Klunker 2.0 - RRBO Revisited (Are you really ever done?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love graphics and fonts! Display tag for the bike...

PFM-Vkz2JWY9vCYpBny3CjGLp0YHptKKaMOD9cABigAkbzI54V6AnPOxwb0bBhzyKHJRX-quFjFB1UClR-53c7W30xXe7IOIFdcoiSq6T7M4zkGTOUk4UVWpZjLutYf0BRHpyjc8Evi0xGA5Tj69phwDcYH61osV0Np5QtCwa13csQ_qqEIjpios-3otiaT1HZZ3dUhyBHkWdOHXzcz9T161n-0JOyFF_yLjjPu-1PDujwpDKCfaUCzOwX3LW4ll5Pv06VLfIlhOjfX4eI1hzNMqA3MxZCGBqmbNUn18Lr3Bwwzt2PJpb2zpxXHJEzU7bMy2taWAyjt-aZ8p9Qqg8aPj3mCobvsmtcp8c8t__iO9tp0y5KBVJupHs6uRRA2XysMmTr9LnRXwcjF9p8Pd2WhbTs7MD0AGtFZG1UcXHeAYS3fxsZVp0KdIcHukUdbKzHuhofqca4P5y7ibREOIgnet9xoA8tnpSNDXJNLh4VqoBUE_MzxZ8ksyEjfdQXVT4Xpaf9HmCGRV5-OuxEQxCl6I5Qan0_MrUTKhhN0H064RTr5aVu6JUjgs8hEVwiLau6WShD9TLf1uZtKTALSuDjDtb5cSDPqZ0D7vR9lICJS6c4uMHmLeFFKTn5zesdQerNm3r4TXnMxLHyA-JqmvsZLaiQ=w716-h954-no

You really gota race your bike cross country. Thirty miles or less is ideal as the hot shots go for 50 or more. You want to intimidate the unsuspecting. You will kick butt. Lower yourself over the bars, extreme low, no cranking allowed downhill, just drifting, and don't worry bout the chatter bumps, the Columbia will handle it. Braking when you are about to overtake a downhill cranker is not allowed. In fact, no braking on a downhill is allowed. The goal is to have so much chatter that you'r vision is blurry, I'm sure you know what I' talking about. On the downhills you will save energy from your Low gearing and you will catch the upright people cranking. Go for it on the downhill rough, your bike will correct its self, you may even go up on rock berms and slide out sideways to pass incompetent riders ( by accident). You will blast buy the timed. They will pass you on the flats but they will be intimidated by your 70 year old technology and pissed off. I like that, and so will you. No one will say good job at the end of the race, they will be pissed. One of my favorite reasons for racing Klunkers. By 20 miles you will be left with the young fat people and the 60 year olds guys trying to prove something (I'm 73 and will kill myself trying to out do these guys and the young fats), I can't compete with 60 year old gals though, I see a grey pony tall ahead of me and I slow down. Sometimes they come back to see if Im dead, I ruin their race as well as mine. Most gals won't fall for the old timer death trip, but one usually does. I have a long history of being an AH, ask my wife. I worried about busting a cheap repo fork or breaking an axle, but for high speed cross country 70 year old technology is up to it (use hardened axles). These are the only positive comments out of hundreds of riders I herd, "you gotta respect the single speed riders," "Wow look at his bike", "yeah" from observers when I passed a bunch of riders on a dreaded sand pit downhill. People will ignore you or give you the cold shoulder as you blow by them. At the end of he race you will be persona non gratis. It's sad, they don't know the origin of their sport. This to me is the essence of modern Klunking. I wish I was 20 again with the same distain for all thing digital. Down with the elitists MB I say. Race that thing, but only cross country, modern single track with a Klunker means you gotta go slow or else the rock gardens will toss you off into the OBIS. This is advice and encouragement from an an old guy who never takes his own advice. That is why I'm still alive. Most of my friends are dead, especially the ones who took my advice.

Last edited:
Took the 40 out for its first trail ride and downhill endurance test. Easy fire road for the first five miles, just a few rattles... then the half mile push up a trail named “heck Hill”. There is a +600’ elevation change on this one. Great view at the top and prepped for the decent...

#whousesaplasticcoasterbrakestrap

First hard braking corner and ohh snap! Ended up walking most of the downhill as not to completely blow apart the coaster brake. The hub separated a bit and was still ok in forward motion, but it’s time to rebuild it. Overall fun 12 mile ride and did I get some strange looks and good conversation from the guys on +$3k mountain bikes.

acc55061e71f9bbad9fb97a3de1faf12.jpg

Coster Brake Garage Builder

Nice! How’s it lookin out there after the fires?

I have metal cb straps if ya need one

Trails were great, moist from the rains. The wash was coated in what looked like an oil slick, but it was just fine black ash from all the run off. I’m sure the fire department flattened everything during the Hill fire. Plenty of vantage point from this area.

Took the 40 out for its first trail ride and downhill endurance test. Easy fire road for the first five miles, just a few rattles... then the half mile push up a trail named “heck Hill”. There is a +600’ elevation change on this one. Great view at the top and prepped for the decent...

