LOWLIFE LIMO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx Outlaw. It's about two years old now and I've pedalled some 1000 miles away with it. 70-80-mile trips are not uncommon,so it has proved itself as a heck of a ride. Hope to do many more miles with it.

Greetz,Wimpy. :mrgreen:

A time-out,during our Green Heart Cruise.

At the moment (because of being out of a job,after my employer's business went down the drain), I'm working on an airhorn for the Lowlife. Reason for that is a common one: being overlooked by cardrivers a few times too often. My ding-dongbell doesn't draw their attention enough,so it's time for some drastic measures:an airhorn. That'll teach them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's being made out of a simple and cheap (2 Bucks,or so) aircan + clip-on plastic horn. I seperated the horn from the cap,that clicks onto the aircan and I'm going to try to connect these two with a piece of gardenhose. Next challenge is to screw it onto the frame. I'll try to shoot some pics and if it all works properly, I'll let you know on YouTube.

See ya. :mrgreen:

Maybe this will help too.
Buy one of those cheap kids bicycle flags at halfords (orange would match your bike perfectly).

fietsvlag.jpg

Remove the original flag and replace it with one of these (from the local "feestartikelenwinkel");

piratenvlag.jpg

Yeah,I also gave it a thought. I still have a flag like that lying around somewhere. But it still doesn't make any noise,which comes in handy when you're approaching someone from behind (car,bike or pedestrian). Most accidents happen,when cornering.

Well,being out of a job at the moment,I had the time to screw on my airhorn. My first intentions were,to hide it somewhere in the frame,but with insufficient space and not the right tools,that was a no-go area. The construction needs some alterations,but in general: it works. So there's no more excuses for the cardrivers, "sorry,I didn't hear you coming." :mrgreen:

Although I had good hopes that the airhorn would work properly, it proved otherwise. So I decided to install an electrical carhorn. Also for a cleaner look.
During the last cruise, I saw one of the guys having done the same thing, so it was quite easy to sneek-peek (instead of figuring it all out by myself). Hey, I'm not lazy, but I hate re-inventing the wheel.

The small list of stuff I needed:
- carhorn: check (free,it was under the hood of my car)
- 7.62 ammobox: check ( 10 Euro's,local dumpstore)
- 12V/7A sealed battery: check (free,local security-alarm company.)
- horn/light switch: check (7 Euro's,LBS)
- red indication light: check (free,lying around in my shed)
- on/off switch: check (2 Euro's,local autopartsshop)
- mountingbrackets and wiring: check (free,also lying around somewhere)

To keep the looks of it all as clean as possible, I've put the horn inside the ammobox together with the battery. It also keeps the wiring as short as possible. The hornswitch is under the saddle. Not the most ideal place, but it showed that mounting it on the handlebar didn't work (to big a distance,to the battery).
The red indication light on top of the box,shows me "power on". It's for me to remember,to kill the main powerswitch when I park the bike.
Finally the box was rattlecanned flatblack.
Up to now, it works better than the airhorn,but I still have to find out how long the battery remains charged. We'll see. If all goes well, I'm planning to connect my frontlight to the battery too.

The air-horn kinda looked like a baseball bat :p
ammo boxes are always cool though good stuff!
keep rollin

nick_ish said:
The air-horn kinda looked like a baseball bat :p
ammo boxes are always cool though good stuff!
keep rollin

haha it does..
which gives me an idea.. which involves conveting a baseball bat into an airhorn..

it's now not considered a weapon, and would be rather indemidating hanging around on your frame..
so if traffic dont 'hear to get outta way, then them seeing your 'baseball Bat' horn may scare them off.. haha

Isn't a baseball bat allowed,as long as it's bolted to the frame? Not removable, I mean.

Then again, if I should hit someone with my 100 lb bike,it could do more damage than a flimsy baseball bat,right? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wimpy said:
Isn't a baseball bat allowed,as long as it's bolted to the frame? Not removable, I mean.

Then again, if I should hit someone with my 100 lb bike,it could do more damage than a flimsy baseball bat,right? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How fast can you swing that bike? :shock:

Seriously though, love this build, been one of my favorites for long before I became a member here... Actually, come to think of it, the profile of my current build is pretty similar to yours... Thanks for the inspiration!

Luke.

Thanx for the compliment,Luke. That's what inspiration is for. I myself got inspired by a senior bikebuilder on FreakBike Nation. That's what it's all about.
I really like what you're building right now. Can't wait to see it finished. 8) 8)

Btw, one doesn't have to swing fast, if one handles a great mass. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LukeTheJoker said:
Still one of the nicest rides on here...

Luke.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ok,from a certain distance it looks not bad at all,I agree. But my dream is,making a lightweight version of it. Because the weight is the main flaw in the design.
Not sure if this dream ever comes true,but it's always nice to have one or two. :mrgreen:

It is a nice looking design :) Cromo .065 is at lest a few pounds saving over ERW .065 . It can be problematic to work with for rolling and some benders... the the weight savings are worth learning how to do it :)

Rich

Latest posts

Back