Long BMXXX DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha. Graph paper phooey. I just went out to the garage and waved my magic tape measure around. Looks like 24" chain stays will give me what I want. I still may go 26" but that's still a lot more manageable than what I had in my head before. So. Swing arm? Hardtail? I'm leaning towards hardtail...
7b4f44070a1ff5dd1fbbcc1c0477e591.jpg

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Two things of note. The angle the forks are it is just a bit more relaxed than a usual BMX, a bit of cruiser there. Also the forks are bent just a bit, like someone ran it into a wall. That's a short and beefy fork to bend, they must have hammered it hard! So I'll be running over it with my truck soon to try and get it back straight. I'll get some pics when I do.

Carl.

Well I'm glad we've got 3+ months to go cuz I jacked my seat stays ALL up. I looked at them with this crazy idea and KNEW I was going to jack them up. I also ran my phone dead so I can't even show you. They were so nice and straight and they fit the width of the rear hub already. So WHY did I think a couple of kicks in the tubes would be good? It wasn't and then trying to straighten them out was a failure too, so... The whole thing is just a bit wacked anyway cuz I'm winging everything. So tomorrow I'm digging out my old frame jig I made out of uni-strut and beating this beast into submission. 1 step forward, 2 steps back, rinse and repeat. Waah waah it was almost a roller...

Carl.

That's going to look really cool!
.....I wonder if the stays will need some extra supports...

That's going to look really cool!
.....I wonder if the stays will need some extra supports...
I've got a plan for that. Something I did to my Muscle Spasm bike that really turned the corner for strength and gave it a post apocalyptic style.

Carl.

minor footnote; I ran my cell so dead it won't restart.
So, I'm off to the phone store to get robbed...

You can bend em' but ya can't unbend em'
9ae38fb90b82bae1d65a2360930918dc.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Guess your going to be doing more chopping
Yep gotta find another frame to cut tho. The easy way out would be to cut the X Games frame but no. I rarely take the easy way out.

Carl

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

In the jig. Using the bent stays for now. Getting ready to tack in the chain stays
a9be03536c81362ec7b66a3f322957fa.jpg

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

Dual rim brakes in the back should spread the stress on the stays. Got a lot of clearance, might go longer with the crank arms too. I was planning on gussets around the BB and at the head tube. Gotta check my chain line soon, that rear cog is small only 9 teeth. May need a ghost ring to clear the lower brake assembly... 15 days in on a 4 month build. Nothing is for sure yet.

Carl.

Last edited:
I doubt you'd be able to get it spinning fast enough to do anything but a tire like this would be a mean look...
kings-tire-kt-977-8-paddle-motorcycle-tire.jpg

Merle.

No. But if you Google bike pretzel images and scroll down you see a set of awesome Murray Eliminator handlebars...

Merle.

Latest posts

Back