Looking for advice on 3-speed hubs.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on 3-speed hubs. My next project is a '65 Schwinn Hollywood that I am doing for my wife. The single speed is tough for her but she is convinced that she'll wreck anything with gears. What I need is the simplest 3-speed to operate that I can find. Any suggestions? And where do I acquire such an item?

I recommend the Nexus 3-speed hub, with the twist-grip shifter. It's very smooth, you can change gears standing still with no effort at all, and the twist-grip is, in my opinion, very much fool-proof. Just twist one way or the other, with easy-to-see gear numbers. It's not intimidating. The older hubs, like Sturmey-Archer or Sachs, aren't as smooth. Experienced riders can get good performance out of them, but novices will find them "fiddly" and "clunky".

You can get the Nexus hub at just about any LBS, or easily on the net.

Hugo

I used a Sturmey Archer 3-spd from 1980. As a bonus, it came with a drum brake and has worked flawless for me. The shifter is a bit tricky and adjustment is critical but it is reasonably bulletproof-when out of adjustment, it just doesn't shift into every gear so no big deal. A quick turn of the adjuster and you are off and peddaling again. Otherwise the Nexus line is the easiest to operate and set up.

So, believe it or not, my LBS can't get the Nexus hubs. He can get SRAM gear though. Anyone here run the T3 hub?

sry that is bs any good bike shop that can get stuff from different distributors can get a nexus 3. if they get stuff from wilson they can get it demand it not what they want you to use. the sram hub is junk i have checked it out. only way to fly is the shimano although i personally like the 7 because you can choose two different shifters. either the grip type or like on the lucky 7 a triger tipe that can be hid away making for a cleanner look. but the 3 is great too i would not even bother with the others personally.

Latest posts

Back