Made in the Shade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/brain-history-pic-heavy.94621/

21482158810_8e363ecc33_z.jpg

Since tomorrow is my birthday (and it seems that I have gone all-out OCD on this build)..........today I bought a rustier torrington motorbike stem, the correct chainring and cranks (also rusty), and rusty meteor 3 pedals. I also found a Dayton-style chainguard. Should all be here next week.
p.jpg
p.jpg
p.jpg
p.jpg

No more shiny parts!

That picture is uncanny. I have never seen it before. Total coincidence.

I know, that is what makes it even cooler!!!! I am signed up on watching this build.

I was considering doing a low mount headlight. But after seeing the cool drawing Kingfish sent me, I had to see what this would look like. I am still looking for the perfect rusty headlight, but I found this cool little light at Memory Lane. I also had this modified headlight bracket that looks like it was modified to be used on this type of stem. Anyway, here is the mock-up. Not sure if I like it or not.
DSCN0722.JPG
DSCN0721.JPG

Oooo I like the look of that light low profile, Killer !

That blue light is killer but not on this bike. No color add ons, faded chrome and rusty patina'd are fine but the blue is distracting. I do like the second one, adds to the build without drawing your eyes away.

Carl.

That blue light is killer but not on this bike. No color add ons, faded chrome and rusty patina'd are fine but the blue is distracting. I do like the second one, adds to the build without drawing your eyes away.

Carl.
The blue does distract but it is the correct type of headlight for the bike (just need to find a rusty one). It would not fit in the stock location because of the differently shaped strut rods. The smaller headlight was just used to show the lower location. I would not use a 70's headlight on this build. I do like the lower location but it would have to be a smaller headlight. More research and development needed here.

I do like the lower location but it would have to be a smaller headlight. More research and development needed here.

I couldn't agree more! I'm sure you will find the perfect headlight for that spot. [emoji106]
Luckily there are still a few days left in this build off... [emoji23]

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

The fork does have its original screw and thick square washer to hold a headlight bracket (and it turns!).
DSCN0725.JPG
And I have a couple of different headlight brackets to play around with.
DSCN0726.JPG
But none of my ideas are the look I am after. Might not have a headlight at all. Just have to see what kind of other ideas I can come up with. Hopefully, I will have that "eureka" moment. But I am going to shelf the idea for now. Cheers!

Last edited:
Tim, I know I sound like a broken record, but this is RAT ROD BIKES. Not the CABE. :21:

The Fat Franks wouldn't have been found on that type of frame, but you'll use them. But you won't use a cool old front headlight, like a tractor light with a rusty patina, because that wouldn't have been found on that bike? o_O Or try a 'rust-ina process? :confused:

If it feels right, do it. No holds barred. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back