LTJ's 1981 DATSUN STANZA (A10) WANNABE RALLY CAR. SOLD and moving.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could also always have whichever carb rejetted. You could get a 390, and if it's too much, have it downjetted some.
In some ways you are correct, but there is a point that is just too big that there is insufficient vacuum velocity through the venturis to get proper fuel suction and you end up with a flat spot or stutter until the revs come up...

I am sure the right answer is out there, still time for me to find it!

Luke.

I am sure the right answer is out there, still time for me to find it!
Got the official answer from the Carburettor place today regarding sizes and why he recommended the one he did:

"The ADR Webers we sell are a 34mm Carb. Meaning 34mm butterflies at the base, and 27mm throat primary side, 29mm throat secondary side.
32/36 DGV carbs are 32mm Primary Butterfly, 36mm Secondary butterfly at the base, and 26mm throat primary and 27mm throat secondary.
38mm DGAS carbs are 38mm Butterflies at the base, with 27mm Throats both sides.
This is why we recommend and prefer the 34 ADR as it has larger throat sizes than the others which is what you need to help the engine deliver the power you are looking for.
Hope this clears things up in regards to casted sizing."

Regards,

Jayke.

Sounds like I have my answer! I will go with the 34 ADR Weber!

Luke.

Spent part of yesterday getting the first piece of the puzzle for the upgrades down the track, after learning how rare the early short Hilux diffs are and some of the stupidly high prices people are asking for them, I decided that grabbing the one I know of as soon as possible was a good idea...

It is important for me to get this diff as it measures out at 1375mm hub to hub compared to 1410mm on the next model and after. (54" vs 55.5") The standard Stanza diff measures 1390mm (54.7") and I want to run more offset not less, for more dish!

You will have to excuse the pics, these are from my phone which is not only old, but apparently had a nice covering of dust over the camera lens as I found out only after I got home and loaded them up... :(

Target acquired, 1975 RN25 Toyota Hilux:

17261058572_ce9da8a91b_z.jpg

Positioned for extraction:

17261058582_5d8c25a0df_z.jpg

Removed:

17236865976_665aec064f_z.jpg

Loaded into the back of my wifes Camry wagon:

17262300151_7eafa5f343_z.jpg

It is now unloaded and stored under my bike work bench until it is needed, sometime after BOTEN is finished...;)

Luke.

The products of yesterdays work:

17308661741_96ea00bf77_z.jpg

Enough 2" stainless steel tube and mandrel bends for a full exhaust system including mounts, some 1.5" tube and bends for the twin transition pipes from the cast headers and a later model Hilux one piece driveshaft to make building a new shaft easy!

Some research has come up with the perfect rear brake set up for the Hilux diff, if I use EL Ford Falcon rear discs (295mm-11.75") and the callipers from an R31 Nissan Skyline it will all work with just a small adapter plate to mount the calliper to the diff, and gives me a usable handbrake/E-brake set up...

Luke.

Used to love a visit to a wrecking yard, these days
it's the recycle centre to the metal skip. Enjoying
the Datto's story Luke, hey can you put a Skyline
donk in one of those Stanzas? "Gonzilla the Stanza."

Used to love a visit to a wrecking yard, these days
it's the recycle centre to the metal skip. Enjoying
the Datto's story Luke, hey can you put a Skyline
donk in one of those Stanzas? "Gonzilla the Stanza."
Yes, it is possible, but not really my style, tempted to think about an alloy block V6 in the future, but the easiest conversion for more HP is the SR20det, every part is available...

That being said, I want this to be more old style, I want carburettors not fuel injection, so if I really wanted a bigger motor I guess I would go to the L24,L26,L28 family, the early L24's were used in very early Skyline GTR's... Probably wont do it though, all that extra weight over the front end, better to be more balanced with less power...

Luke.

The naturally-aspirated SR20DE can be made to run with carburetors... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/65338-sr20de-carburetor-conversion/ They make decent HP in stock format, and their's a lot of bolt-on goodies to kick it up even more. True, it'll never be as much as what you could get with an SR20DET (which is possibly the coolest 4-banger produced in the past quarter-century), but it'd still have some beast potential, especially in that l'il lightweight car you got....

The naturally-aspirated SR20DE can be made to run with carburetors... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/65338-sr20de-carburetor-conversion/ They make decent HP in stock format, and their's a lot of bolt-on goodies to kick it up even more. True, it'll never be as much as what you could get with an SR20DET (which is possibly the coolest 4-banger produced in the past quarter-century), but it'd still have some beast potential, especially in that l'il lightweight car you got....
Would love that 808, but the local laws wont let me... :(

Luke.

Oh, dang... local laws can really poop on a party, i guess. Even here in NJ (probably the 2nd most restrictive state in the US), your Datsun is old enough for QQ tags and exemption from emissions inspection... Hard to imagine a locality more restrictive than Jersey, though.

