Klunkerz

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got one? Building one? Wanna build one? What's the hot setup? Got Pictures?

Discuss...

Dennis

Clunkers Eh?

Very nice builds! This dude is without doubt a skilled craftsman. This type of build was being done many years ago in my old somplng grounds. N. CA. They just called them Mountain Bikes back then. Pretty sure this is where that term came from in later years. Later & PEACE!!! :mrgreen:

I'm about to build one. My LBS has a late eighties Murray arch frame cruiser that the owner refuses to pick up after having a new wheel installed, so I can get it for the cost of the wheel ($30). It already has flat bars and knobby tires, but I'm planning on swapping them. Poetically enough, it's the exact same frame and color as the other rat bike I have, but it's missing the fenders and chainguard, which is fine.
plans include an aluminum flat bar, a theadless -converter stem set, Tioga 2.4" yellow kirin/blue dragon tires (slightly used, free from a DH racing buddy who hated them) and a white and brite blue paintjob with either red or white painted rims. Probably swap the chainring for one off a kids bike to get a low gear. Considering a tank plate with a nose-art type graphic. Probably run a MTB race seat, and maybe even clipless pedals, just as a lark if the threads match. Love to hit it with some ultra tough 3pc BMX cranks, but that costs $$ while I have most of the rest sitting in the shop.
I'll try to post pics if it ever takes off.

there is a video comming out that covers the history of clunkers that will be avalible at local bike shops. not sure when it will be released i personally am very excited about it.
it seems there are two versions of clunkers the early ones that still have coaster breaks, and are basicly just stock cruisers with knobby tires. then there are the later more advanced clunkers that used canti brakes, aluminum rims, 5 spd derail setups ect.... all depends on what period you want to go with.

hooch i am sure you know why they called that race repack but lets see if anyone else knows why it was called that. repack was one of the first "downhill" events.

karfer67 said:
hooch i am sure you know why they called that race repack but lets see if anyone else knows why it was called that. repack was one of the first "downhill" events.

I know the answer, but i didn't until this morning when I was reading through some clunker history links. I'll give someone else a chance to answer.

Dennis

yep. had to repack the rears because the coaster would get so hot they'd burn off the grease (!!!!)

When I get mine built, it's coaster only and one speed, just better bars and contact points.

I think the movie is called Repack. I can't wait, I think it's pretty close to being available.

Speaking of bike flicks, if you have a chance to see the movie 24Solo, about Chris Eatough's bid at another national champ for 24 hour solo racing, it's great. My bike club rented a local theater and had a public showing.

sure, some of the original guys did. I bet it was pretty common on discarded bikes of the day. I think one of the bikes in the previously posted links had that set-up.

This thread came out of a post I had in the classifieds for Nexus 7, so I though I would post here also

Picked up a Schwinn 55 repop on the local Craigslist a couple of weeks ago, slowly clunkering it, have some bmx cruiser bars and a stem coming for it and might go bmx style fork up front still undecided would look more gear though, possibly just a set of truss rods.

Before
IMG_0312.jpg

Now, bmx layback seatpost, old school GT BB 36T ring, stock schwinn was horribly overgeared probably had a top speed of about 70, Got some Holy Roller meats on, not period but look real good. Put an old brooks of mine on, but I forgot how uncomfortable they are(no offensive to Sheldon, but he's completely misinformed on the seat/saddle issue), have a cruiser seat for now. Might put one of my newer mountain bilke seats on, since I'm not gonna be period gonzo.

IMG_0325.jpg

Latest posts

Back