LITTLE TOAD! RRBBO#14 Class 2. I'm out. :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you were putting the nuts on there to bolt a flange in for a disc brake. If they are only decorative I agree with your thinking as well.

You could possibly put pointed cones over them...
:thumbsup:
Nice work & nice little shop also Mate.
My work area isn’t very big either. Probably even smaller . I call it the Magic shop because that were the magic happens . . .
I like it!

That would be very cool indeed!

I meant 'bent as in short for recumbent, I'm just lazy and didn't want to type the whole thing... :21:

I should have know that. That's a common thing to say bent for recumbent.

I like the bolts. Gives a little flavor. Would be interesting to see them with the welds smoothed. Minor detail though. Will be sweet either way.

After the extra work to weld nuts on the triangles and fit them up, I'm not actually liking the way it looks with the stainless bolts on there (they were meant to mimic wheel nuts) I might just weld the holes up...

Thoughts?
You've already gone through the trouble of putting them in, I would at the very least leave them up to the point where you have to make the call before you can move ahead with paint prep etc. They could possibly come into play for something that you haven't considered yet. Either way the triangles definitely improve the look!:cool2:

Last edited:
Why would the nuts have to be welded on? Little stove bolts from the rear, thru the holes with nuts of your choice... you could use threaded rod and put nuts on both sides if you wanted...

Carl.

I should have know that. That's a common thing to say bent for recumbent.

I like the bolts. Gives a little flavor. Would be interesting to see them with the welds smoothed. Minor detail though. Will be sweet either way.
Thanks Chad!
You've already gone through the trouble of putting them in, I would at the very least leave them up to the point where you have to make the call before you can move ahead with paint prep etc. They could possibly come into play for something that you haven't considered yet. Either way the triangles definitely improve the look!:cool2:
Good call, and exactly what I did!
Why would the nuts have to be welded on? Little stove bolts from the rear, thru the holes with nuts of your choice... you could use threaded rod and put nuts on both sides if you wanted...

Carl.
I'm assuming that the weld nuts are there because the backside will get the triangle treatment also.
Yes both sides are fully welded with nuts on the inside, I could have used threaded rod and nuts to save the effort I guess... :39:

Started off today by just sitting some wheel nuts on the center a bit further in to see how that would look:

IMG_20190513_080504873.jpg
IMG_20190513_080510552.jpg

It could definitely work, not 100% sure yet though, so like TRM said, leave it until something has to be done...

Next step was to work on building a hub.

I use these particular steel hubs bought from eBay coming from China, they are average quality and probably a bit too expensive for what they are, but there are some good reasons why I like these particular ones which will show as the build goes on:

IMG_20190513_083643228.jpg

Split in two and wire brushed off the paint on the inside:

IMG_20190513_084009086.jpg

Welded the centers to the outers as they will not be held together by spoke tension:

IMG_20190513_085055470.jpg

Very happy with those welds, which ends up being a bit of a theme today!

Then out came the mini lathe to trim the hub ends down neatly:

IMG_20190513_091103286.jpg
IMG_20190513_094548155.jpg

Welded the disc brake sleeve thingy to the hub to ensure it doesn't spin and tacked a headtube bearing cup to the center tube, this is part one of why I like these hubs, the center tube perfectly fits headtube cups:

IMG_20190513_095842668.jpg

The lathe work done earlier on the washers that form the middle of the wheel center was important to make this next step go smoothly, perfect fit for BMX frame tubing:

IMG_20190513_100612015.jpg

Going back to the hubs, why is the fact that they fit headtube cups important?
Well headtube cups are the perfect diameter to fit inside that BMX tube, ensuring the hub ends get welded on perfectly in the center:

IMG_20190513_100740837.jpg

Welded the ends on:

IMG_20190513_102150001.jpg

Loving TIG welding:

IMG_20190513_102133717.jpg

Next step was to make a loooonnnnnggggg axle, started by cutting a standard axle in half and setting it up with a 230mm (9") extension:

IMG_20190513_103730828.jpg

Fully welded that up and then slid the whole thing inside some 13mm (1/2") tubing and welded that up as an extra strengthener, here is the finished product beside the original axle that came with the hub:

IMG_20190513_110541760.jpg

Those thinking ahead will have spotted a potential issue with this method, that axle is now too thick to fit through standard bearing cups!
In fact I used to have to make the axle and fit it before welding the hub ends to the tube, meaning the axle could never be removed without cutting the hub apart, but reason two of why I like these hubs is the way they are assembled, the bearing cups are press fit from the outside allowing the axle to be fitted!

IMG_20190513_110259420.jpg

Axle fitted, cup reinserted and bearings assembled, the next step was to drag out the adjustable truing stand and spin it up!

IMG_20190513_112436622.jpg
IMG_20190513_112504593.jpg

Unbelievably it spun up almost perfect first try! Just one small tap with a hammer to take out a tiny wobble and it ran perfectly.

So, welded that up, pretty happy with these welds too!

IMG_20190513_113714273.jpg
IMG_20190513_114254990.jpg

Then removed it from the stand and fitted it to the outer rim, put it back on the stand and spun it, I couldn't believe how it spun, so here is a video:

The noise is dry bearings, kept grease out until after paint, but so happy with the way it spins! :13:

Didn't need to adjust that at all, moved on to welding it:

IMG_20190513_121746589.jpg

All that was left then was to spray some paint around the outside to stop it from rusting inside the tire, I got a little carried away though and ended up painting a thin coat over the rest of the wheel too, just wanted to see how it will look:

IMG_20190513_123022756.jpg

IMG_20190513_123009910.jpg

I like it!

