Led-Sled Sidecar Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok! I will look at making a tank but keep in mind I still have to complete the interior, seat, long legged red head a tank and now a skeleton. I can’t keep up!!

Hey, would a long legged skeleton with a red head wig work? Because
I have one of those! :shock: :lol:

I painted the other side and decided to go with a three bolt mount for the body and it worked out perfect! I grabbed the seat and headed to the fabric store the other day and after sorting through $9 to 20 dollar per yard “pleather” I found a clearance table with just the right color!! 3 ½ yards for 6 bucks! YES! More than enough material to complete the seat and tonneau cover. I have started working on the seat tonight so that I can take a ride with my son and my sweetie to the ice cream shop this weekend. Sooo It’s back to work!

So until next time....It's the same Rat channel at the same Rat time!! Later, HL

PICT0067-1.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

with the sidecar off it looks like you could run it as a chariot. Or carry large loads, cool idea for a cargo bike.

zoso said:
with the sidecar off it looks like you could run it as a chariot. Or carry large loads, cool idea for a cargo bike.

Ya, just before I took those pic’s I was standing on the sidecar frame and it had no problem with my 175 lb’s. of course everyone but me was a sleep at the time I took the pictures so the next time I have the sidecar off I will get that picture.

Well we were unable to hit the ice cream store late on Sunday do to a leaking tube on momma’s rear tire :wink: plus the seat was not completely done. So maybe next weekend. I was able to get the bottom and back seat upholstered and I have started building the folding seat frame so I can fold the seat down for access to the ice chest!! :D

Here is a picture of the seat with out the frame (just kind’a setting there)
PICT0083.jpg

This is a picture of my little Buddy and me on a test run. Tell me he's not having fun? 8)
PICT0068.jpg

Thanks Gdcast!
Ya, my little buddy was pretty jazzed about his first ride in the sidecar. As a Dad it was one of those
proud moments in life! 8) I completed the folding seat today and will now start on the hand grips.

PICT0001-3.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

That is really some piece of work! great looks, compliments beautifully the bike!! A+++

I once built a custom sports car and I used urethane core panels to make the moldless one-off body (a fiberglass/urethane/fiberglass sandwich). Some guys in the same shop made a heavy fiberglass hood for a Coronet; and my entire car body was lighter and stiffer than their hood! I think if you had gone that way it would have been easier to shape, lighter, stiffer and your attaching structure could have been a lot lighter; although of course the cost would have gone up a bit.

now make a trailer for that rig!! J/K! :D

Thanks Char and 2WheelFlyer!! Hey HotRodJen, ya still have the Nova? That would go really good with the
Led-Sled if I slapped some silver paint on the side’s! :lol:

I have been working on the grips and finished up the work on them just the other night. I took the old grips apart so that I could use the leather for templates. I cut out all of the pieces from the left over material that I used for the sidecar seat and stitched them together. I ran the thread back and forth through wax first to help keep all of the threads together plus I think it makes it easier to pull it through the material.

Finally hit the ice cream shop tonight and WOW!! Can’t wait for my 22 tooth rear sprocket to come in!
My legs are still burning!! :shock:

It look’s to be a busy week so hopefully I can squeeze in some work on the dash and interior?

Later all!! HL

PICT0011-3.jpg

PICT0018-1.jpg

PICT0023-1.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0004-2.jpg

turned out just awsome

Do you have any sort of skid plate under the nose of the sidecar, seems to me that just the right kind of bump/lump/incline in a road or sidewalk could tag the nose before the side wheel went up on it.

Thanks Devilmaysay! It has been a long project that is yet to be completed but I’m almost done...maybe.. :shock:

Hey yoothgeye! Great question. So far I haven't had any problems with the nose of the sidecar. It is an all new style of riding a bike though. At a 4 inch clearance you really have to plan for your next move at all times. It just add’s to the overall fun of riding! No more curb hopping! :D

g-ratter said:
I do not know if this is an appropriate reply but
THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!
Brings a tear to my eye. LOL

Thanks Bro!! Comments like that is what keeps us going! Thanks! ( I will now have to add you to my Christmas Card List! ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Half Link said:
It is an all new style of riding a bike though. At a 4 inch clearance you really have to plan for your next move at all times. It just add’s to the overall fun of riding! No more curb hopping! :D

Just got me thinking, without a passenger can you lean and ride on 2 wheels, lifting the sidecar?

Looks awesome! Love the color choice. Only finishing touch I'd do is to accent the wheels with a silver pinstripe on the edges to really tie it in. But wow it looks nice.

yoothgeye said:
Half Link said:
It is an all new style of riding a bike though. At a 4 inch clearance you really have to plan for your next move at all times. It just add’s to the overall fun of riding! No more curb hopping! :D

Just got me thinking, without a passenger can you lean and ride on 2 wheels, lifting the sidecar?

People with sidehacks do that even with someone on the outside, so I bet he can even with the sidecar and a kid in it.

Hmmmmm come to think of it... wouldn't a tank on the bike with the same colors and pinstriping balance a bit the volumes/looks of the combo? Too bad you can't swap a nexus 7 speed on that rear wheel to help your legs!

Latest posts

Back