RRBBO13 Low Baller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aight, So I know I stated that I was side lining myself this year but I can't stop thinking about and drawing up bikes I could build. The creative juices have been flowing to the point that I have what could best be described as "diarrhea of the imagination". These ideas keep gravitating towards crazy epic builds that would be quite a feat of skill and craftsmanship to pull off but...

So here's some of the evolution (devolution?) of my bike ideas.
IMAG1855.jpg
IMAG1869.jpg
IMAG1870.jpg
IMAG1872.jpg

I was kind of bumming that these bikes were totally unrealistic with my current workload but then occurred to me that I really don't need to prove anything to anyone this year, I could build a bike just for the fun of it! And the further I got into my ideas I realized that what I really enjoyed was the engineering and problem solving aspect of things. If I could hire someone else to weld and grind for me i would. After going though tons of possibilities I came up with this low slung FWD two wheel steering concoction.
IMAG1884.jpg

I know its got some obvious issues to work out but I'm pretty excited to see if I can make a rough draft "test mule" that is ridable in the next few months. It won't be nearly as pretty or refined as the above illustration (I'm picturing a bike that looks like something at a 'bike kill" event) but it should be interesting to say the least. And i think being so close to the ground and rear wheel steering via a cable and gear drive setup off the front fork would be so fun to ride. Whatdaya think? Oh, and i normally would be open to any and all comments but please don't call it a recumbent. :)

It's not a recumbent, not enough layback on the backrest.

I've toyed with this idea myself, but never got further than doodles.

If you pull this off, you may very well win this thing again.

Definitely in the running for the Cooler than dangit award, and it's just a drawing.

I found this video searching for rear wheel steering bikes and I thought it was pretty mind blowing. I realize that my layout is totally different but it could still work. The biggest concern I have with it is having the cranks on a pivoting element but I think the rear wheel steering will limit the amount of front fork swing I would need to make it turn. I could even adjust the ratios so the rear wheel turns more than the front but I'm guessing that won't be necessary. Its also possible the bike could work with the front forks fixed in place. This is uncharted territory for me and that's what makes it exciting.

Cool. I've also thought of doing front wheel drive and rear wheel steer. I even considered it for my WBO build 'Retroped'.

Love it :113:

Glen.

Glad to see that you changed your mind about joining the fun.
The first doodles resemble last years build, but the last one is something completely different. This is gonna be a blast to follow.

Oh you'll knock that out in nothing flat...:p

That vid is cool! I'll bet a normal bike feels weird after riding like that.

Hmmm...
Flip the back wheel and crankset on a normal bike so the chain is on the other side...
Sit on the handle bars and grab hold of the seat...
Poor man's quick and dirty FWD bicycle! :thumbsup:

...Sounds vaguely like something me and the neighbor kid tried once...

Cool mechanics going on under the seat and inside the frame too.

Ok so not much physical progress but this idea is really coming into focus in my head. I've just about figured out how I want to go about my 2 wheel steering and I'm super excited about it. I looked in my car parts stash and found these two gears from a Honda civic transmission I took apart. I think they will be perfect for how I want to set it up. The larger one will be centered and secured to the steering tube and the smaller one will reverse the direction the cables for the rear wheel. I want to set it up so a small steering input will have a greater effect on the rear wheel. I don't know how it will handle but I found this message on the underside of my bottle cap today and its got me thinking I'm on the right track.

IMAG2078.jpg
IMAG2077.jpg

Some progress. I got the work shop cleaned up and a full size drawing to work from. I think the engineering is workable at this point. Its going to feature two bottom brackets under the seat to form the central pivot knuckle actuated by a pulley on the (exposed) steering tube. Its hard to explain, you'll just have to wait and see.
IMAG2224.jpg
IMAG2220.jpg
IMAG2223.jpg

Maybe you should change the name to articulated python.
I think I am following the engineering so far. I just hope you have enough time.

Latest posts

Back