One final photo for today's update:

IMG_20190513_123453843.jpg

That is one fat rim!

Really enjoyed the welding today, some of those welds are better than any I have done before, better than any I did during my training back in the day, maybe I am just more patient now because I am older?
Whatever the reason, pretty sure this wheel is my best yet! :thumbsup:

Started off today by just sitting some wheel nuts on the center a bit further in to see how that would look:

View attachment 95292 View attachment 95293

It could definitely work, not 100% sure yet though, so like TRM said, leave it until something has to be done...

I use these particular steel hubs bought from eBay coming from China, they are average quality and probably a bit too expensive for what they are, but there are some good reasons why I like these particular ones which will show as the build goes on:

View attachment 95294

View attachment 95295

Welded the centers to the outers as they will not be held together by spoke tension:

View attachment 95296

View attachment 95297 View attachment 95298

Welded the disc brake sleeve thingy to the hub to ensure it doesn't spin and tacked a headtube bearing cup to the center tube, this is part one of why I like these hubs, the center tube perfectly fits headtube cups:

View attachment 95299

The lathe work done earlier on the washers that form the middle of the wheel center was important to make this next step go smoothly, perfect fit for BMX frame tubing:

View attachment 95300

Well headtube cups are the perfect diameter to fit inside that BMX tube, ensuring the hub ends get welded on perfectly in the center:

View attachment 95301

Welded the ends on:

View attachment 95303

Loving TIG welding:

View attachment 95302

Next step was to make a loooonnnnnggggg axle, started by cutting a standard axle in half and setting it up with a 230mm (9") extension:

View attachment 95304

Fully welded that up and then slid the whole thing inside some 13mm (1/2") tubing and welded that up as an extra strengthener, here is the finished product beside the original axle that came with the hub:

View attachment 95306

Those thinking ahead will have spotted a potential issue with this method, that axle is now too thick to fit through standard bearing cups!
In fact I used to have to make the axle and fit it before welding the hub ends to the tube, meaning the axle could never be removed without cutting the hub apart, but reason two of why I like these hubs is the way they are assembled, the bearing cups are press fit from the outside allowing the axle to be fitted!

View attachment 95305

Axle fitted, cup reinserted and bearings assembled, the next step was to drag out the adjustable truing stand and spin it up!

View attachment 95307 View attachment 95308

Unbelievably it spun up almost perfect first try! Just one small tap with a hammer to take out a tiny wobble and it ran perfectly.

View attachment 95309 View attachment 95310

Then removed it from the stand and fitted it to the outer rim, put it back on the stand and spun it, I couldn't believe how it spun, so here is a video:

The noise is dry bearings, kept grease out until after paint, but so happy with the way it spins! :13:

View attachment 95311

All that was left then was to spray some paint around the outside to stop it from rusting inside the tire, I got a little carried away though and ended up painting a thin coat over the rest of the wheel too, just wanted to see how it will look:

View attachment 95313
View attachment 95312

I like it!

View attachment 95314

That is one fat rim!

Really enjoyed the welding today, some of those welds are better than any I have done before, better than any I did during my training back in the day, maybe I am just more patient now because I am older?

You are a fabrication mad man good sir! :thumbsup:

View attachment 95292 View attachment 95293

View attachment 95294

View attachment 95295

View attachment 95296

View attachment 95297 View attachment 95298

View attachment 95299

View attachment 95300

View attachment 95301

Welded the ends on:

View attachment 95303

Loving TIG welding:

View attachment 95302

View attachment 95304

View attachment 95306

View attachment 95305

View attachment 95307 View attachment 95308

View attachment 95309 View attachment 95310

View attachment 95311

View attachment 95313
View attachment 95312

I like it!

View attachment 95314

That is one fat rim!

Wow! those tig skills are good!

cough "lessons?" cough :)

You are a fabrication mad man good sir! :thumbsup:
:21: Thank you!
Wow! those tig skills are good!

cough "lessons?" cough :)
I'm sure we can find some time after the build off! :thumbsup:
Agree. Wish I had half your welding skill.
In all honesty I'm surprising myself, did 2 weeks of TIG welding at trade school 20 years ago, never touched one again until just recently but put in some time and practice and it is paying off!
I guess my other welding experience probably transfers over to some extent.

The biggest lesson I am learning for TIG is to be comfortable, preferably be seated, rest your elbow on the bench or something else to steady it and just take your time.

Oh, and have good joint fit up! ;)

Nice welds old man.

Truly awesome build, I love tadpoles trikes, can't wait to see it finished!
Looking forward: to see a tire mounted.:cool2:
Wow that wheel is COOL!! Amazing welds. Now that I see the wheel in black I think it would def look good with some small shiny somethings in those holes. Not big lug nuts but something small just to give a little sparkle. Let's get a tire on there!...:bigboss:
Thanks Guys!
I was going to get the tire on today, but just ran out of time, tomorrow will have to do...

Awesome work on that whole wheel assembly! I really like the open hole look, very stealth and gives it a 'light weight' look as well. Well, as light as a steel 11" wide wheel can look anyway! :21:

And those welds.....:41: !

Latest posts

Back