LIBERTY done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
after last years labor of frustration, I decided to go with something a little less complicated. im going with the elemental mercury instead of the planetary mercury. going to strip it down to the bare bones, just shiny, flowing, liquid metal. this week I will be getting 4 more bikes to use as parts bikes. fenders will most likely be out this year. but its early, I will change my mind a lot!
for now its gonna be a lot of stripping.

Nice. Our builds will be very similar. Probably not going shiny on mine though. Just raw metal and fenders for sure!

I love the patina on your tank. Not sure I could strip that down.

Nice. Our builds will be very similar. Probably not going shiny on mine though. Just raw metal and fenders for sure!

I love the patina on your tank. Not sure I could strip that down.
it is so faded, and someone along the way repainted it badly. its gone.

out garage saling this morning. asked this lady if she had any old bikes(I always ask) she said she had 1 under her house. I dragged this one out, and it went home with me for 20 bucks! liberty badged old Schwinn. my drivetrain is here! s-2 on the back with a serviceable model d new departure. so I guess im going skiptooth. ive got the nice old stem/gooseneck bathing in pb blaster. hope I don't need heat. ill use it and the truss rods. has some nice Torrington mens pedals on it? got them off, usable.

I wish it was that easy to get great scores on old bikes...
Great frame to start with.

made some good progress the first day. most of the parts I need , I have. rear rim is nice and straight. got the tank stripped. still trying to get the neck and forks and truss rod plate off of the liberty. I think ill need heat:(. otherwise the bike is coming along nicely. I keep reminding myself that it doesn't need to be done in a day! plenty of time. todays plan? more stripping.

some more progress today. took apart and cleaned and rebuilt the model d hub today. then I decided to do a full mock-up, just to see how everything will go together. everything seems to fit good. don't think I will use the 24' s-7 on the front, think ill go with a 26' drop center...mabey:rolleyes: then made my arms sore trying to get the stem off of the liberty, no go. succeeded in stripping the bolt beyond repair:mad:. I will have to find someone with a torch! or cut it off.

I had the skiptooth chain soaking overnight, put it on this morning, fit great! rode it up and down the alley. rides great! I am going to go with a 26' rim in the front, just looks better. now on to disassembly, and more stripping.

some success today! finally just cut the stem bolt out. the rest came out easily. I really like this stem! 1 bolt for everything. truss rod bracket looks good, will straighten the rods tomorrow. I love this badge! thinking about using it on this build. opinions?

Fitting together well so far!
Love the badge too.

Latest posts

Back