LITTLE TOAD! RRBBO#14 Class 2. I'm out. :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging that vintage cooler and the suitcases!
Those are not the exact ones I have, just some pics I found on the net, but the ones I have are that style, just need to dig them out of the junk room...
Yea grade 8 bolts and nuts should hold up better to due that type of work.
:thumbsup:
That bike for mbbo 1 is awesome
Thanks! That was my first Build-Off win, admittedly only a small competition, but we had a lot of fun!
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-01-finished-bikes-thread-time-to-vote.70025/
:rockout:
:O awesome technique to the dimples , i memory save that :)
:thumbsup: It worked far better than I thought it would!

No progress to show today, trying to figure how to join all this stuff together and make it look good... :21:

Any one who has built something like this before got any suggestions on a good castor angle for the front wheels?

It seems Go carts can have heaps of caster to help unload the rear inside wheel because of the locked diff, cars have less because they need less.

I'm guessing with a trike the amount would be even less, so really I only want enough to help it self center?

10 degrees maybe?

Dragged my cooler and suitcases out:

IMG_20190519_144749107_HDR.jpg

The suitcases are bigger than I remember, I might save the nicer blue one for something else, and try shorten the rough green one to be the same length as the Cooler...

If you end of stacking the cooler on top of the green suitcase, I'd leave it a little longer for that 'pyramid' look.
Great idea, only problem is how wide the trike would have to be to fit it, plus the case may have something built inside it which would work better upright or on top... ;)

Still working on ideas...

Great idea, only problem is how wide the trike would have to be to fit it, plus the case may have something built inside it which would work better upright or on top... ;)

Still working on ideas...
0d51406416d4fec566a108d664b754f6f87e91aa.png

Any one who has built something like this before got any suggestions on a good castor angle for the front wheels?

It seems Go carts can have heaps of caster to help unload the rear inside wheel because of the locked diff, cars have less because they need less.

I'm guessing with a trike the amount would be even less, so really I only want enough to help it self center?

10 degrees maybe?

From what I could find on the recumbent trike sites is that they use around 10 degrees. Sometimes a little more. Those carts also use a lot of kingpin inclination and long spindles to lift the inside tire.

One more thing to consider is ackerman angle..(inside tire turns more than the outside).

1200px-Ackermann_turning.svg.png

:21:
From what I could find on the recumbent trike sites is that they use around 10 degrees. Sometimes a little more. Those carts also use a lot of kingpin inclination and long spindles to lift the inside tire.

One more thing to consider is ackerman angle..(inside tire turns more than the outside).

1200px-Ackermann_turning.svg.png
Cool, looks like my guesses were correct.
Yes, have been looking at Ackerman angle, looks like I will have to cut off and reweld the steering arms in the right position...

I have worked out how to fit everything I want in the front luggage area between the wheels and still allow for steering without going stupidly wide:

IMG_20190520_140319504.jpg

So that is good...

Starting to wonder if the whole concept is flawed though.

What I'm building is half a muscle bike with that big heavy rear wheel and half a practical picnic trike, it just seems to me the two ideas don't really mesh that well.

The trike would be much better with a lightweight geared wheel, and that back wheel would look better on a more "show" orientated build...

Might be time for a rethink...

10 degrees maybe?
want me to check my recumbent for you?

Each piece of luggage could sit on a rotating plate that moves with the steering....
There you go... :wink1: :whistle:
Not quite sure I understand what you mean, wouldn't that just take up more room?
It's a novel concept though. I'm sure it'll be amazingly cool whatever direction you go.
If you change your mind at least your not to far into it and plenty of time left
:thumbsup: Got a new plan now, should be progress tomorrow hopefully.
want me to check my recumbent for you?
Not important anymore, changing directions... Thanks though!

Worked out my main issue with the build...

I don't like upright tadpole trikes much! :21: I mean as a practical ride or cargo carrier they make sense, but not really my style...

Time to revert to what I do best... Show style Muscle Bike!

:banana::banana::banana:

But maybe with a twist? :39:

I don't like upright tadpole trikes much! :21: I mean as a practical ride or cargo carrier they make sense, but not really my style...

Time to revert to what I do best... Show style Muscle Bike!

:banana::banana::banana:

But maybe with a twist? :39:

Now you just doubled my attention to this build! :forum:

Latest posts

Back