Kustom Kruiser Double Down

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen one of these bad boys...Kustom Kruiser Double Down? Is Kustom Kruiser still in business? Price? :?:

doubledown.jpg

A buddy got back from Australia and saw a couple (?) and was ravin' on about how cool they are...

G7_DOUBLEDDOWN_m.jpg

http://www.kustomkruiser.com/catalog/double.php

Yeah, my friend has one... they aren't the best, but good for a basic sorta cruiser. They have a lot of things that cruisers/choppers don't need, like suspension forks and disk brakes, but if you can find a cheap one they're nice. Although they are pretty small

Having just bought one on 10/28/09 I can tell you personally what I think about the Kustom Kruiser Double Down. If you are the type of person that gets a rush out of being noticed on your bike (I think most of us on this site are) then this bike is definitely for you. It is the coolest looking bike that I have ever seen in person bar none! This thing stops people in thier tracks and they just stare or point or both.

Unfortunately it is not the most practical bike to ride. The design of the bike is so that you are sitting really low and the postion of the pedals are not far enough in front of any rider that is 5'7" (may be 5'6") tall to get a steady rotation of the crank. If you want a bike that looks really cool while you commute long distances with it then this bike is not for you. If you are just taking a slow cruise down the boardwalk or cruising slow around the nieghborhood for a second (again not very good for long distance riding if you are just average height, this is a bike for shorter people) or just like me willing to put up with it's short comings because of the bike's cool factor then this bike is for you.

One thing that is annoying about this bike is that it shifts out of the gear you put it in too easily. You have to be mindful of the shifter when you have to grip it tight or you will find yourself constantly accidentally shifting the bike out of the desired gear. Also the rear fender on my bike rubs the rear tire slightly. I can deal with it but I would of course perfer not to. The bike it suprisingly light, I can easily lift it with one hand. I guess that is due to the Aluminum frame and fiberglass tank and rear fender.

Another issue with this bike is that the front disc brake is not independent from the supension fork. When you hit the front brake lever this causes the front end to slightly bounce or dip. This is not a real big problem for me though. The crank on the bike is a really cool looking chromed out three piece.

The ride itself is a smooth cruising kind of ride so much to the point you will not forget it's a cruiser bike definitely made for just that. I just wish that it was designed better to accommodate adult riders (average height and up) like it was intended to do. I guess it's like it's an adult chopper that you ride like a BMX bike (meaning that you can easily stand up on it and ride in the standing position). So if you had sitting on your a** mind while you cruise then once again this bike is not for you as you will encounter situations that it's just better for you stand up on the bike instead of sitting.

All in all If I knew then what I know now about the bike I probably would not have bought it but bought the Phat Cycles XR-3 like I started to do. Instead I got cheap and bought the KKDD. Like I said though as far as mass produced bikes go, in my opinion, this bike is the champion of cool.

gcbike said:
would you mind posting a pic with you sitting on it,so I can see how small it is

Sure look for the pics this weekend, I am also going to post this bike for $300 on Craigslist DC. I was riding the bike the other day and I hit the brakes on some wet leaves and the bike slide from under me and it now has a minor blemish on the gas tank but it is not noticeable unless you are looking hard (the fork hides it). If that had not happened I would ask for $350.00, I got this bike 10/28/09. It's been ridden maybe three times around the block and once to work.

deorman said:
Good place for a chinese motor. :|

The way the frame is designed I not sure how that could be done but I did not think of that as an alternative to conventional peddleling. I will look into that.

gcbike said:
I'll paypal it for $300 shipped

I said $300 because I was trying to sell this bike locally but If I had to ship it then that would be $300 plus whatever the cost would be to ship it. one thing is that I would have to take it ot my LBS to have it boxed up (I threw the oringal box away) I can not lose much more that I already have. If you are far from DC or on the east coast it should not cost more that $50 to ship it but that is my guesstimate.

gcbike said:
these bikes are only $394 shipped new and yours has been damaged.

I fully understand because that is what I would be thinking too, that is why I would rather sell this bike locally. The minor damage is considered in the $300 local sale price. The damage on the front of the tank is not major enough for at least a $150.00 mark down. I just got this bike on 10/28/09 right out of the box. If I had not put the blemish on it I would have been asking $350 local sale price. We're talking about a bike that has been ridden maybe three times. I understand that I can not get what I paid for it but at this point I would like to recover as much of my money as possible.

gcbike said:
good luck with that,and thanks for the pics

Hey my man, you don't have to be sarcastic when I was being courteous to you and I am sure I will get $300 for the bike, I am a man with a wife and kids and getting the pics posted just did not fit into what I had to do this weekend. I know I said I would post them this weekend and the fact that I didn't I humbly apologize. I will still post them shortly for anyone else who is still interested in the actual size of this bicycle.

You at least could have waited until Monday (weekend's over) to make your comment.

after owning mine for 6 weeks I received a email from bicycle bananas and they are now $95 less.I have opened a complaint with the bbb,if I get no response I will report it to paypal

In case anyone is still interested this is what I did to make the KKDD rideable for me. Note the changes: handlebars, tires are Electra Fatti-O (white wall) in the rear and Electra hotster, also white wall up front. Cateye headlights and rubber handlebar grips. Copy and past link to your browser.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/phot ... =3&theater

Latest posts

Back