lowrider/chopper we did in 2004

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a bike me and my kids made out of a couple of junk bikes. The funny part is the majority of the bike is made out of a Spice Girls bike! The other bike was a Dyno BMX. Both were picked out of the trash. You'll notice some of the stickers in the pictures. The frame is stretched, and the forks are lengthened. Here are some pics of the build. The front half is the Dyno. The top tube of the Dyno slid right into another tube from the spice bike to add the length. The Dyno top tube had to be sliced, and bent to line up everything.

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

The top tube from the spice girls bike ended up being the bottom tube and I ovaled out one end to fit both chain stays inside of it before welding it together. The whole rear triangle of the spice bike was used pretty much intact except the bottom bracket was cut out and the seat tube was shortened. To lengthen the fork, the bottom was cut off and another set of forks was cut off and slid inside of the dyno forks to add length. This was all reinforced and welded.

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

After some grinding, decal removal, some body filler and alot of sanding, I painted it with Porsche Blue automotive basecoat/clearcoat and put it back together. We've since added a flat black luggage rack on the back but I don't have any pictures of it. The tires are 20" with a slick on the back and a flame tread on the front. It came out pretty cool and I can even ride it but it hurts my back after a while. I'm a pretty big guy though.

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Would you guys call this a lowrider or a chopper? I kind of think it's a cross between the two. I planned on it being a stretch chopper but it ended up being pretty low!

Alright I took some new pictures of it today with a better camera. This is the way she looks now with the rack and grips.

IMG_0211-1.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Here are two closeups to show the detail a little better. On the rear brake I flipped the cable to come from the bottom to give the cable a cleaner route. You can also see where the chain stays fit into the bottom tube real nice. The second picture just shows the front forks. I love the wheels with the raised ribs in the center. The only items purchased for this bike were the tires, tubes, seat and grips.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

If I may add a Design Idea.

I might make the Rear Rack parallel to the Bottom Tube.
buy bottom tube I mean the Tube that runs from the bottom bracket
to the seat tube.

If the rear rack was slammed as tight to the rear wheel as possible,
and have it level with that bottom tube I think it could look better.

The Frame Geometry and build is great,
I like it a lot,
peace,
Kev.

I agree, the rack was an after thought and added out of necessity(a friend wanted to ride it at the swap meet). I needed to use the bike and carry something and I literally slapped on in minutes. I certainly did not give it as much attention as the rest of the bike. I could do two things, 1.) modify the rack to hug the tire more and make it parallel to the ground(level) or 2.) just take it off altogether......

ha ha, yeah it's pretty slick but I can't say that I thought of it. I saw it on another bike once upon a time but I honestly didn't know if it was going to work until I tried it.

Latest posts

Back