Looking forward to RRBBO#8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As some of you know the last two build offs I have been swamped with work and was not able to finish. I have been plotting my come back for build off 8 ever since. I am slowly putting it together in my head and collecting all the right parts to really showcase my work and creativity. I hope you all bring your A game this next year because I am not going to forfeit, not going to give up, I will finish, and I will be the competitor I should have been these past two years.

Who else has been planning their builds?

Right now I have a bout 2 or 3 different potential builds in my head for RRBBO8. I have been picking up some very cool bikes and parts lately which complicates everything, because I can't use it all on one build.

Shortly after the new year, I also want to start on an adult size muscle bike that's has been in my head for a while.

I'm ready. I have wheels. And I have a frame and fork on the way.

But if it ends up being an "anything goes" build- off where frame mods are allowed, I'll be out. I don't have welding skills.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I'm ready. I have wheels. And I have a frame and fork on the way.

But if it ends up being an "anything goes" build- off where frame mods are allowed, I'll be out. I don't have welding skills.

Don't let that influence you. I honestly don't think it will affect the winning bikes much. I am cool either way this year. Just think about the builds you see on RRB. 9 times out of 10, I would take traditional builds over the anything goes builds.

I am in it, no matter what. My skills don't match a lot of builders on here, but I have fun doing it.

I would be game if I had a frame :lol: I've got to check out the swap meet in March :wink:

I have a lot of ideas but I tend to prefer to powder coat and that would disqualify me. Powder coat is just some much more durable and resilient than paint. I struggle at going with paint when I could powder coat for about the same amount of money.

If they change that rule I'm in

bike2112 said:
I have something planned, but Kingfish has bought up everything cool on the East Coast!!!! Just kiddin' King. It's gonna be a great build off.

I only bought up the cool cheaper stuff. You can get the same stuff, but you have to pay more. :p

Come on down to Savannah and go Riding With The King.

130FC2484D7F4CE10E834A

Migz said
I have a lot of ideas but I tend to prefer to powder coat and that would disqualify me. Powder coat is just some much more durable and resilient than paint

That is what has kept me out on all the past BBOs. All my bikes have been powder coated..... However this time I want to play....is base clear allowed?

FW

I don't see why powdwe coating would DQ you some of the guys last year widdened frames for 3inch tires so why not powder coating I don't see the harm really but I did base clear last year

Peatbog said:
Some builders did widen frames. So I figure lengthening frames is the same thing just in another direction. :p

Here's the thing: some people are afraid of heights, but I am afraid of widths, so all I have left is lengths. So I really don't have a choice, you see.
King lengthened an did it without modifying his frame a lot of guys last year did cool mods without welding or modifying to there frames

big kountry said:
I don't see why powdwe coating would DQ you some of the guys last year widdened frames for 3inch tires so why not powder coating I don't see the harm really but I did base clear last year

I interpreted rule number 9 to also apply to powder coat. If that is not the case I would participate.

If i am wrong please let me know as I would love to bring something to the table.

"Here's your chance to build the ultimate Rat Rod Bike.

Follow the rules below and have fun! We're keepin' this thing pretty loose so don't get yourself in a knot. :shock:

Participants should use their thread as a journal including write ups and photos.

1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the Subject.
3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry
(grinding off fender tabs and cutting seat tube height is okay, just no major frame design changes).
4. Bike must not already be built.
5. Must include before, progress, and after photos (all in one thread please)
6. Bike must be ridable.
7. Use any parts you like....mo rat = mo bettah!
8. Parts can be attached any way you wish (includes welding).
9. Paint must be applied by builder...pinstripping by someone else is acceptable.
10. Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.
11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!

You must post your completed bike in the "FINISHED RRBBO7" forum
by 9:00 p.m. CST, August 6, 2012.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST.

Now get ta buildin'!"

Way back during the first BBO 1 and 2 I removed my entry out of respect for rule number 9. Unless something has been changed this still stands :cry:

If remember right, it was a cost factor....not everybody can afford powder coating and some my feel it is a unfair advantage in ones build. This I can understand and respect.

But hey.....we can always throw it out there and see how people feel this time around. I'm sure Steve will make it all clear for us :wink:

FW

Firewalker said:
Way back during the first BBO 1 and 2 I removed my entry out of respect for rule number 9. Unless something has been changed this still stands :cry:

If remember right, it was a cost factor....not everybody can afford powder coating and some my feel it is a unfair advantage in ones build. This I can understand and respect.

But hey.....we can always throw it out there and see how people feel this time around. I'm sure Steve will make it all clear for us :wink:

FW

I would love for powder coat to be allowed.

If nothing else powder coat it then lay on some hand painted pinstripe. The paint was applied by the builder par the rules. The powder coat is not paint. Or another thing I have asked before if you can keep original paint or patina as well. Or sell the frame after powder coat and buy it back. Maybe paint some scallops over the powdercoat. Just a few ideas.

As far as frame mods I think half the fun is trying to figure out how to do it without any frame mods. This next build off I'm going to build a 6 foot long bike with a 20" frame, 20" wheels, and zero frame or fork mods, figure that one out. Adding another foot to a bike with no welding, no frame mods, no fork mods. :wink:

Powder coating really ought to be allowed. I doesn’t change the way the final design looks in any meaningful way. Are other finishes such as copper, zinc, nickel and chromium prohibited? Almost no one is going to tackle a finishing job like that in their garage. What if someone is using a Basman or other powder coated frame as the basis of their build, do they have to strip the factory powder coating and rattle can it to qualify. Seems ridiculous.

I think we should allow powder coat and frame mods...but not to the extent of anything goes...
It all comes down to execution and attention to detail in my opinion...

Latest posts

Back