L'Angelo di Ferro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and some under reconstruction shots.
20170710_230638.jpg
20170710_232528.jpg
20170711_001206.jpg
20170711_001211.jpg

So until yesterday I only had a vague idea about how I was going to actually build the fork. I came up with an idea last night to use an old fork as a jig and its working out great. I'm using an 1 1/8 threadless steering tube for the actual fork and I was able to slide it over an old 1" MTB fork and modify the legs to hold my new lower legs. I gotta say bending those lower legs took ALL DAY yesterday including the repairs I had to make to my Harbor Freight tubing roller which I pushed to the limits with this .219 wall tubing. Its been over a year since I first doodled this fork on some scrap paper and I can't wait to see it in reality.

20170716_223111.jpg
20170716_223229.jpg
20170718_002157.jpg
20170718_010234.jpg
20170718_010211.jpg
20170718_010848.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work and clever thinking about the fork jig!
I really like the art deco flow of all the lines on your bike!
Can't wait to see this one finished!

Somehow your fork design reminds me of the "Anker Sichelrad" from the early thirties:
34750c5c9b2c559ef59aee14712e5b99.jpg

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

Great job!

I get the concept now, love the intersecting fork and frame junction!!! Just don't get your finger in there while it's turned!

I can see how that would take all day. And the fact that the tube tapers from end to end makes it even more tedious but also more awesome!

BTW, three weeks left from today.:eek:

Nice work and clever thinking about the fork jig!
I really like the art deco flow of all the lines on your bike!
Can't wait to see this one finished!

Somehow your fork design reminds me of the "Anker Sichelrad" from the early thirties:
34750c5c9b2c559ef59aee14712e5b99.jpg

Actually Kingfish called it a few posts ago. A CCM Flyte was the inspiration for the fork.
ccm flyte..jpg

You're taking this fork beyond a Flyte though!
Actually when you posted the pics of your frame with the regular fork, I was thinking you would use it as a temporary brace/reference point to build your swooping curve piece and then cut out the regular fork. I like the way you've engineered that temp part of the build.
Keep moving brother, this baby is incredible.

Actually Kingfish called it a few posts ago. A CCM Flyte was the inspiration for the fork. View attachment 56273
Never seen that one before. Looks like one big old transatlantic family of swooping forks, with a brand new offspring...! [emoji106]

The lines, the lines. Its just so beautiful ! :heart:.

Awesome.
But will it be able to turn?

@kingfish254,
Not to speak for @bikewhorder but, it looks like the fork will slide under that plate section at the bottom of the steer tube. At least that's what I saw after staring at it for 20 minutes.....
smiley-vector-illustration-hypnotize_7yzA6-_S.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome.
But will it be able to turn?
Well you know it's a popular misconception that the handlebars cause the bike to turn. You could lean a bike over and turn the handlebars in the opposite direction and the bike will still turn the direction you leaned it over. But to answer your question yes it will turn. There's not as much turning action as I had anticipated but it should be plenty.

Awesome, I was just trying to figure it out after also starting at it 20 minutes :)
That shape gets wilder and wilder! It's almost like an ampersand & laying on it's side. :)

20170719_215520.jpg
Here's a video showing the fork in action

I suffered big set back tonight, my Harbor Freight tubing bender gave up the fight with a boom. The threads in the top plate pushed through. Here's a picture of the carnage after I unwound it from the screw. I'll see about getting a replacement top plate but obviously I don't have much (or any) time to wait around for a replacement. If I can find a nut that matches the threads I can weld it on but I'm not sure if these are a standard thread. There's other stuff like the fenders I can work on but I still have a good bit of bending to do. Totally bummin right now:(
20170719_234603.jpg

Last edited:
There's not as much turning action as I had anticipated but it should be plenty.
If you decide that it needs more, you could cut a relief for the frame. If it's boxed in, I don't think it would compromise the strength.
fork relief.jpg

Latest posts

Back