RRBBO13 Klunkstar - DNF

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why not!! I've been pretty much absent from here for the past couple of years except for the occasional lurk to see what's happening. I'm starting with a Malvern Star Cruisestar frame I've had for around 10 years. The frame is currently hanging from rafters in my storage shed and has been for around 5 years.
This will be be different to most of my previous builds. No fabrication........just parts selection and fitting. The aim is to build a klunkerish style bike that looks like it came that way from the factory. I have some SunRims Double Wide downhill rims already laced up to a NOS Sachs front hub, and a Velosteel coaster rear. I'll have to dig through storage bins, but I think I have a good Brooks saddle, a set of Moto bars, and a BMX style 26" fork. I'm also sure I've got some cranks and pedals that will suit, so hopefully all I'll have to buy will be tires, tubes and a chain. The paint is still great, so I'll be leaving the frame black and painting the fork to suit.

Nothing earth shattering, and a bike I always intended to build anyway, so might as well do it here for RRBBO13!

The bike when I originally bought it
xqZg8Ij.jpg

Always glad to see a Bean build!
Hope you're doing well man. Good to see you in BO13

Welcome back to the fray! Sounds like you've got a kool klunker in the works. RaT oN~!

Dug out some parts. I only get to my storage shed once a week, so grabbed a few things today. I have to sand and paint the fork, strip the tires off the wheels and clean them up, and sand and paint the bars and stem. Given the small amount of spare time I have, work on this build will be sporadic, and I probably won't be taking too many pics......just befores and afters.

Fork and saddle
beQ3CYdl.jpg

Wheels
zaoRe1wl.jpg

qsMHNU7l.jpg

Bars and Stem
9K6moAZl.jpg

I had a couple of hours today, so managed to get a couple of things done. I bought a pair of 2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers from my LBS and fitted them to the wheels.....they look nice and fat on the DoubleWide rims :). Also pulled down the frame from the rafters and gave it a quick wipe over and fitted a set of old Shimano 600 cranks and bear trap pedals. The frame has a Euro BB, with a sealed cartridge unit installed from new. The chainwheel is a 42 tooth and the rear sprocket is a 20, so gearing should be OK. The rear hub is a Velosteel......not the best coaster hub, but it's already laced to the rim, and I'm not going to build another wheel.

0mpLR4Kl.jpg

QKCm0Zwl.jpg

RD2TAIIl.jpg

4rW74TTl.jpg

6AzNFPtl.jpg

Cz0iuxrl.jpg

Always glad to see a Bean build!
Hope you're doing well man. Good to see you in BO13

Thanks Brian. I am doing well, and hope you are as well. Still working my butt off working full time, playing gigs and renovating. Our house that we moved out of a few years ago is just finished and ready for the market though. I can start to take it easy again when it's sold, and do some more bike building and riding.

I got the fork painted. It was pretty rusty and the chrome was flaking, so took a lot of sanding. I painted it with rattlecan Kilrust, an epoxy rust preventative paint we get in Australia. The pic isn't the best, but it came out very well, and has been hanging in the sun hardening for a few days. Should get it on, and be able to throw some other parts on for a pic this weekend.

PPVbXVll.jpg

Are you going to 'black out' the stem and bars, Bean? Why stop there....cranks, and seat post, and spokes....then you'd really have a stealth klunker!

looking sharp

stalin.jpg

With less than a week to go, I won't get any time to paint the bars or strip it back and clean too much, so I'll just have to chuck in a bit of grease and take some pics. All good though, sometimes the important stuff has to come first :)

Cross that finish line Mr. Bean!

1237468867.gif

Missed out on the deadline :arghh:. Been flat out for a while now, but managed to get the bike finished, and had planned on taking pics on Sunday (the only time I had free this week). The bike is stored 30 miles away, and was going to pick it up, have a ride and take some pics at a local MTB trail, but got a last minute gig request, and couldn't say no to a $600 gig! I'll take some pics soon and post it in a different section.

Latest posts

Back