LED conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! This has been done in the "HOW TO" section. I like yours. Thanks for sharing.

I had asked a question on posting a PDF file on a head light LED conversion I found on the we. Was asked to post it so am trying this method.
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8: Enjoy
G-Ratter, awesome pics, got home tonight and started into my conversion....wanted to finish but have band practice tonight and have to run. Thought I would send you a pic as a thanks for the help. Will send the rest when I finish.

Bart
20150720_182017.jpg

Those small Cree LED bike lights work well for this, give you multiple beams, and allow you to use a rechargeable battery pack. I use old Miller lamps as shells for installing the Cree.

Love the mod but want to find a better on off switch that is well hidden. I'm also adding a jewled indicator light to the top of my light for some added bling. Hope to have it installed this weekend

Syclesavage, I was thinking about using it and was looking for a place to hide it...no joy. Where did you hide the switch?

My other thought was to keep it visible and use one of those switches that have a red flip covers on it.

Bart

You can also simply buy LED bulbs that go right in place of the original bulb. Much cleaner and easier!
NOW you can but it wasn't always that way. I like to use a toasted light, in which case you need to rebuild the whole thing....and I have discovered led flashlights at wholesalers, like Big Lots, are often cheaper than the bulbs alone.

Carl.

Not really conversions but I used LED flashlight parts. Reflector is the cut-off top from a rattle can. the LED light element fit into a hole cut with a hole saw in the rattle can top. The 3 AAA battery holder was from Radio Shack as was the switch. The flashlight battery holder wouldn't fit in the half pint paint can. The glass lens is a jelly jar screwed into a canning top pressed into the paint can. To change batteries you use a screwdriver to pull off the paint can lid.

The point being that these small bright inexpensive LED lights can be put into just about anything to make a light. Like this tail light I made from an old camera lens from the thrift store.

Last edited:
Not to discount your craftsmanship using the cheap Chinese flashlights to convert old lights - your idea and execution is great - but I don't recommend that method simply because those cheapo LED flashlights are notoriously unreliable garbage.

Ironically now that I have a durable, bright, efficient LED headlight, what I really want is an old oil lamp, with real fire!!

Latest posts

Back