BO15 Lean Mean Green Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cute boy!!! Happy late granddad day.

Tons of cool details in this build. I'm gonna steal the threshold strip material someday in a build. I like the trim texture it adds. Battery pack looks great.
Bars look great where they are at to me, but couldn't hurt to mock them up for a test.
Great build!

You've got some highly RaT-isfying custom parts on this build Andy! A little faux-tina on those copper 'pipes' would help tie them in with the rest of the look you've got going. And I noticed you still have the original battery cable hooked up, so I imagine once you incorporate the vintage looking fabric wound cable that will get clamped closer to either the down tube or the straight bar so it doesn't get so much attention like it does now.

There are a lot of tanks / tank inserts being fabricated in this year's BO 15. I'd have to put yours in the top 3 for sure!

handyandybikebuild.jpg

You've got some highly RaT-isfying custom parts on this build Andy! A little faux-tina on those copper 'pipes' would help tie them in with the rest of the look you've got going. And I noticed you still have the original battery cable hooked up, so I imagine once you incorporate the vintage looking fabric wound cable that will get clamped closer to either the down tube or the straight bar so it doesn't get so much attention like it does now.

There are a lot of tanks / tank inserts being fabricated in this year's BO 15. I'd have to put yours in the top 3 for sure!

View attachment 126488
Thanks OJ. The exhaust pipes will be painted the same color as the headers. Will no doubt get fauxtina-ed up some too.

Yes the real wiring will be tied to the tube under the tank. Thought about cutting the old wire off at the headlight but thought I might need the extra few inside the shell on another project! LOL

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Cute boy!!! Happy late granddad day.

Tons of cool details in this build. I'm gonna steal the threshold strip material someday in a build. I like the trim texture it adds. Battery pack looks great.
Bars look great where they are at to me, but couldn't hurt to mock them up for a test.
Great build!
Thanks, KF!

The hanging battery cable seems to distract from the otherwise clean flowing lines. Maybe route it along the frame tubes. Otherwise cool clean build.
PS I guess I didn’t read far enough.

One last look before tear down and paint prep. I realized I hadn't figured out a kickstand yet, so I rooted through my stash until I found this funky rear axle mounted one. Pre-rusted too.

Used some Rustoleum stone paint for additional texture in spots. This aluminum frame should have been Zebarted. It rusted pretty bad over serial number!
Got the "under" coat done this evening. Tomorrow I will flip the frame over and do the "top" coat. ;)
cf920bbe23809c185f2a057cf87dd087.jpg
e2bba4c1501da198f90744bc753146a4.jpg
9942ac33e492fa18d932473b2cfc5102.jpg
db25f20f868a92c27c048423ec75e141.jpg

One last look before tear down and paint prep. I realized I hadn't figured out a kickstand yet, so I rooted through my stash until I found this funky rear axle mounted one. Pre-rusted too.

Used some Rustoleum stone paint for additional texture in spots. This aluminum frame should have been Zebarted. It rusted pretty bad over serial number!
Got the "under" coat done this evening. Tomorrow I will flip the frame over and do the "top" coat. ;)
cf920bbe23809c185f2a057cf87dd087.jpg
e2bba4c1501da198f90744bc753146a4.jpg
9942ac33e492fa18d932473b2cfc5102.jpg
db25f20f868a92c27c048423ec75e141.jpg

Epic! I dig the tire combo!

Some ideas on paint.
On a steel frame you can lay down a few colors of red and brown primer, lay the topcoat, sand thru lightly to show the primer and sand thru to steel in a few places so it will rust, hit the steel with some vinegar or acid.

On an aluminum frame, lay the different colors of red brown primer, pick the spots you want to be "rusty". Shoot some primer in those spots and sprinkle steel grinding dust into the wet paint.
Lay the green over it.
As you sand the steel dust chunky areas will sand thru first and open up the steel dust. The texture will mimic rust bubbling.
As it ages, it will actually have steel rust on an aluminum frame, youll get some nice staining if you wipe it with vinegar or just wet it down occasionally.

To make steel dust, use a 4" grinder scrap steel and lay into it, catch all the dust in a cardboard box.

Acetone works to get logos off seats too, test on bottom side it can cut into plastics.

I like the build, aluminum frame with steel wheels is great combo.

That steel dust idea is genius. I may have to break out the grinder before I paint the rest of the frame. I used a red primer with two shades of rusty color under the green. Once the green is all dry, I'll paint some dirty white two tone one front of the frame.

Howdy friends and neighbors. Finishing the paint today on the Green Machine. It's finally green. Mostly.
20200628_153858.jpg

20200628_170516.jpg

20200628_170522.jpg

Got a little carried away trying to simulate the greasy grimy goo that sometimes accumulates at the cranks. Got a little Oil Rubbed Bronze sprayed in there with some Dark Earth.
Decided to paint the headlight shell too. This will be the dirty white, not dirty green. Since it's about 90°F here, I grabbed some Hot Mustard. LOL
20200628_171123.jpg

Had to put stuff away quick for a sudden rainstorm.

Fauxtina is working out well.

Dig the two tone! I never really conceived this in my mind, anxious to see your faux-tina parts on there!

Started reassembly tonight. Had to get the tank back in place to see how far off the fauxtina on the frame was. I was surprised. Not a bad match.

Since painting the frame it has started looking like a heavy old bike. I forget it's aluminum. When I go to pick it up I unconsciously brace myself for lifting some weight, it seemingly weights nothing and surprises me.
5a9250104f8c006e58121a62af696c85.jpg
c88767eeb772b188d8836084c5e1126d.jpg
f1df8866059d3b34612c2d8317b35205.jpg

Wow man! You really put the RaT in rat-ina on this one! Frame and tank match looks great.
That front fork is begging for a big ol' tire in it. I could see this with some real fat tires on it, because it def has that 'heavy' look to it that you mentioned. The tires would just accentuate it.

Thanks. I may change tires later, not sure. I'm liking the big and little hot rod look right now though.

That really blends together great. Great looking build! Loaded with slick details.

Been experimenting with some graphic ideas for my build since it's been either too stinking hot or too rainy to work on the bike. Hopefully I was able to modify Mr Horsepower enough. I think the bird looks more like a duck now. LOL
Also trying different colors to eventually come up with a design to apply to any bike I build. Like maybe custom head badges. That's why the purple and the chartreuse logos. I live just outside of Fuquay-Varina, NC. that's where the "Fuquay Flyer" comes from. I like the purple bird, but that also reminds me of the Road Runner!
FF Logos.png

Been experimenting with some graphic ideas for my build since it's been either too stinking hot or too rainy to work on the bike. Hopefully I was able to modify Mr Horsepower enough. I think the bird looks more like a duck now. LOL
Also trying different colors to eventually come up with a design to apply to any bike I build. Like maybe custom head badges. That's why the purple and the chartreuse logos. I live just outside of Fuquay-Varina, NC. that's where the "Fuquay Flyer" comes from. I like the purple bird, but that also reminds me of the Road Runner!
View attachment 128404

Those are awesome looking!!! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back