Looking for replacement crank for Dolo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mongoose Dolomite that I have been slowly modding to get it to my liking. So far I have changed the stock bars to Answer bars, Stock grip shift to an Alivio 7 speed shifter. I also put on VeeRubber V8's tires and a Shimano megarange free wheel.

This is an all purpose bike for me, road, trails you name it. I find that i need lower gearing for steep hills in the trails. So i have been looking for a new crank in the 170mm square taper 30-33t flavor.

I am having a hard time finding one,cheap. I dont want to spend a lot of money on one cause I am not 100% sure it will work. I had one bought on ebay but seller never sent (had to file a dispute). I even have a wanted thread on here. Any one have an idea where i could find one? Or what exactly i need. I am unsure about chainline the most. other concerns include will the crank arms clear.. stupid things like that.

thanks!

The bottom bracket spindle is so long, that you probably won't have to worry about chain line too much. I would just go on Amazon and get the cheapest MTB crankset they have that has removable gears. Don't get one thats all riveted together. And you can probably go with 175mm crank arms just as easily. Unless you are under about 5'6", then I would say stick with 170.

If it was me I would get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vuelta-815004...=UTF8&qid=1400684957&sr=1-7&keywords=crankset

that looks decent but it doesnt show the backside of the chainrings. I have seen triples before where only the outer is removable and the two inner ones are riveted.

Be careful which one you go with, if you are using the existing square crank, there are a few armsets which will not work. If you take a look, the Dolomite crank arms are slightly bent out to avoid hitting the rear stays.

I had bought a couple nice Odyssey Black widow cranksets from a buddy and they do not come out far enough to use, they hit the rear stays.

I think the odyssey black widow cranks are for a BMX Bike right? A MTB crank should have the curved arms to clear the stays.

Maybe, I just got lucky, but I just bought a cheapo Lasco 3-ring (24, 34, 44-t) off FleaBay, for about $15.00. 175mm arms. Had to make an extra spacer for the direct-mount derailleur, on the ProblemSolver 1322 adapter. those 175MM spindles ARE pretty long. I have no problem clearing the stays, with that setup. With the Shimano Megarange rear cassette, with the 34t climber sprocket, it will climb about anything, even at 50 pounds. It's a brute.

Hello. I'm looking at doing the exact same thing and was wondering if Seesquare considered the Problem Solvers FS 1327 which has 4 mm more offset (up to 43.5 mm total) or is it too much. Trying to avoid the extra spacer thing if I can, especially considering I haven't bought the part yet.

Latest posts

Back