Lets see your winter bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might get out today myself., its been three weeks or so since I did last, and its supposedly in the low 30s today through the rest of next week with a 44 on Wednesday I cant wait to dive into.
I only have two miles on the Strato Flyer, so Im probably gonna get more time on that and maybe a little rollfast rolling time if the sun holds out.

Well I got out today for a short ride into the city and back. I had first taken out the Rollfast to test the riding waters by the house., and of course forgot to get pictures of him finally outside., But I did get a few of the StratoFlyer with some decent quality photos for detail this time!

Enjoy~
11006369_10206169392983469_6089612826603970321_n_zpsxmbvgu6k.jpg

11037772_10206169269220375_5805069004969924148_n_zps7kaai5or.jpg

we got some snow here so I decided to take some pictures while I was cruising moonshine bandit(still a work in progress but that's his name)
not a lot of snow I think 6 inches but it was fun to be a kid again
the wider tires on this bike actually did quite well I was surprised I didn't slip at all.
nonetheless allow me to shut up and post the pic lol

I've been riding everyday, almost exclusively on ratty ex-industrial bikes b/c i hate what salt does to components and finishes. A lot of snow and ice, but that doesn't bother me. It's the danged road salt.
yeah that's my concern as well I don't want to destroy the components on my older bikes my waljunk Schwinn on the other hand by all means lol

I was a little hesitant with salt on the ground to take out the StratoFlyer, but Cleaned it up immediately when I got back in.,

The Rollfast I think will be my all weathers bike.

I'm getting a little bit of cabin fever here waiting for better weather. I see you all riding and I'm stuck inside working on my project bikes. Oh well warmer weather will get here soon enough.

Last edited:
My 68 year old riding buddy got several platinum scores at the local NSTAR downhill ski races. He is going to Colorado for 3 weeks of racing and skiing in the national NASTAR series. He lent me his fat tire bike for winter riding while he is gone. It is a blast around my block. My problem is that the loan was for fixing his Bendix manual 2 speed. It is all back together but it is defucled, the coaster doesn't work right. It takes about 3 back turns before brake engages and the cones look look they are getting loose when you back pedal. Can't figure out where I went wrong as it is a pretty simple hub? Dah. Anyway I have 3 weeks to figure this out. In the meantime I am out on his bike. Picture against the 6 foot high snowbanks lining my driveway, sidewalk and most of my yard. Bike is not laying down. Center bag is for battery for night riding and for a light down jacket for emergency hiking out from the woods should you have a brake down.

Last edited:
A review on fat tire snow mountain biking.
Don't try this until you borrow or rent one, unless you are young or an exercise animal. You may not like it. It isn't like you think. You can't go everywhere on the packed trails like you think you could. It is very heavy duty exerting. I ran across 5 other riders on the trail and they report it takes about 4 rides to get so you are comfortable with it. I ran into two women in their late forties I sometimes single track ride with in the summer and they said it takes them an hour to ride the 7 miles and they said it would take me less. Ha, it took me an hour and 20 minutes. The trail has a max climb of 400 feet, and has a section with a lot of steep rock knobs that drop off into swamps. Toward the end of this section I had to push up these. I rested 15 seconds at the top of each knob to let my heart rate recover but it really exhausted me. The knob section ened in a mile long pretty steep grade that I also pushed up. The problem is you can't stop. You can't push start as the trail is too narrow to get good momentum and if you step off it is waist deep. There were two long uphill sections I had to push up, the other long uphill sections were gentle enough that I could pedal. I only used the bottom 3 gears. Only one crash at a switchback on a downhill run. I put my leg out and it never touched bottom and I went swimming in the deep. I was too tired to even try not to fall. I started to notice where a lot of others had fallen over because they were too tired to make it. The end was a big drop to the trail head that made my ears pop. I didn't listen to my buddy that loaned me the bike. His advice is to dress real light, so that you are shivering when you start. Pretty soon you are over heated. I wore too many layers. My gait is still wobbly. This is not as technical as single track summer riding, but good balance helps. Its the exertion level that surprised me. I have read posts where people are all excited to buy a fat tire bike figuring that they can ride anywhere there is snow. That is not possible, the pedals are under the snow and fat tires don't give enough floatation for soft snow. These trails are fairly hard packed, but narrow, soft in places , slightly rutted in places and off camber in places, enough to make it a challenge. This is an expensive and surprisingly light fat bike I borrowed, no cheapie and it had the proper 3 pounds of air in the tires. I still could not stand to climb the steep hills as it lost traction. The secret is conditioning: you have to keep the revs up on the steep parts, which I can't do. I may try it again tomorrow if my wobbliness goes away.

