Leather spring saddle question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a good local deal on one of these large spring saddles originally sold by Ridable Replicas for a project I'm planning. I've never owned a leather seat before but have always read about them needing a long break in period before being comfortable. I find when I sit on this one the leather flattens out and feels more like a hammock than a seat between the springs. I've seen pics of Brooks or similar saddles with what looks like a shoe lace strung between the sides and never really thought about the significance until now. Will I want to punch a few holes and lace through the sides or is this how the seat is supposed to be ridden? Any advise on how to do it right, if at all?

First problem with this saddle for me was the seat guts did not hold the saddle in position. There were many others here that were having the same experience. I wound up adapting the inner workings of a new single rail seat guts to the outer clamp on this double rail seat. Along with a strong through bolt that would not bend from tightening. Lacing works a bit for some, but may rub you the wrong way. A very good adjustable air suspension can be installed in the space between the seat clamp and leather top. http://www.wilson.com/en-us/football/footballs/pro/nfl-mini-football . Line up the needle valve with one of the existing holes in the top leather , and inflate to comfort .

The mini football bladder idea is pure genius!

I think it might be used on regular seats whose springs bottom out for us heavier guys. The needle valve could face downward as long as it could be reached with the pump.

Latest posts

Back