Let the SCOOTER builders unite...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
putyte3a.jpg

9e5ane7y.jpg

Not in the build off, but I did rebuild it a couple weeks back. Changed out the wheels from plastic to spoke and added a kickstand.

Where did you get the kickstand? My wife could use one for this.

IMG_0002_zps132e3b88.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsb70f9f05.jpg

Inspired by the Trike builders unite thread:
"-Mommy, there's a bunch of guys on scooters out front!"

Yup, you guys better team up, didn't sound scary at all!
Haha, just poking fun, wish I had my old, "kick and go," but it broke in 1984, I never looked back!

Wow, didn't know trikes could be cool!

Hopefully I can get you to say: "Wow, didn't know SCOOTERS could be cool", by the end of the build off.

Here's a "kick n' go" forum member Fatboy did.
DSC00149.jpg
[/quote]

Last edited:
Got a Mongoose from the factory direct store for my boy the other day, I had one as a kid and loved it. The brakes on these are terrible though and you bang your ankles on the pegs. Ton's of fun though aside from that.

scooter1.jpg

CCR, that's the same scooter as mine above, just gray. We wanted 12" scooters to travel with. So I bought "her" the Mongoose. To make it more suited for an adult, I removed the pegs, removed the footboard and cut and narrowed the tail of it, so it fit inside the recessed square on the frame,. Then I cut and fitted a 3/32" piece of aluminum diamond plate (fits flush between the frame rails). This gave about an 1.5" added length. Then if you compare yours with mine, you'll notice that I cut about an inch and a half off the bottom of the head tube., this lowered the footboard to a comfortable height of just under 3". Then 15" apes., new cables and a basket.
The brakes are junk, but get less junky the more they're used....And the wheel bearings were so tight, the wheel would only spin for about 5 seconds, after adjusting them they'll spin for almost 2 minutes.
Two weeks ago we went to an antique fair, spread out over a mile on each side of the road, with over fifty fields of vendors. In the past we were never able to see everything in one day. With the scoots we were. We use these where a bike isn't practical and walking is to slow.

I think yours was the toys r us version (same thing just different colors). Obviously your wife's has a bit more going on than the stock set-ups, I noticed the bottom of the steering tube was different but didnt realize it dropped the front until you mentioned it. Love the custom deck too !

The rear brake is useless with the gyro on it, was just going to run a straight cable before I handed it over to my boy. When I was test riding it I thought "how do they expect kids stop these things?" ... then I just put my foot down on the ground :confused:, I remember stepping on the rear tire to stop a lot as a kid though too instead of using the hand brake. These things are a blast, used to take ours camping a lot when we were younger too. Smile just as much on one of these as I do a bike I think :D

Saw this on flickr, looks like a home-made ingo bike (bounce scooter) hanging off the rear :cool:

https://flic.kr/p/fbmE3Y

Got the detangler off my boys scoot and replaced the kinked front cable while I was at it. Loosened the wheel cones a tad and its rolling like butter now too. Mom hates "skullz" so I've got some neon green grip tape coming to cover the deck with. His birthday is next week and he's been asking for a scooter for a while now so it should knock his socks off lol

Would love to turn an old girls bike into an ingo ... or just a plain old scoot. Will definitely be shooting some ideas your way Kota when I get the chance. ;)

Forum member "hpvf" usually shows up at the MAHPVF every year with this.

ingo2_zpsd250ba12.jpg

Last edited:
Last weekend we went to a festival in the center of town. It's easier to use scooters, than bikes, in a crowded area. You can go 1-2mph or if you have to just step off and walk. Afterwards we went to a nearby park, I didn't realize how appropriate this photo was until I downloaded it.
011_zpse68dc2d5.jpg

The above scoot is a Kickbike Millenium Racer, it was rated as the fastest scooter for quite a while. It has been replaced with something faster....Not that I use it to go fast. But I figured if it goes fast, it will go "slow" nice and easy. It has Alexrims, with tires that are 110psi....Seriously, on a flat surface, from a stop, two good kicks and it will roll at least 300'....I changed the stem and bars to an upright position..I call it the UN-racer.

Latest posts

Back