L'Angelo di Ferro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice metal work. How are you making (what appears to be) the lugs. Will you be brazing, or using TIG?
Thanks, right now I'm still using my MIG but i'm thinking I'm going to have to learn to braze for this project because there are some areas that will be super hard to grind clean. I have a TIG but my skills are lacking and my welds rarly come out like I'd hoped.

I think those lugs are unique and a work of art. If you got brass to flow in like solder, it would be gorgeous. But even if you use MIG or TIG they'll still look great. Again, NICE metal work!

Thanks, right now I'm still using my MIG but i'm thinking I'm going to have to learn to braze for this project because there are some areas that will be super hard to grind clean. I have a TIG but my skills are lacking and my welds rarly come out like I'd hoped.

TIG welds look great once you get good at it...I never really have :) But they also give frames that modern BMXy, Mt.Bikey look..

I wouldn't hesitate to use the MIG also, especially if you are going to be shaping and smoothing your joints the way you did last go round.

Oh man!... what, like only five pieces roughed in and this is already looking beautiful. Nice curves! Can't wait to see what you've got brewing for the fork. Kinda curious about some of the lines I'm seeing sketched in around the seat too.

So i've already broken two of the rules i laid out in my opening statement, I salvaged some old bike parts and I started welding up the frame without a building a proper frame jig. What can I say, I'm cheap lazy and impatient. Here's some pics...

Attachments

• 20170523_182023.jpg
    20170523_182023.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 320
  • 20170525_002807.jpg
    20170525_002807.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 328
  • 20170525_002824.jpg
    20170525_002824.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 20170525_002849.jpg
    20170525_002849.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 334
Looking good! That's some heavy gauge tubing!:eek:

I suck at posting pictures on here.
After you upload your pics, just under the 'file_name.jpg' you have two choices: 'Thumbnail' and 'Full Image'. Chooses full image like you did on your earlier posts. You can go back and edit your previous posts to change them also if you want to.

Looking good! That's some heavy gauge tubing!:eek:

After you upload your pics, just under the 'file_name.jpg' you have two choices: 'Thumbnail' and 'Full Image'. Chooses full image like you did on your earlier posts. You can go back and edit your previous posts to change them also if you want to.
Thanks I'll try that, is there a way to rotate the pictures? I don't know why they transfer wrong, that's not how they come up when I select them. And yeah it is some heavy gauge tubing but I started out using my .083 wall tubes and I was kind of freaked out by how soft and malleable they were so I switched to the .120 gauge tubes I had bought for the fork. Its not the most indestructible design so I want to make sure it doesn't fail. I'm hoping to keep the weight under 75#'s (for the frame anyway ha ha.)

So I decided I wasn't happy with the look of my frame so I cut it apart and rotated the tubes and tacked it back together. I an Sooo much happier with this slight adjustment. It looks so much more dynamic and interesting with the tubes flaring out and staggered with the top tubes wider than the lower pair. Sorry again about the crooked pictures, I'd right them if only I knew how.
20170529_211647.jpg
20170529_212822.jpg
20170529_212903.jpg
20170529_212933.jpg
20170529_212946.jpg
20170529_213028.jpg

Oh wow, I can't tell you how cool it is to see you resurface again. The Elfman is one the coolest builds I have ever seen on RRB. I'm a big fan of your work!
I can't wait to see you work without the restrictions of old frame parts. It looks wicked so far.
Welcome back brother! We can stop playing "Where's Waldo" now. :)

Oh wow, I can't tell you how cool it is to see you resurface again. The Elfman is one the coolest builds I have ever seen on RRB. I'm a big fan of your work!
I can't wait to see you work without the restrictions of old frame parts. It looks wicked so far.
Welcome back brother! We can stop playing "Where's Waldo" now. :)

Thanks, its good to be back. I wanted to build this last year but I was trapped in overtime heck at work. I'm glad I had some time to let it percolate though. Here's today's progress, its been going together smoothly but slowly. Hopefully i can muster the energy to work nights on it. I need to grind as I go so I don't get the point where all the grinding is overwhelming. I'm also realizing that I need to decide on my tire and fender size ASAP because they will determine the frame shape. I decided at that last minute to angle the rear stays opposite one another, pretty happy with the result. It gives this beeach some curvy hips.
20170604_190134_zpseabfwwd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm always amazed at you cats that weld. Great stuff dude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Not much progress during the work week but I'm excited that the fenders arrived today and it looks like they will work! I found these on Ebay for $69 each, which seemed fair but it was a bit over budget for me so I dug around on the internet and found them for $39.99 each + $9.25 shipping for both. I was like, ummm....Ok! Here's a link to the place I got them in case anyone else has been looking for something like this. http://www.jirehcycles.com/

Latest posts

Back