Lightweight Felt Dispatch, 14t out back

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,
Got a bike put together today the way I wanted for a few years. Here's the history:
Bought a new 2008 Felt Dispatch back when my colleagues were really into single speed bikes (Surley, Kona, Masi) this was the only one I found that was really light at 18.7 lbs.

Felt20Apr08.jpg

Really liked it but had to strip it down to the basics. Swapped in a Cane Creek brake lever. Came out to 16.5 lbs but was almost unridably harsh/stiff and wanted to throw you off the front at any little bump (and did too, Oww!).

Felt4Apr08.jpg

So a year later, set it up more ridable with 700/32C Conti Contacts, thick handle bar padding and cushy MTB seat. Always wished for a coaster on it but didn't think anything would fit the wide aluminum frame. At 18 lbs and 38/16 gearing, it accelerated quickly but was kinda slow.

Felt22Mar10.jpg

Put it away for over a year to have more fun with cruisers. Found a CL ad 2 weeks ago for 700 with Shimano coaster for $40. Picked it up and planned to put it on an old Racer but found it fit the Felt. Gave it some nice bars for easier position. Also recently found a Sturmey Archer 13 tooth hub gear and picked up a Shimano 52 chainring and put them on. Today it got through Proof of Concept stage. :D Will have to come back apart and everything gone through but think its going to be fast! At about 20 lbs, 52/13, it accelerates faster than my Spaceliner (27 lbs, 52/16) and should have a higher top speed. The shift of weight lower to the coaster hub has transformed this to a much nicer riding bike. I'll have to watch out for myself on this one...

FeltCoaster.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Re: Lightweight Felt Dispatch, now with coaster

Hey Everybody,
Since I use my bikes for exercise (and arthritis therapy), I have to take apart my Spaceliner because the bottom bracket is starting to creak and driving me nuts. I’ve put several hundred hard miles on it so it was expected.
IMG_3862II.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

Wanted to put something together that was as fast and provide enough effort for exercise while the Spaceliner was down. So I finally got the Dispatch together. It took a lot to get the chain line correct (narrow coaster hub with wide axle) but think it’s worth having the coaster brake on it. Also put the matching rim on the front. It has Conti contacts 700x32 front and rear for stability and some suspension.

4Apr12001_2.jpg

It doesn’t look like much but it’s fast! At ~20lbs with 52/13 gearing, it comparable in effort to the Spaceliner at ~27lbs with 52/16 gearing. I’m going to put the GPS speedometer this week and see just how fast.

As expected, it’s more twitchy and rough that the steel-framed and nicely-raked fork of the Spaceliner (and it's 700x45 rear tire), so I’ll probably go back to the Liner once it’s done. Plus the Spaceliner has a lot more pizzazz. The Dispatch does feel significantly lighter as I crank on the handlebars going uphill.

4Apr12001_3.jpg

I’m going to put on a different stem because the bars are too close and a bit high up. I need to swap out the pedals because my feet don’t feel as solid as they do with the MKS on the Spaceliner. I’m putting a lot more force on them then what they were designed for (39/16 gearing).

Once the Spaceliner is back up, I’m going to strip the Felt down and have my buddy strip the paint off the frame. I’ll polish the bare aluminum and clearcoat it. Paint the 52 chain ring black and desticker everything. Maybe a nice thin red stripe on the wheels would look good. The Dispatch’s paint job is “urban” on purpose but the Spaceliner taught me that I like a bike a bit more showy. :D
Thanks for looking.
Steve

Re: Lightweight Felt Dispatch, update 4Apr12 (pics)

Eclipse said:
Nice evolution on your Felt. I'm curious to see it once your done for the next step with it. Seems like its a ever changing bike. Fun!
Thanks Eclipse! :D I'm gettting closer to the way I like it

Last time I rode the Felt, I hit the brakes hard (due to someone stepping unexpectedly in front of me) and I heard the brand new Shimano coaster hub howl (???!!). Never heard a coaster hub howl before. Then it started howling even on light braking. Should have known that I had to go through it even new. Cleaned up the reddish grease (that was more like glue) and put my special sauce in: 90% white lithium and 10% Anti seize grease. Got it packed and adjusted just the way I like it and its pretty sweet now.

