Kustom Coaster III (Completed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kustom Coaster III

Spent the day making insurance phone calls and cleaning up storm debris. Took a pic of my striping area...
2yvy4u7y.jpg

Got a couple of roof replacement estimates today and did more yard cleanup.
Also finished up the first can of Zip-Strip on the former green frame.
e8abera2.jpg
yjybeqaz.jpg

Under the green was white over the factory purple. Think the purple may become the base coat for sanding and primer. We'll see how it goes. Need to decide on top coat color.

WOW! your rig looks like someone attacked it with a ball peen hammer so sorry! love the bike! and the fact you your still go outside :shock:

Did some power and hand sanding today.
uquzaty8.jpg

Shot some primer, can see where I need to do more sanding. Door panels coming.
qasatuzu.jpg
y7u4y7yt.jpg
ete9e5e7.jpg

Oil Rubbed Bronze, Hammered Copper, Multicolor Textured (rusty look), or Satin Cinnamon???
hatuduza.jpg
e2yhy6y7.jpg

I like the Satin Cinnamon. It looks like an upscale primer red.

Funny Randy. My wife picked the Cinnamon, Kingfish. Tricky I like the Copper also, but my experience with Hammered paint last year didn't go well. It was hard to get the hammered effect to show up. I guess my first choice was the Oil Rubbed Bronze, I've seen a similar powder coated color that really popped not sure the paint will come out the same way. The Cinnamon and the Bronze laid down the best when I tested them. The Bronze almost appears black with a metallic effect.

The wheels are 40's 36h drop center rims from a auto/bike swap meet, with an Origin 8 front hub and a Sturmey Archer 3spd CB rear hub and 14 gage SS spokes. Tires may be the Intense 26x2.25 or something a bit wider. Seems to be a lot of clearance on the GT Glide frame I have a pair of Maxxis HookWorms 26x2.5 on a older Shelby that I might switch out. They are pricey.
3aratase.jpg
egypatam.jpg
ju2e4ara.jpg
2yqamy2a.jpg

The wheel set were not a part of the bike frame I started with. I bought a set of the green Electra closeout wheels and just liked the color. I also have a pink rear wheel and a tan front wheel I could use...whoa.

Re: Kustom Coaster III (Mockups and wet paint ahead)

Did some mockup today while waiting on phone calls to be returned.
ura9u3u2.jpg
paqu6ara.jpg
yty7yjus.jpg
3a2amuzy.jpg
ajahapyp.jpg
ebyjyher.jpg
hyge5ana.jpg

Brass and copper for mounting lights
7y5uvate.jpg

I recognize that mock up fence from last year.
It's really coming together well.
Love the car door and that headlight is killer. I almost bought an insulator at a yard sale this past weekend.

Better get those insulators while they're cheap. Worked on light mounting ideas this afternoon. Not to happy with rear idea. Front will probably work out.
ru9etuzu.jpg
jesabanu.jpg
8y6yse5y.jpg
saragyse.jpg
yhe3y6ys.jpg

Paint samples on old pipe...initially liked the oil rubbed bronze, now I'm not sure.
a9u7ese6.jpg
ma6udyme.jpg
amyvy3a8.jpg
du7yju3y.jpg

May rethink frame color???

Front light bracket fine tuned...this will allow for adjusting the tilt position of light by adding holes if desired.
6uju3a4y.jpg
degezata.jpg

YEAH!!! I DIG IT. INTENSE FOR SURE. GTB!! PEACE

kingfish254 said:
I like the Satin Cinnamon. It looks like an upscale primer red.
:lol:
gotta go with the Cinnamon to but for other reasons!

justride said:
Holy smokes! That is some serious hail! Glad everyone is ok (save for the Mazda, which looks like it has small pox).
Well MazdaFlyer survived the SF insurance adjuster without being totaled and will live on to haul bikes for a while longer.
Photo from last years build.
4uje8e8y.jpg

Picked up 3 new paint colors today. Aged Copper, Flat Soft Iron and Satin Oregano. The first four just weren't working for me or my wife. May need to have a slightly used paint sale. Rattle can lids just don't show the real color.

Latest posts

Back