Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodwill Hunting Knife
Opened up the Tandy Leather Co. sheath kit this morning and got a start on it. First thing I did was a 'dry fit' of my blade in the sheath. A little tight, so I did what I'd been thinking of doing anyway, and took the sharp corner off the back end of the blade. Has better flow now, and less of a 'cleaver' kind of look.

View attachment 151359View attachment 151358

I used some virgin olive oil to darken or 'patina' the veg-tanned leather. Then grabbed the stamps I had purchased at Tandy and the wooden mallet, and embossed some design onto the sheath.
View attachment 151360

View attachment 151361

You can see the original color on the right, which will be the inside of the sheath, and then what happened after I applied about 3 coats of oil to the leather on the left.

View attachment 151362

I found that I needed about a dozen strikes with the mallet to get an impression on the leather that was deep enough to be seen. In the photo above, I had only hit it about 6 or 7 times. Here are the pieces drying in the sun. The oiled leather lightens as it dries, so I will likely add more this afternoon.

View attachment 151363

View attachment 151364
Love the new blade profile, really makes it.

I've not worked with leather much, but you could also do some equivalent an ink wash on the to get the embossing to pop out more. Like what you would do with model painting.

Goodwill Hunting Knife
Opened up the Tandy Leather Co. sheath kit this morning and got a start on it. First thing I did was a 'dry fit' of my blade in the sheath. A little tight, so I did what I'd been thinking of doing anyway, and took the sharp corner off the back end of the blade. Has better flow now, and less of a 'cleaver' kind of look.

I used some virgin olive oil to darken or 'patina' the veg-tanned leather. Then grabbed the stamps I had purchased at Tandy and the wooden mallet, and embossed some design onto the sheath.
View attachment 151360

View attachment 151361

You can see the original color on the right, which will be the inside of the sheath, and then what happened after I applied about 3 coats of oil to the leather on the left.

View attachment 151362

I found that I needed about a dozen strikes with the mallet to get an impression on the leather that was deep enough to be seen. In the photo above, I had only hit it about 6 or 7 times. Here are the pieces drying in the sun. The oiled leather lightens as it dries, so I will likely add more this afternoon.

View attachment 151363

View attachment 151364
Also, you posted this update in the discussion thread. Oops!

Goodwill Hunting Knife

View attachment 151360

View attachment 151361

View attachment 151362

View attachment 151363

View attachment 151364
Looks good. It's easier to work leather on a granite slab, but obviously not
Oh, it's necessary all right! My clay tile is now in 4 pieces!
Oh, also getting the leather wet softens it.

My wife has this interesting trowel knife from Fiskars. It's based on a Japanese gardening tool.
20210218_090118.jpg

The blade is dished like a trowel, but has a sharp edge and serrations one one side.
20210218_090502.jpg

It's great for getting through small to medium undground roots.

If I got into forging, I'd like to make a higher quality version of this kind.

They are called a few different things, hedge witch, hori hori, when they have the measurements on them, I've seen em called planter's knife, root knife, etc. Gotta get my lady one for her garden. Hmmmm the kids just got a mother's day idea
il_794xN.2304595050_3rq1.jpg

Can't afford that one...

I hope so too. It will be a super cool look.

With four lanyard holes you can lash it to a stick and call it a survival tool.
First thing I thought was that they'd make great lanyard holes

do post up a pic of your sheath though. Sounds intriguing.
Because you asked, not because I'm proud, I present Evidence of Why Matti Don't Enter the Contests.
IMG_20210219_115614318.jpg

Cardboard, and tape. It's my garage knife. I've got them squirreled away all over the place

Since I’m using bolts, not pins, should I skip the epoxy, or do both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5c6fb35b2ae4d0aaed0657611bac8d69.jpg

Now I’m thinking that an aluminum handle might look nice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back