Put on some MKS Stream pedals because the cheap plastic-center originals weren’t designed for the torque (due to the 52/13 gearing even at 20lbs). Used MKS pedals on the Spaceliner and they are great.

Swapped out the handlebars for something shorter with more positions. Went from VeloOrange Left Bank to VO Belleville. Feel better but may change out the stem yet.

So went for a ride with my friend MrK. He has a sweet old bike that he has made into a path racer (just new tires, regrease everything and handle bar flip). It looks cool!
IMG_5737II.jpg

So we took off, me very slowly. His gearing is nice for the city and ~30lbs bike.
IMG_5738II.jpg

We stopped and switched at Franklin Bridge.
IMG_5740II.jpg

I really like his bike! So smooth, comfortable, and rolls easy. First time ever on a skip tooth and was surprised it was so smooth. He took off with the Felt and I couldn’t keep up with him. He agreed that the Felt is deceptively fast. At one point when going downhill, we both were coasting and I was catching up to him with me on his bike (weight and perfectly worn in bearings LOL)

We switched back and he was able to catch up with me at the top of the hill by the time I was going very slow due to effort.

Really like both bikes for what they are. It was an interesting comparison.

I finally like the setup on the Felt and am looking forward to riding it more now and getting in better shape. Then maybe MrK and me can have some speed trials with it. Plus I can get the Spaceliner gone through then back on the road.
Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Lightweight Felt Dispatch, Prewar Path Racer comp (w/pics)

Got my GPS spedometer on the Felt yesterday so took it out tonight to see what I could do
Know I'm not it as good of shape yet so I warmed up slow
Did my 8 mile Mississippi River Ride and was able to maintain 18-21 mph on the flats
But ~ 3 miles into it, A young road bike guy blasted past me (Crap!)
So I thought I'll try to keep up with him. I was able to ride in his wake at 24 mph

Saw an uphill approaching, I heard him down shift and made my move
Pulled around him, stood up, and cranked on the bike as hard as I could
He picks up his pace and it was a race! :D

I started passing him and he looked over at my bike and said "That's a single speed!" :lol:
We both were laughing and grunting up the hill and I beat him by a half a tire
He says "that's awesome on a single speed, I cheat with gears"
I said "you were maintaining 24 mph on the flats and I can't keep up with that"
We both laughed and he promptly shot off while I gasped and cruised at a lowly 18mph
That was so fun! I burned 360 calories but averaged only ~16mph.
IMG_5790II.jpg

Done better with the Spaceliner so I might switch out the rear gear from 13 to 14 (keep rpms up)
And of course get in better shape :lol:
Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Lightweight Felt Dispatch, first roadie challenge

aka_locojoe said:
Cool story. Goes to show not all "roadies" are snobs and they can have a sense of humor.
Thanks Randy! :D
Yeah, it was sure nice to meet a nonsnobby roadie, it totally made my day. Nothing quite like friendly competition.
Also thanks for being the second person to respond to this thread :lol:
Steve

Re: Lightweight Felt Dispatch, first roadie challenge

Skipton said:
Steve,
That Felt is COOL!
The friends green bike is COOL!
The only time I have done more the 24 MPH is with a 70 MPH tailwind :roll:
16 MPH average is what I consider a fast commute. :lol:

Thanks Skipton!
I'll tell MrK that you liked it
That’s hard to believe from a Triathlete like you.
16 mph is a great commute pace. I can't maintain 24mph, but with this one I can do about 18-21 (only 8 miles though).

Two days after my last adventure with a young roadie, I had serious shooting pain in my left knee (right knee already had surgery due to arthritis and over exertion).
So I was painfully reminded of my age. I tried one more easier run with the 13 tooth gear out back (because I was too lazy to change it :lol: ) but it was still too much

Last night I threw the 14 tooth gear on (same 52 up front, ~20lbs) and went for a short ride. Substantial change. Easier and faster to accelerate.
The effort is slightly harder than the Spaceliner (27lbs, 52/16). I’ll take my regular 8 miler soon and see if my knees punish me later.
I’ve gotten some really odd looks because it looks so much like a Fixie then I coast And stop :lol: :lol: . I love it!

Felt14May12.jpg

I still like to ride the Spaceliner better, especially on a regular basis for ride quality and pizzazz.
I’ll get the Spaceliner out of my repair shop soon then and strip all the paint off the Felt.

Thanks for looking
Steve

Latest posts

Back