Low-Buck Lady Layback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2da4234f860d7ba232fc610eb49287ff.jpg
c962592f1f69d771bf4ebc7084dc66b7.jpg

Patina coming out nicely! My daughter suggested the color orange... Pretty sure this isn't the orange she envisioned!!
Not sure what your using to start the rust process but , salt water , vinegar, & peroxide work great 1/3 each .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, salt water (rock salt) is working great. 3" flame tread tires coming this week I hope. I'm waffling on the seat. I have the old brooks as seen in one of my previous pics. Also considering a banana. Anyone have an opinion to share?

I'd say the seat depends on handlebars and placement, if you use the ones in your first pic I'd say go with the Brooks. If you're planning on apes I'd go banana (so to speak):banana:

My initial plan was to run a layback post, (thus the name) but I don't think my current bars or apes are the right fit, and I just missed that sweet banana that sloar had. The colors would've been perfect! I'm thinking some "D" bars are in order here. My cheapo tires came in today and I HAD to do a mock-up. I'm liking how it's coming out.
3c9c49d309e207eaf2e2c51b2d1eb165.jpg

My initial plan was to run a layback post, (thus the name) but I don't think my current bars or apes are the right fit, and I just missed that sweet banana that sloar had. The colors would've been perfect! I'm thinking some "D" bars are in order here. My cheapo tires came in today and I HAD to do a mock-up. I'm liking how it's coming out.
3c9c49d309e207eaf2e2c51b2d1eb165.jpg
After seeing this pic I'm thinking banana seat laid low and rams horn bars,shoot I'd even ride it.

After seeing this pic I'm thinking banana seat laid low and rams horn bars,shoot I'd even ride it.
3" tires are crackin me up! I'll def ride this! It's coming out to be a "mean girl's" bike! LOL!!

I'd apply the boiled linseed oil at this point....awesome build BTW.
Watch the chain line with that tire (don't ask), you may need to flip the rear sprocket (assuming it's dished)
Keep building brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd apply the boiled linseed oil at this point....awesome build BTW.
Watch the chain line with that tire (don't ask), you may need to flip the rear sprocket (assuming it's dished)
Keep building brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooo, forgot to check the chain line, Thx! It's a coaster brake, so I don't think there'll be any flipping, I'll need to get creative!
Painting the rims & spokes this w/e... Have a very ambitious goal to paint the nipples a contrasting color (blk). I read about the straws over the spokes trick, any suggestions on how to accomplish this without disassembly? (The thought did occur to just replace them with black nipples!) I was thinking to tape the straws at the nipple and mask the rim as best I can...then mask the nipples and spray the rims/spokes. Or I may tear it all apart... I'll see how I feel ;)

I know what you mean by the intimidating factor on some of the other builds, but just bring your strong point and creativity and go nuts! Glad to see another lady in the mix!

Ooo, forgot to check the chain line, Thx! It's a coaster brake, so I don't think there'll be any flipping, I'll need to get creative!
Painting the rims & spokes this w/e... Have a very ambitious goal to paint the nipples a contrasting color (blk). I read about the straws over the spokes trick, any suggestions on how to accomplish this without disassembly? (The thought did occur to just replace them with black nipples!) I was thinking to tape the straws at the nipple and mask the rim as best I can...then mask the nipples and spray the rims/spokes. Or I may tear it all apart... I'll see how I feel ;)
Run a split lengthwise down the straw and slip it over the spoke without disassembling the wheel, the straw will actually tighten up in size once it is split...

Luke.

I know what you mean by the intimidating factor on some of the other builds, but just bring your strong point and creativity and go nuts!
emoji24.png
emoji33.png
emoji33.png
emoji33.png
THIS is why I didn't wanna get mixed up with you characters!!!
1:32AM/6.5 beers (NOT miller lite!!) and I'm considering suspension!?!?

90406eb750147137b3e9e22238e43eea.jpg
8dd5c30d7bd2a1282f30a253f5cb6a42.jpg

Lookin good, Ogre! :21:

Geeze! Time flies. I dropped the project for a cpl weeks of busy weekends so now it's crunch time! I've ditched the flame tread tires for white walls (a much better look) and have the front wheel painted and complete. I hit the frame with linseed and am rusting some new bars I got (nirve "candy") which will be mounted with the orig but newly painted stem. Hoping my order for a layback post is in time for pics, but I'll run the brooks seat seen in previous pics. I'll try to get an updated pic this w/e!

Latest posts

Back