Low seats on bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Skipton,

16 mile rides regularly is amazing (especially in the pretzel position :lol: )!
Glad to here you got the hub working
25miles in 2nd is hardcore dude.

I'm still think I prefer my seat high for speed.
Just finished up an 8 miler (do about 3 per week)
I have been looking at the clock and estimating the miles with a rate about 17 mph avg.
Finally put the speedometer and and confirmed it.

HRLinerRide28Sep11.jpg

Couldn't quite keep up with a young roadie tonight
He was maintaining 24 mph on the flats
I kept up for awhile but normally only about 20mph on the flats
Oh well..

Again, whatever works!

I like the seats low on my bikes. Being 6'1" tall the seat would be up high on the bike, so to keep the seat lower I set myself back to get more leg room. So I bend seat posts for them, even Crazy Mae at 5'4" wants her bikes to have the seat set low and back. Heres pics of the bikes I took to MW Bike Fest, after unloading the van.
mwfest2011007.jpg

mwfest2011005.jpg

mwfest2011006.jpg

dangratsdan,
How do you bend those posts so nicely, and at such sharp curves without crinkling the tube? That looks like something that would help me, full leg extension and "flat foot technology"!

Also, the end of tube under the seat, is it recurved to point at the sky, or straight back like a tailpipe?

Popcorn said:
dangratsdan,
How do you bend those posts so nicely, and at such sharp curves without crinkling the tube? That looks like something that would help me, full leg extension and "flat foot technology"!

Also, the end of tube under the seat, is it recurved to point at the sky, or straight back like a tailpipe?

Hey Popcorn,
I use solid rod and bend it cold. Its easy (you need a long cheater pipe and something very strong to hold the rod, I use a hole in the concrete in my back yard) and cheap (about $15 can make 2 or 3 bent seat posts). You might have to change your seat clamp and maybe shim the seat post. Check out my RRBBO3 build for the Rust Rat.
And yes it goes straight back so there is only one bend.
Ive had real good luck with these holding my 220 lbs. Only had one bend on me while riding and thats because the seat was far back.
Try it youll like it.

Careful with your vise... pulled mine out of my work bench bending a post the other day.

I wish I had a hole in the some concrete!

?[/quote]

Hey Popcorn,
I use solid rod and bend it cold. Its easy (you need a long cheater pipe and something very strong to hold the rod, I use a hole in the concrete in my back yard) and cheap (about $15 can make 2 or 3 bent seat posts). You might have to change your seat clamp and maybe shim the seat post. Check out my RRBBO3 build for the Rust Rat.
And yes it goes straight back so there is only one bend.
Ive had real good luck with these holding my 220 lbs. Only had one bend on me while riding and thats because the seat was far back.
Try it youll like it.[/quote]

dangratsdan,
Sounds like a good way to go! BTW, which came first, needing a bent post, or the hole in the concrete? :wink:

Latest posts

Back