LaidBack - TransWorld Motobike Rat - Patinafication & Details - 85 Years

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MazdaFlyer I'm still curious what part did you order from the great country of Pierogi & Kielbasa :crazy:
174fea8711a4f343198060577a2667eb.jpg

Took about a month for it to get here. Pretty neat bracket. Heavy duty also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank looks good. I hope whatever I build looks as good.
It’s been raining here for around 24 hours straight. Thinking I should have done a boat.
Thanks, glad it speaks to others. About $15 in 28ga galvanized steel if you don’t screw up. Time is another story. I’m happy with the result. I’d change a couple of things if I were to do another.
I have another Excelsior or Elgin Motobike that could use a tank but the dimensions are different. If I get crazy I might try one for it.

Last edited:
^ I think the 'cord' is the thing he IS going to do something with, TRM! (and I'm reasonably sure you do too!)

Vintage wiring for a custom vintage light with the most modern bulb you can find. Only on ratrodbikes.com can you find such ingenuity.

The rain is a bummer, hope the tornadoes leave you alone.

The tank turned out nice!

I like the iron but you might need to do something with that cord. ;)
Again a “Thank You” is in order to another “Master Fabricator”. Agreed the cord probably needs to be replaced, probably not safe for AC current. Mother’s Day is coming up though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^ I think the 'cord' is the thing he IS going to do something with, TRM! (and I'm reasonably sure you do too!)

Vintage wiring for a custom vintage light with the most modern bulb you can find. Only on ratrodbikes.com can you find such ingenuity.

The rain is a bummer, hope the tornadoes leave you alone.
That’s a novel idea for using the cord. That’s what I’ve always liked about these builds, the sharing of and collaboration of build ideas. You maybe onto something OJ. Thanks.
It rained all night, at least it wasn’t real heavy. Sump pump is getting a workout. We’ve had issues with one basement wall leaking in past with 6”-8” of rain. I was up most of the night on flood watch. The creek was running heavy 6”+ deep, it has calmed down. Water ponding on flat ground. The dogs have walk down it like a couple of kids.
The KS turnpike I35 was closed from ICT to OK border due to flood and ponding water. Part of is is still closed this morning. Some area schools closed today. More rain forecast this afternoon into evening...longing for some sun.

Your moving at a better then snails pace on this build. Looks really good MFer that’s Mazda flyer for short . [emoji6]

Thanks G-M!!!
The snail was actually moving at pretty good pace. Seem to have a bunch around this year. The Beagle has eaten a few...escargot doggie style.
Glad you clarified the MFer, as I can think of another reference to be made which isn’t family friendly. LOL
Build On!

Beautiful metalwork so far on that tank!
Killer fork bending idea too.

Beautiful metalwork so far on that tank!
Killer fork bending idea too.
Thanks for the props! Good to see you show up here again. Hope things are working out for you.

41 degrees this morning, wind chill in 30’s. Raining had stopped. I put some tools away cleaned some metal shavings and cuttings, put some tools away. I moved back to driveway to mount hanging tank brackets and trimmed the front end of the donor fender.
c0f28f97a3d89786ea9e7f27376b21b3.jpg
2a6720ad4ebbeb27462183ea81c7b634.jpg
a363f0a33651850adfeddac79f420c27.jpg
92ddbb04998df34e3d3a28dfff4c7a3d.jpg
b7c299b384c9da1b664443f4fe8da832.jpg

7254ca7e1e995971f7dec2a185ae863c.jpg
8adf2e79544ef72e93ed2dd780d032d5.jpg
5a459a44d8cf476cc95e53bb490454c3.jpg

I also removed the extra fender brace. Ready to clean up some parts but it needs to warm up and dry out some.
52edeb21d6d0e9986a1020326110d6ec.jpg

Last edited:
Loving that tank!

You can hear how wet the ground is as you walk around in that video...
Thanks!
I’m liking the result also. Tempted to do Ver.3.0 though, there are a few things I’d change and tweak.
I noticed the slushing noise also, it was like walking through a swamp. Basement stayed dry. Now if it would just warm up I’d get back to some parts cleaning.
877bb09738821fb8841add7ce84d18f2.jpg
f0030178d1738f72af242a035c7342e1.jpg

The Sun is out, 58 degrees. I moved the TransWorld Motobike build to the shade tree area. I managed to cleanup the crank assembly, kickstand, chain guard and bottom bracket bearing race, washer and nut. They were incrusted with a lot of aged dried grease, dirt and sand.
I let the chain soak/marinate in a plastic bag of degreaser while cleaning the first group of parts. I then scraped both sides with a putty knife and then brass brushed both sides. It cleaned up pretty good with only a couple of sticky links.
527223822b1f46e96cc885cd7f116e1e.jpg

d6c415813fc07161dce06bfa575b8359.jpg

8c1af9d693866a2dc1d24c706dd8bddd.jpg

Portable tool and supply box.
5527376051fb11622fff36d039948fcc.jpg

Next step will be cleanup of frame and fork or wheelset. When I get the frame and fork cleaned I’ll decide on their fate, preservation or repaint. That will also determine finish for tank, fenders and chainguard.

Looks really good. The tank is the extra mile that makes it a contender. I've got the same chainring, but all barked up on my '53 Spitfire. I'm thinking about moving into the 60's and ditching the skiptooth...

Carl

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Love to see the shadows on that cleaning supply tray! Bring it on! We've got near 80 scheduled for Thurs - Fri next week.

Latest posts

Back