Oh, dang... local laws can really poop on a party, i guess. Even here in NJ (probably the 2nd most restrictive state in the US), your Datsun is old enough for QQ tags and exemption from emissions inspection... Hard to imagine a locality more restrictive than Jersey, though.
Yeah, they go by both the car and engine, if the engine is a later model it must meet the emission standards from when it was produced rather than when the car was made... :(

It's all good, my hot little L20b will be plenty of fun in such a light car, if I want to get crazy later there are plenty of options!

Luke.

Ahh so now I know why you might have liked the Datto sign so much!! Not only did I lose the diecast cars but some of the 1:1's also went wayward in the 'financial cleansing' process which included 2x Datsun 1200's - race car, Datsun 320 ute, 1966 Datsun 1600 Fairlady plus a complete shell and 1965 Prince Skyline GTB. I ended up with the XD Falcon and Tow Truck!!

Ahh so now I know why you might have liked the Datto sign so much!! Not only did I lose the diecast cars but some of the 1:1's also went wayward in the 'financial cleansing' process which included 2x Datsun 1200's - race car, Datsun 320 ute, 1966 Datsun 1600 Fairlady plus a complete shell and 1965 Prince Skyline GTB. I ended up with the XD Falcon and Tow Truck!!
Ouch! Got any plans for new projects?

This one is still in the works, I have the parts all planned and have actually gone out and got some of them, but still have not actually got the car on the road, it is so very close though!

I have tracked down two more Stanza's, both manual, both not running. I am half thinking of making this one a family car to replace the ageing Camry and put all the good stuff I have collected into one of the others... It means finding air conditioning for this one though...

Luke.

Got any plans for new projects?

Not at the moment as after 20 years of tinkering with cars and a job coming into contact with them I need a little rest. Even thinking of selling my XD and maybe in a few years might buy a B or D model pick up or Hotrod to bop around in. Haven't really got the room to do big projects at moment.

At least Datto's are fairly easy to work on. I had plans of putting a 289W into the spare Fairlady shell for a bit of fun and have a 'Japanese Cobra'...! There were a few club members that had their noses out of joint with those plans but I like doing things differently and having fun at the same time.

Not at the moment as after 20 years of tinkering with cars and a job coming into contact with them I need a little rest. Even thinking of selling my XD and maybe in a few years might buy a B or D model pick up or Hotrod to bop around in. Haven't really got the room to do big projects at moment.

At least Datto's are fairly easy to work on. I had plans of putting a 289W into the spare Fairlady shell for a bit of fun and have a 'Japanese Cobra'...! There were a few club members that had their noses out of joint with those plans but I like doing things differently and having fun at the same time.
:21: That sounds like fun!

Luke.

How'd I miss this thread?? I owned a 72 510 Wagon, one of my favorite cars of all time. How long did they continue to sell that body design where you are, Luke?
The original "510" which they called the "Datsun 1600" here ran from 1967-1972 the second one which they called a "510 series 2" over there and the "Datsun Stanza" here ran from 1978-1982.

The series 2 while it looked similar and had the same motor, was actually not really in the same league as the original, mainly due to the dropping of the IRS rear end in favour of a solid axle-triangulated trailing arm set up.

Interestingly though, it was the series two that was far more successful in rallying at the time, it is actually the most successful rally car Datsun/Nissan ever built worldwide...

I would love an original 1600/510, but that is way out of my price range, even the prices of these later ones is getting a bit silly, but this one suits my purposes well and the solid rear axle means I can change things out much easier... ;)

Luke.

Looking good, must be a pain living down under with all these automotive rules. Here in Indiana USA we don't even have vehicle inspections, I have seen big block 454's shoved in small hatchbacks.

Looking good, must be a pain living down under with all these automotive rules. Here in Indiana USA we don't even have vehicle inspections, I have seen big block 454's shoved in small hatchbacks.
Ohio is the same, saw a bb 350 in a Suzuki samari, and a sb 350 4x4 chevette at a car show.

Happy to see you keeping one of these old cars on the road Luke, I have one of general motors worst ideas. '86 Chevy nova, same as Toyota carolla. But it only has 43k miles and runs great.

Finished off the last of the items on my list of stuff to fix before it goes in for roadworthy check!

Finally rewired the transmission lockout/reverse light switch on the little BW40 transmission, took 4 attempts to get the wiring right as I could not find a diagram for the plug anywhere!

I made a diagram in case anyone else has to do this in the future, hopefully if I put enough search words in here it will come up if someone is googling for an answer: Borg Warner, BW30, BW35, BW40, Datsun, Falcon, Valiant, automatic, neutral lockout switch, pin wiring diagram.

bw40 switch.JPG

Should not be long now before this little Datto is back on the road!
:banana::banana::banana:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back