Little gems for side and centre-pull brakes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep- you can get the super cool round Kool Stop pads once again! The pads on the questionably flexy calipers are really bad. I should have bought a set of Dia Compe 996!

I would think these could easily slot into a rat rod build:
2931AD69-860C-49F9-9773-D5EA68D49CC0.jpeg

How do they sound, any squeal or vibration? Rim brakes work best on hardened machined walls. My Answer Expert rims lock up in the rain, pretty quiet. No name brand shoes.

No sound, just nice, even braking. Of course this fashion of only rear brakes is just weird to me. I may just have to get one of those adapters that allow me to mount a U-brake on the fork. I like real braking power on my bikes.

These Kool Stop perform as well as I remember.

I dunno what adjustment your brakes have, but with cantis and vees, the noise can be minimized with setup. "Toe in" on the pads, so the front of the pad grabs first, will help. Clean rims is another thing, alcohol or acetone, or even moist towelettes from the rib spot, to remove road grease and grime. Also improves the brake force. If the pads and already contaminated, you might have to sand off a layer, making sure to sand in the direction of braking on the rim.
I don't bother, brake noise is how I let people know that I'm flying at them at breakneck speed

I dunno what adjustment your brakes have, but with cantis and vees, the noise can be minimized with setup. "Toe in" on the pads, so the front of the pad grabs first, will help. Clean rims is another thing, alcohol or acetone, or even moist towelettes from the rib spot, to remove road grease and grime. Also improves the brake force. If the pads and already contaminated, you might have to sand off a layer, making sure to sand in the direction of braking on the rim.
I don't bother, brake noise is how I let people know that I'm flying at them at breakneck speed

Loud and clear on what you’re saying.

My rims weren’t old enough to be dirty, just those pads were abysmal! When I do a rat build, those round Kool Stop will be on my steed!

Latest posts

Back