lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Build -Off, Cinco's five speed shifter.

sftdn03.jpg

Still a work in progress.

dscf2390g.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-16

The handle bar end of a threadless MTB stem cut off.
I had a few and tried it out one day and wow it fit. Going to use another one for the foot brake mount on that bike.could have welded or drilled the frame but couldn't make up my mind on location.

dscf2380.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-04

dscf23810.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-04

sorry its not a close shot of the shifter itself, but i dont have the bike anymore. its a 70's shimano click shift with a custom arm/knob. 8)
SANY0114.jpg

Here's one that I did a few years ago. It's not a custom shifter but it looks real kewl... It's a old 5-speed Sting Ray shifter mounted like a 'jockey' shift on a custom 1950 Schwinn 5-speed cruiser.
I took these pics a little early before the bike was finished. :roll:
29ac620c-1.jpg

f80784ae-1.jpg

Somewhat primitive in design, but with the "idiot proof" theory applied. This is now 6 years old, and still works just like it should. One up close shot, one from far enough away to see the shift lever. Can you say "suicide?"

Not as nice as some of the more machined pieces that have come along in the last few years, but I did what's here with what I had on hand at the time. I don't have any welding equipment so it is a bolt-on piece.

Thanks for looking, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Quanah said:
Maybe I shouldn't give up my idea for one, but what the heck, I have been wanting to use one of these WWI german trench knives with brass knuckles for a shift lever. I figure you could heat the blade down low to take the temper out of it so you could drill a hole in it, may have to use a masonry bit, with the tip ground like a metal cutting bit... I know this works on car leaf springs without heat.

BK984.jpg

This is really cool!!! a knife with a brass knuckle. nice one.

Latest posts

Back