Mach 5 project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What frame to use

• #1 AMF police auction special

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • #2 Columbia plane jane no frills or thrills

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • #3 40's Cleveland Welding 3 gill prewar

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So being I love Speed Racer, I was thinking of turning my Cleveland Welding into a Mach 5 inspired project. I was thinking of using a 70's AMF cruiser frame that I have being it's a little closer to the same time the cartoon would of been out but I love the lines of prewar frames over cruiser/cantilever frames. I think I'll paint both frames. The only thing the AMF frame has going for it is the curvy lines and those dropouts and really gnarly looking.
Frames I have to work with...
1-70's AMF 3spd $1 police auction special
P1150579.jpg

2-80's Columbia cruiser frame
P1150577.jpg

3-1940'ish Cleveland Welding 3 gill(Roadmaster)
P1150532.jpg

Persons seat I just reupholstered to go along with the Mach 5's seats. Red vinyl ran me three bucks from Hancock fabrics and 10 bucks for some 3m spray adhesive. The seat only ran me 5 bucks at a recent bike swap meet.
P1150537.jpg

P1150538.jpg

Here's the Cleveland Welding with the seat on it as the Mesinger that came on it was pretty drab.
P1150536.jpg

Inspirational Mach 5 photos
the_mach_5.jpg

the_mach_5.jpg

m_mark.jpg

mach-5.jpg

It's looking like the AMF will be getting a new life. At least that'll keep the Roadmaster still ride able. Anyone knows who makes a solid sprocket or maybe something with six circles in it to kinda go along with the 5's wheels? A solid sprocket is fine also because I can just cut the holes with my drill press and a hole saw. Also what kind of tank can I fit into this AMF frame? I don't really want to do just the plate as I want it to have alot of body to it since the Mach 5 is pretty curvaceous. Maybe this weekend or this week still I can get into the garage and start stripping down the frame. Dropouts will get welded to the chain and seat stays and smoothed out and seat tube chopped down a bit.

I've got that already. I don't really dig it. I think I actually pulled that plate off and rocked just the sprocket behind for awhile. I want actual holes.

Latest posts

Back