Love the new blade profile, really makes it.Goodwill Hunting Knife
Opened up the Tandy Leather Co. sheath kit this morning and got a start on it. First thing I did was a 'dry fit' of my blade in the sheath. A little tight, so I did what I'd been thinking of doing anyway, and took the sharp corner off the back end of the blade. Has better flow now, and less of a 'cleaver' kind of look.
View attachment 151359View attachment 151358
I used some virgin olive oil to darken or 'patina' the veg-tanned leather. Then grabbed the stamps I had purchased at Tandy and the wooden mallet, and embossed some design onto the sheath.
View attachment 151360
View attachment 151361
You can see the original color on the right, which will be the inside of the sheath, and then what happened after I applied about 3 coats of oil to the leather on the left.
View attachment 151362
I found that I needed about a dozen strikes with the mallet to get an impression on the leather that was deep enough to be seen. In the photo above, I had only hit it about 6 or 7 times. Here are the pieces drying in the sun. The oiled leather lightens as it dries, so I will likely add more this afternoon.
View attachment 151363
View attachment 151364
I've not worked with leather much, but you could also do some equivalent an ink wash on the to get the embossing to pop out more. Like what you would do with model painting.