BO15 Lean Mean Green Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a big mess with the JB Weld this afternoon. Tomorrow will be more sanding...
IMG_20200513_191316.jpg

While waiting on the JB Weld to dry I started playing around with headlight placement and style.
IMG_20200513_185806.jpg

IMG_20200513_194212.jpg

IMG_20200513_185712.jpg

Not real thrilled with the converted lantern idea. Thought it was a cool idea when I cut the handle off, but have not found a bike I like it on yet. LOL
It's a toss up between the old school chrome and the funky black one. Chrome one has a 6 volt bulb already from another project, funky one is still 12 volt. It is part of a set of motorcycle driving lights I had on my car.

I'm diggin' the old school chrome, but if the saddle is a keeper, the black one would work too.

I'm diggin' the old school chrome, but if the saddle is a keeper, the black one would work too.
Not sure on saddle, it might stay if I can get rid of the DelSol name on the back. As for the black headlight, I was thinking about painting it green if I used it, but I guess it could stay black. Save a little work. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think the carpet strip flatulence looks great.

I just noticed the rigging you have for the light mount. Have you ridden it yet with those pieces on there? The reason I ask, is because you have part of it mounted to the stationary fork yoke near the headtube, but the lower section is mounted to the axle that will be moving anytime the suspension fork flexes. Something in that rigging is either going to bind up, break, or need to be flexible.

I just noticed the rigging you have for the light mount. Have you ridden it yet with those pieces on there? The reason I ask, is because you have part of it mounted to the stationary fork yoke near the headtube, but the lower section is mounted to the axle that will be moving anytime the suspension fork flexes. Something in that rigging is either going to bind up, break, or need to be flexible.
I'm glad you pointed that out. I was looking at it thinking it's a pretty cool way to mount a light... use a fender support and a strut to the base of the steerer tube. I still think it's cool, just keeping in mind that it's gotta be used on a rigid fork.

Yeah, Kingfish, I was thinking about that too. No, I haven't ridden the bike yet, but I did try pushing down on handlebars a few times. The screw in the crown of the fork is screwed into a little bracket that pivots on the 3/8" bolt that holds the fork together, so there is some flexibility at that point. Not totally sold on the whole mount idea though. The original struts for the fork have mounts for cantilever or V type brakes. I am also thinking about swapping those back into the mix and using the brake mounts to mount the headlight.

Yeah, Kingfish, I was thinking about that too. No, I haven't ridden the bike yet, but I did try pushing down on handlebars a few times. The screw in the crown of the fork is screwed into a little bracket that pivots on the 3/8" bolt that holds the fork together, so there is some flexibility at that point. Not totally sold on the whole mount idea though. The original struts for the fork have mounts for cantilever or V type brakes. I am also thinking about swapping those back into the mix and using the brake mounts to mount the headlight.

Just make sure the brackets and headlight can take the added pounding from a moving springer fork. Should be fine.

This afternoon I grabbed my wood rasp and went to work on the globs of JB Weld on the headers. Kinda like a cheese grater on Bondo. After the worst was leveled out I grabbed the palm sander and got them all smoothed out. Then I applied some wood filler to the gaps and nail holes in the tank. While that dried, I made me a handy stool out an old frame that hasn't found it's way to the dump yet. The old exercise bike seat made a comfy place to park my butt while I sanded down the tank again.
923d6209d1c1272c254987edf2e24f9f.jpg
2960858e47da6b87a9e3e24ccde38eec.jpg
79dde8b3270f723f0fdf1ddfaaacace0.jpg
4f446ad93e991becbf6a4eb6099abbd1.jpg

Painted the headers this afternoon and experimented with different straps to hold the tank. Thinking some wraught copper will be just right. Cutting copper pipe lengthwise and then working the copper with a hammer seems like the way to go. One strap on so far...
IMG_20200515_182830.jpg

Killer wide work stool!

Things have slowed down a bit. Rain today and more forcasted for most of the week. Got the headers redone before the monsoon. Didn't like the bright silvery look of the first paint job. Found this "Dark Steel" Rust-Oleum. Kinda like that color.
The tank is undergoing the rustification process. No photos yet. The multicolor texture spray paint was messing up and instead of spraying it kind of spattered out of the can. Lots of texture now.
Working at the bench in the mower shed this afternoon (raining today). Got the bright work for the tank sides finished. Kinda hard to countersink 1/16" thick stuff. Nearly bored all the way through, but there is enough meat left to catch the screw heads. LOL.
Found an old trailer light I might try to use. Thinking of using the PVC cap to make a body for the light. Nice bullet lens needs something to balance it out.
36ff05f447a68dd60f9a3ab4ef7696bd.jpg
25a9ad6352a5a39a404389e3eb4997b2.jpg

Headers are definitely 'heading' in the right direction! Really dig that color.

Another rainy day. May have to start a Class 2 wooden bike to ride out the monsoon.

The tank is pretty much finished for now. The darker color on headers is definitely much better than the original bright silver I used first. I may need to dust the pipes with a little rusty brown. I really need to find some slotted oval head screws for the trim. I think it would look more vintage that way.

The tail light is coming along. I may have gone a little overboard, not sure. Might look good in that same Dark Steel I painted the headers with? It looks 1950's-ish doesn't it? Need to find some 6 volt peanut bulbs for this and the black headlight.
9a58e1338f1961954b2a7a8bb019e0ac.jpg
934775301342660e0807ca6347bca215.jpg
d8a5ecc6a9f410f389be2c6fa4965dfc.jpg
278c4ee27e2384089bb53da843ad33b0.jpg

Another rainy day. May have to start a Class 2 wooden bike to ride out the monsoon.

The tank is pretty much finished for now. The darker color on headers is definitely much better than the original bright silver I used first. I may need to dust the pipes with a little rusty brown. I really need to find some slotted oval head screws for the trim. I think it would look more vintage that way.

The tail light is coming along. I may have gone a little overboard, not sure. Might look good in that same Dark Steel I painted the headers with? It looks 1950's-ish doesn't it? Need to find some 6 volt peanut bulbs for this and the black headlight.
9a58e1338f1961954b2a7a8bb019e0ac.jpg
934775301342660e0807ca6347bca215.jpg
d8a5ecc6a9f410f389be2c6fa4965dfc.jpg
278c4ee27e2384089bb53da843ad33b0.jpg

Maybe LED bulbs, a little higher voltage though.
a29f62ee46574df1dacb677c4c567c80.jpg

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/wedge-base-bulbs/filter/Reference_Number,74,1,4023:

Last edited:
Awesome finish on the tank. It's coming together very well.

Latest posts

Back