#whousesaplasticcoasterbrakestrap

First hard braking corner and ohh snap! Ended up walking most of the downhill as not to completely blow apart the coaster brake. The hub separated a bit and was still ok in forward motion, but it’s time to rebuild it. Overall fun 12 mile ride and did I get some strange looks and good conversation from the guys on +$3k mountain bikes.

acc55061e71f9bbad9fb97a3de1faf12.jpg

Wow, that's nice

Not sure how to respond to that, not my philosophy = I’ve broken my fingers, wrist, arm, 5 ribs, collapsed a lung, got a concussion, broken wheels, frames, bars, helmets and probably more.....

Klunk on!

105dc4926f605a79a632fb77fce2619e.jpg

Me too, busted almost everything, 2 MB frames, helmet, myself. My double spinal fusion in the fall of 2017 and 73 years are preventing me from trying a lot of stuff I used to do or still want to do. I'm much more cautious on the big jump lines and high beamed down hill runs. It's not as much fun, but still fun. I went over the bars last summer on a downhill jump trail and decided that I need to quit that. The jump got badly eroded while I was recovering from surgery and didn't realize it. I found out later that a younger but one armed rider I know went over the bars in this spot too. My 74 year old riding buddy broke his wrist last spring and had to ride road bikes pretty much one handed all summer. My long distance and rough riding days are coming to a close. My fingers and butt get too sore now. Only 3 of us over 72 are still riding in the local MB clubs as one guy died suddenly last year.

How's the homemade hite rite coming along?

Detour, I found a great deal on a true - Hite-Rite and thought I would give that a try...

1qvV_zDUtACorr8jvGdqvKzUTY0Ee_GvrUfC0RCfk_69l3XMFCkRHvC3ue-dF-w85WlMSJyzaFen1-hcCxT2XjVWIkqtb5BdgTTdPsiIRzQeK3ucSMFGXAiYzMxUGTPbs_-0lMs71YBKiwM9MBIeNTlBesFmmyrmgCr7ztCVuebAlfie13bZ98JYa5uwGLxaiWO032VSBBJNS4ZVYYd4LPTbqa5KSeEXq3kETFL-By6PAwF08nkvoXRg5Uo0LS9h0TBiChHTIv0b1y_qwg-UcC5ka0Cag2b8EO7oaAS2AhP1xcixHXGzmwybcMoBst92TAatkhFtDvDyNJqQ6I6Sj9JovbOOYGkCJNW9ZLqFHo4gTkpBWigaQw47TpGNhORUUJSkapwvkWH2MYZ2uj-_FyiWOsKC-uSiKBabZvNi2sVcl0faBlk8_xoY5FT5jJFog16wRApGpyPYos8E6FCabnvkGFY31v0rBhRfXAM-YYZ7PNFRTUn9agVZHdPkXSOMvA7dO0DI4Jnj-eOUSU-5nJdl7UqU8JfJce-Njlmz7k_M3vxJddz4NilrivA1Bvz3wzR_ae9KW1xdapeNiAhye0IWrRlAxu-dWn3NFdHmPTpYc2sXOk2gJQ06BnKqlZCSil08BXNAI1n_VZ2Neb4VwNDX214EwlTTF0C-44W5pxlh-ximOKSJcbQ=w1271-h953-no

Just need to resolve the 5/8" post issue...

racPZGZCd3gxzE3PCZBf8wWKY_s_rUZQGE2EJkhc06a7QlBk1T6MYB40rOowEhUckb0Hnid7hXiQ5kdzQO-oo7TTaC-0hXvM2YqhrlN6S-PU1MRGBq79WsYmfszG3BtZIXkQoTGQleOxKDsfypxKdCGgaFgdLOrEhp-If-eQsTrau-hGoSgR7O92RNpsTxYh0dbfQMQ7-fRgfgcCLenn1tSCvIEg1Bb3ZQ57UYa9mgDstcXg_CRQbSZnFJBMy7wMhrQ-_YDHOBk0Ewmt4NP6xlAmn5lKE8_veEKNUzG5kEjQBMAEw81VuX9rcT8018TYmBzmqkOZ7NsFzs2CkMUepUyGybs-VqjJYSBIQ2cdsjNxjdSethxdA97MnMmNpgVWB-kCi7PT1j2s5QLrObeoYJIKllCm74hfS6vJwo7UNFP5hpRJXL4PnzOp--pAjGpSiOBwX5T-FyvYB9woLZMEXc_r_X70BzUd4CDk1aHDLceBxrtYExuGPTD9a6JAIXyWBlfKLjUvPPz0zqoX3ciaaQU4WphTLUCkwZJhPvkGyeyUNXvJw5hYl9T6sAc95TsTgjQJYK6-sWajOvM63oXHBI2-SchWzM2CjoQL3Y6nx9OWISZ6YAxFdvxIN69XENU36NXOKkX3UyoK2jB0n_cBit3Gl_hZGlxPCZgvC3ll60aK6rNYOOUpW6w=w715-h953-no

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back