Macro Monday! Show that zoomed-in detail shot on Monday

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Komet Super 161
DSC_0028.JPG

Cool thread! Nice photo's guys! One of my hobbies is photography. It was my major in college, although I never made a career out of it, and my equipment is now way outdated I'll play! This makes me want to buy a macro lens for my 'old' DSLR again after selling mine years ago. I decided I'd shoot my daily bike for this Monday. I have a truck and a '60s style Harley Davidson chopper, but I have ridden this bike AT LEAST to and from work every day for the past year after making a promise to myself to ride every day. It doesn't quite fit here on these forums, but is by far the nicest bicycle I've ever built. I wouldn't consider all of these 'macro' but close up:

Custom NJS Sugino 75 crankset:

Custom stem plate filler:

The nicest saddle my butt has ever felt, found it NOS in original box for 1/3 the price they sell for online:

My super duper magical speed enhancing saddle charm plush:

And last, a rear shot, H+son rim, double butted DT swiss spokes, pink nips, gator skins tire, and oil slick kmc chain:

It's dirty and gets ridden hard every day, but unlike most of the idiots riding track bikes on the street I do weekly maintenance and she gets a bath every now and then! NO its not a 'fixie'... as me and my few bike friends say, ''we kill fixie foo's''. Meaning we out-ride them without much effort.

Oooookay spam over ;)

I might have gotten carried away.

Last edited:
I think there should have been some sort of restriction / requirements for this thread. Posting a low quality highly distorted cell phone pic is just annoying? 'zooming' in / 'cropping' a picture doesn't make it macro.

Last edited:
Since a portion of us are sub-amateur photographers (personally, I'm hyposub-amateur :grin:)...that's about as macro as it gets.

I'm not even a sub-amateur. I only know how to power on/off, turn of the flash, switch to "macro" option & download photos... The other nobs and switches are some kind of weird voodoo magic to me.

In a world saturated with crappy camera dumb-phones, you aren't going to get much cooperation here if you want really clear macros. Some people have a macro lens or a good camera, but not all. It's the way it is.
My very inexpensive and affordable-to-everyone-camera is a Canon Digital Elph SD1200is. A hi-def and useful electronic tool with 1080p video and auto or manual everything...a very cool, small package mind-blower.
These are easily sourced on ebay for around $25 to $45 used, the price of a good meal somewhere. I have never understood why anyone would post blurry images myself, but that's just me. I don't have a dumb-phone.

I use an Olympus VR-340. Basically a point and shoot digital. It has Macro and Super Macro modes. I shoot a ton of pics, then start weeding out shots until I'm left with a few good ones.

BTW, is talking about what makes a Macro shot comparable to talking about what constitutes a ratrod bike?:39:

I think by definition it means the image of the subject is larger than the subject itself. In the digital age, I don't think the method of how you get there is important.
But I wouldn't let the efforts of other amateurs annoy me, especially on a relaxed site on the backroads of the interwebs. If someone is interested enough to post, I can take a moment to look. It's not as though an imperfect picture here is going to interrupt my super important web-browsing time.

My phone works just fine for me. I'm not a picture taker, so when I do want to take a picture, the phone is always handy. Gave up on digital cameras after my phone pics started looking better than those from the camera. LOL
b59c2987841d3610b7e21f3553106bb7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BTW, is talking about what makes a Macro shot comparable to talking about what constitutes a ratrod bike?:39:

You're too right, and this isn't a lame-o photography forum, its all about BIKES! I was in an ornery mood last night ;)
I do enjoy all the photo's posted in this and all other threads! Accept for those darn ones that are posted upside down and make my neck hurt hahaha.

In terms of mediocre macro photo's being explained away(again)::::13: If you can't or are unable to take a macro photo and share it proudly, then just don't do it! Simple. This IS a photo thread, so if you have what you know is a macro shot that you are proud of, then by all means post it. Can we all try to improve our skills a bit or just continue to explain them away?:39:
This is not rocket science. A blurry, landscape-style photo or a pic of your entire shop or side shot of a Chinese bike is NOT a macro image. :acute:
I look for clarity and detail in Macro photos and suggest the same for others who want to contribute to this thread.
IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back