Long Hauler with video!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Long Hauler

2d2btpt.jpg

I just noticed. The chain on the outside, going to the second rear wheels, its a thicker chain. What if you try a narrower chain off of a new mountainbike or something? Know what I mean?

aka_locojoe said:
Just add a 3rd smaller rear wheel in the middle and push them tight together

I think I might need to revisit this Idea. I have a couple of long springs that would work great. I gotta get out of here and get home before this vision fades. Stupid second shift. :x

Ah ha, yes thats what I figured, but couldnt quite picture it in my head, thanks for the visual.

I see no reason why that wouldnt work, plus I think it adds to the "cool" column.

As far as the chain bouncing, have you thought of using a small diameter tube to run the chain inside? that way it would be pretty much enclosed and dont have to worry about it snagging anything or anybody.

I think I will try to engineer the third wheel as well as giving the inner sprocket a little tappy-tappy treatment, run the chain and the third wheel for visual effect. I need to get a couple sticks of 1/2" emt conduit for the chain runs. It is on the to-do list along with the bike rack. I am trying to decide between a hanger type rack that would hold a bike on either side or a single rack that would carry one bike piggy back on top of the stretch. Hmmmmm. Opinions on the rack?

udallcustombikes said:
I think I will try to engineer the third wheel as well as giving the inner sprocket a little tappy-tappy treatment, run the chain and the third wheel for visual effect. I need to get a couple sticks of 1/2" emt conduit for the chain runs. It is on the to-do list along with the bike rack. I am trying to decide between a hanger type rack that would hold a bike on either side or a single rack that would carry one bike piggy back on top of the stretch. Hmmmmm. Opinions on the rack?
I think one bike on top with the saddle bags on the side would look good it would be like a bicycle tow truck :wink: :D :mrgreen:

yeah put the tall bike up on the back!

my thought about the rack, make it to where you can easily reconfigure it... maybe haul one bike per side, and one on top, then change it over to the saddlebags, then maybe some removable side facing seats?

I'm a diggin it. I like the floating third drive wheel setup. I built the 2 Much burrito with the two rear 20's you were asking about. I just ran my chain from the crank chain ring to the forward 20". I used a junk coaster brake hub and wheel as the driver and the rear tire is freewheel and just coasts. The backfall is when you are going over uneven terrain, the drive wheel temporarily loses traction when the rear tire is on a high spot. Otherwise it's fun to ride. Very fast as long as you have plenty of turning room!! Can't wait to see your next creation.

I got to spend the morning out in the garage hard at work. Figured out the piggy back carrier and I like it a lot! I started with my fat tried klunker and then tried a couple others to see how she rode. All of the bikes rode around the block with no problems, though I would want to strap them in for a trip of any distance.
2dj9x1e.jpg

2hd06qg.jpg

350qpp1.jpg

357iql1.jpg

Also got my Thank You's painted
2vta8b7.jpg

Pretty cool. Maybe wrap the bike holders with some old inner tube to prevent scratching.

Latest posts

Back