some help with what materials are best to use.

The plan is minimalist, long, and electric!

Any who good to be here guys. Looking forward to it.

Karl

Attachments

• IMG_20170817_104012.jpg
    IMG_20170817_104012.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 169
Welcome Karl. Looking forward to your build. There is a forum called 'Other Builds' for continuing builds that are outside the bounds of a competitive Build Off. Look forward to seeing yours!

Welcome Karl. Looking forward to your build. There is a forum called 'Other Builds' for continuing builds that are outside the bounds of a competitive Build Off. Look forward to seeing yours!

Heya dude thanks.

You reckon that's the best place for mine then?

I was gonna put it in built from scratch as it'll all be custom made.

Heya dude thanks.

You reckon that's the best place for mine then?

I was gonna put it in built from scratch as it'll all be custom made.
Don't know if you've been looking around much, but it sounds like it. Built from scratch can use the headtube and bottom bracket from a donor so if you're planning on bending your own tube frame up, sounds like you got the right idea. Scratch Builds to start out... nice.

Carl.

Don't know if you've been looking around much, but it sounds like it. Built from scratch can use the headtube and bottom bracket from a donor so if you're planning on bending your own tube frame up, sounds like you got the right idea. Scratch Builds to start out... nice.

Carl.

Custom head tube and bottom bracket hopefully. I want a big rake so figured standard wouldn't be strong enough. And I want to build the bottom bracket into the frame. So it looks seemless.

Initial plan was mix of stainless box but not sure if it'll be too square. And too heavy. Initially frame and fork comes in at 16kg. 88" wheel center to center lol

Custom head tube and bottom bracket hopefully. I want a big rake so figured standard wouldn't be strong enough. And I want to build the bottom bracket into the frame. So it looks seemless.

Initial plan was mix of stainless box but not sure if it'll be too square. And too heavy. Initially frame and fork comes in at 16kg. 88" wheel center to center lol
So you're new here but you're jumpin' in with a BIG build so I doubt it's your first one. What got you started? What did you cut your teeth on?

Carl.

So you're new here but you're jumpin' in with a BIG build so I doubt it's your first one. What got you started? What did you cut your teeth on?

Carl.

Nope never done this before. Got some spare time and resource at work so figured might as well! Hope that doesn't sound arrogant. I like things that aren't common and not too many customs in the UK.

Love harleys. Step father in law has two shovel heads. Father in law builds custom show bikes, I'll dig up picks of an 1800 monster he made, from scratch. He's a .... but great at building amazing bikes. Although that makes him even more of a .... lol.

Gotcha. I did guess there was some motorcycle influences in there some where... I tinkered on bicycles as a youth, and I'm an old school carpenter who thinks he can do anything... so with the internet and youtube it's pretty easy to lookup something. Glad you're here. I'm anxious to see where you go with this.

Carl.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I did guess there was some motorcycle influences in there some where... I tinkered on bicycles as a youth, and I'm an old school carpenter who thinks he can do anything... so with the internet and youtube it's pretty easy to lookup something. Glad you're here. I'm anxious to see where you go with this.

Carl.

I'd love to be good with wood but alas it's not meant to be.

I am anxious too lol.

I've started a thread in built from scratch and will update some drawings this morning.

Welcome!

"Built from scratch" sounds like your area for this build, otherwise bicycle builds go in the "Builds" area, if they are things not bicycle related (cars, motorbikes etc.) then they go in "Other talk".

If you click the "Post pic full size" option after loading your pictures they will show up at a reasonable size without the need to click on them. :thumbsup:

Standard headtube and bottom brackets are actually usually fine on a big build, I like to reinforce the ends on the headtube with an external sleeve if it is a heavy build, but the bottom brackets are plenty strong enough.
16kg will actually be fine unless where you ride has a huge amount of steeper hills, one of my builds tipped the scales at close to 80kg and it rode perfectly fine around town, just a matter of getting the gearing right.

Going to check out your build now, sounds like something I would like!

:forum:

Welcome!

If you click the "Post pic full size" option after loading your pictures they will show up at a reasonable size without the need to click on them. :thumbsup:

Going to check out your build now, sounds like something I would like!

:forum:

Cheers for tip. Been trying to post full-size in body of text but can't get it right. Gonna download imageshack later. Give that a go.

Yeah please do follow.

Nope never done this before. Got some spare time and resource at work so figured might as well! Hope that doesn't sound arrogant. I like things that aren't common and not too many customs in the UK.

Love harleys. Step father in law has two shovel heads. Father in law builds custom show bikes, I'll dig up picks of an 1800 monster he made, from scratch. He's a .... but great at building amazing bikes. Although that makes him even more of a .... lol.
Welcome mate!! I really look forward to seeing your build take shape! But must pull you on your ''not too many customs in the UK'' comment! The scene is doing really well, lots of amazing builds and great rides taking place all around the country!

Latest posts

Back