lesson learned

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
$7 Fleabay layback seatpost + fat guy = sadness and disappointment
20190518_162454.jpg

I mean, I really did go in expecting the worst, so I have no idea why this should come as a surprise. :bigsmile::grin::blush::rolleyes:

I'm not a heavy rider, but had same issue with this particular kind of seat post. I ended up making one for myself from thicker tubing and with thick reinforcement plate.

A friend of mine always had the seat post way high and they would bend until we reinforced them. We used a piece of tubing or pipe and inserted it inside the post, using a size close to the post. Then I cut a small tab in the post on the bottom lip and folded it under to hold the tubing up in place. We even tried a piece of square stock hammered in the post which worked also.

I've heard if you fit the inside with a hardwood dowel it strengthens the post. I've tried it and so far so good.

I'm 5'11", ~175 lbs., so I'm not big, but I'm also not small. For a step-through Spaceliner frame that required the seat post to stick way out from the top of the seat tube for me to fit on it, what I did was take a cheap Wald 13/16" steel post (only post I could find long enough) and hammer an aluminum rod inside of it. I greased it and had to do a little grinding down to get it to fit, but it's in there forever (or until electrolytic corrosion dissolves it). I also cut some spirals along its length to help it flex to fit and hold some grease. Anyway, it's very solid now. Problem then was that the clamp couldn't flex the post enough to get a grip on it and hold it in place, stripping the regular hardware before it would bind tight. Grade 8 replacements fixed that problem.

A friend of mine always had the seat post way high and they would bend until we reinforced them. We used a piece of tubing or pipe and inserted it inside the post, using a size close to the post. Then I cut a small tab in the post on the bottom lip and folded it under to hold the tubing up in place. We even tried a piece of square stock hammered in the post which worked also.
Thanks for the info!
I had been considering this option only with the plan to glue the insert in place, but wasn't sure it would be strong enough.
Going ahead with plans to get the supported, further laid back seatpost now.

Latest posts

Back