Last edited:
A review on fat tire snow mountain biking.
Don't try this until you borrow or rent one, unless you are young or an exercise animal. You may not like it. It isn't like you think. You can't go everywhere on the packed trails like you think you could. It is very heavy duty exerting. I ran across 5 other riders on the trail and they report it takes about 4 rides to get so you are comfortable with it. I ran into two women in their late forties I sometimes single track ride with in the summer and they said it takes them an hour to ride the 7 miles and they said it would take me less. Ha, it took me an hour and 20 minutes. The trail has a max climb of 400 feet, and has a section with a lot of steep rock knobs that drop off into swamps. Toward the end of this section I had to push up these. I rested 15 seconds at the top of each knob to let my heart rate recover but it really exhausted me. The knob section ened in a mile long pretty steep grade that I also pushed up. The problem is you can't stop. You can't push start as the trail is too narrow to get good momentum and if you step off it is waist deep. There were two long uphill sections I had to push up, the other long uphill sections were gentle enough that I could pedal. I only used the bottom 3 gears. Only one crash at a switchback on a downhill run. I put my leg out and it never touched bottom and I went swimming in the deep. I was too tired to even try not to fall. I started to notice where a lot of others had fallen over because they were too tired to make it. The end was a big drop to the trail head that made my ears pop. I didn't listen to my buddy that loaned me the bike. His advice is to dress real light, so that you are shivering when you start. Pretty soon you are over heated. I wore too many layers. My gait is still wobbly. This is not as technical as single track summer riding, but good balance helps. Its the exertion level that surprised me. I have read posts where people are all excited to buy a fat tire bike figuring that they can ride anywhere there is snow. That is not possible, the pedals are under the snow and fat tires don't give enough floatation for soft snow. These trails are fairly hard packed, but narrow, soft in places , slightly rutted in places and off camber in places, enough to make it a challenge. This is an expensive and surprisingly light fat bike I borrowed, no cheapie and it had the proper 3 pounds of air in the tires. I still could not stand to climb the steep hills as it lost traction. The secret is conditioning: you have to keep the revs up on the steep parts, which I can't do. I may try it again tomorrow if my wobbliness goes away.

On my ride video, I was riding flat ground for the most part in about 3 inches of snow with about 4.5 lbs in each tire. I'm not even in shape for this. It is a lot harder than you would think. My shirt was soaked in sweat when I quit. I would agree with everything you said. Good thing I wasn't out on trails!

On my ride video, I was riding flat ground for the most part in about 3 inches of snow with about 4.5 lbs in each tire. I'm not even in shape for this. It is a lot harder than you would think. My shirt was soaked in sweat when I quit. I would agree with everything you said. Good thing I wasn't out on trails!
Yeah its pretty hard. I enjoyed the flatter sections. The jury is still out on weather I like it or not. I had a hard time getting going today. I had two cups of coffee and was dosing off so I went back to bed for 2 more hours. I feel OK now but I would probably not be able to repeat today.

I get different dates to mine some people say late 40's curved fender braces were only made for a couple of years. I wish Phil / rms37 was still chatin on the forums they say he's good with the CWC bikes. Serial number is only 5 digits C06336, I been hearin C is early 40's too that's what peeps say wish I could nail it down.... I personally asked the bike but it ain't talkin sooooooo ... God if these thing could .....

I get different dates to mine some people say late 40's curved fender braces were only made for a couple of years. I wish Phil / rms37 was still chatin on the forums they say he's good with the CWC bikes. Serial number is only 5 digits C06336, I been hearin C is early 40's too that's what peeps say wish I could nail it down.... I personally asked the bike but it ain't talkin sooooooo ... God if these thing could .....
I think Wildcat has the info. He had mine down as a 1940 by the serial number. He said they only made this style for a few years and I can't remember exactly perhaps 1939 to 41?

Latest posts

Back