Low seats on bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a stretched out bike with the pedals forward about 14 inches, somewhat like the Day 6 bike, and in this way could get the seat low enough to the ground to put my feet down flat when I'm stopped. This design also allows full leg extension when pedalling, which is so necessary for riding comfort.

Looking through the bike photos in the gallery, it's not uncommon to see a bike with a very low seat, the type that might be seen on a real old motorcycle. While these look cool, I wonder if they are really rideable by a person with average proportions of arm and leg lengths. I really like the idea of home built bikes and getting use out of a bike that some people might consider an old beater, but I think a bike needs to be set up so it can be ridden without sacrificing a comfortable ride just for a cool look.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

All my 26" bikes have the seats slammed as far as they can go :wink: Not only do they look cool, but it's the right size for me being 13 :mrgreen:

026.jpg

006txy.jpg

039yh.jpg

There's an unwritten rule that you take the pic with the seat low, then raise it if you are going for a ride of any distance.

I noticed that when I first got to this site and there was a thread on the subject and basically everyone said the same thing "Seat down for photos, up for riding." I get away with riding with a lower seat than normal on my build-off bike, but it's also geared lower as well so my legs aren't working really hard.

i dont have a choice on my KRUSH bike. its on the frame and stays there. chezzy board tracker is even lower and it also stays there. come to think of it, only my grimace bike and target specil have seats that are higher up than the frame.

oh, and im 6 foot 2

Here's mine with my 23 year old son riding it. Almost 6' tall & close to 200lbs. It ain't real comfortable for a long ride, but it IS rideable & I think it looks pretty cool too! 8) :mrgreen: The seat can also be raised for a long ride if needed!

finished019.jpg

Where I live there are lots of hills. If you don't raise the seat your not going to make it. Gears or not. Seats low for pics on any bike looks cool but if your over six feet riding a standard cruiser with the seat slammed it looks like a giant stole a bike from a little kid. I'm just saying :) To each his own and some times being short like me only 5'8 has it's perks. :D

I would put the "Rat Rod" seat low for a photo shoot but there is no chance I would ride it that way.
Remember:
Form follows function, not form before function.

low seat and low gearing is how I roll. I put children's bike's chainrings up front.

Before I put an engine kit on my board track bike, it was a horrible rider simply because the seat was too low while pedaling (I'm 6'1"). The seat post hardware was welded behind the seat post tube so I didn't have a choice!!! Now with the engine, I only have to pedal before I engage the clutch, it's awesome!!! No more aching back after rides! :D

dsc08438.jpg

I put rideability before aesthetics, since I may well ride any of my bikes 25-30 miles on a Saturday. So even though I'm only 5'6", the seats stay relatively high. Frame standover is another issue, however...

c.p.odom said:
I would put the "Rat Rod" seat low for a photo shoot but there is no chance I would ride it that way.
Remember:
Form follows function, not form before function.

I've always followed the mantra, "Sometimes you have to sacrifice for style." :D I'm 5'8", seats are low. I have to admit, though, on my latest ride with a huge skip-tooth sweetheart sprocket, I need to stand to accelerate or climb a hill.

Hey Everbody,

I love the look of slammed seats.
They are just too impractical for my arthritic knees
With the seat up high, I can may my bikes fly
but the have a definite nerd factor

So I was able to make a bike with practicality and slammed (lowest setting) for my wife
I just got done with the second Spaceliner frame in the first revision for RRBoff

IMG_4281.jpg

Whatever works for people

Latest posts

Back