RRBBO13 Lucky 13 - She's Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright this is going to be a text update, I'll try to get some photos up soon so you guys can see what I'm talking about. So the OA bath did exactly what it was supposed to do and I'm not disappointed with that, all the rust has been cleaned off quite nicely. The problem is it cleaned it so well that there's some glaring issues with the parts now that kind of derail my creative a vision.

First and biggest problem for me is the wheel set. I was told it was a matching pre-war new departure wheel set, turns out it's not. It's a mismatched wheelset front one is 1950s rear one is pre-war. I didn't notice this before because they were covered in a thick layer of patina, I'm sure the previous owner did not notice either.

Second is the fenders. They cleaned up nice, the only problem again the guy I bought them from probably didn't even notice. But they're mismatched colors when I bought them he swore they were both green, turns out one is pre-war black paint and the other one is pre-war green paint.

Last edited:
So as of right now I have hit the proverbial brick wall in my creative endeavor. I really don't want to use a mismatched wheelset, sadly I probably will be forced to strip the paint off the fenders. Which is a bummer because I don't like wrecking original paint.

Bummer, but its still a rad elgin twinbar. Im with Chad, mock it up and see where you’re at. Too early to quit on Lucky 13.

OR

Just put all that mismatched stuff in a box and send it to me. I’ll send you my matchy matchy higgins. It wont even count as a frame swap since they're both already entered, i checked the official rule book.

Really like what you have started hope you find away to make it work.
83098c5b4bda225f9a1a52b06b77890f.jpg

I’m working on your counterpoint.

Bummer, but its still a rad elgin twinbar. Im with Chad, mock it up and see where you’re at. Too early to quit on Lucky 13.

OR

Just put all that mismatched stuff in a box and send it to me. I’ll send you my matchy matchy higgins. It wont even count as a frame swap since they're both already entered, i checked the official rule book.

I'm not quitting on her yet, I've got a lead on a good set of matching wheels for sale over on the Cabe forums. If I can sell some of my Misc parts locally I'll be able to afford those wheels.

And after thinking about it for a bit, striping the fenders down is not the end of the world.
I've got a plan in the works, will see if I can pull it off.
Really like what you have started hope you find away to make it work.
83098c5b4bda225f9a1a52b06b77890f.jpg

I’m working on your counterpoint.

IMG_0571.JPG

Painted the seat parts with some matt black today. Also started clean up on the small components.
IMG_0575.JPG

And here is another pic of my cave, the rug queens are all tucked in.
IMG_0578.JPG

Not elgin but I've got a couple set of 40s wheels if you're still looking. Let me know if I can help.

After scraping together some spending money. I ended up finding a set for pretty cheap on the Cabe forums. But thanks for reaching out :thumbsup:.

Did a light mock up and a whole lot of work on the fenders. I think @macncheese would agree when I say that the full bare metal gives the bike back it's streamline/seamless look.
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG

65356_c38f141393eb945ce15b51a088755b39.JPG

P1012713.JPG

Here is the replacement wheels, they actually ended being more correct for the Twin Bar then the ND wheels. These blue drop centers are Mussulman hubs which is what the Elgin's came with from the factory, they were just rebranded as Elgin hubs. they came off a 38 Colson originally. Thanks to @zephyrblau for good deal on the wheels :thumbsup:.

More garage tunes.

Wow! That work you did on the fenders is outstanding. They go so well with the frame. You're cooking with oil now Scribbs! (or was that Zip Strip? :bigsmile:)

Wow! That work you did on the fenders is outstanding. They go so well with the frame. You're cooking with oil now Scribbs! (or was that Zip Strip? :bigsmile:)

The paint actually came off super easy by hand, I always prefer sanding/grinding paint off versus paint stripper.

That is one sexy nekkid twin!

IMG_0590.JPG

Alright here are the new wheels, took my handy dandy little pressure washer and cleaned off all the unwanted dirt & grime.
IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

Built a new soaking box, I decided to use cleaning vinegar diluted with water. Well see how this turns out when I take them out the the dip tomorrow. The white bubbles are a sign the vinegar is working.
IMG_0597.JPG

More work shop music

Last edited:
Wheel set is done, new rim strips, USA made tubes, rebuilt and trued wheels.
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_0610.jpg
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG

Wow! Those white darts look sweet on the blue rims!

Latest posts

Back