Malibu Hopper build (pre-powder coat)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I meant to document this build through the whole process of putting it together, but you know how that goes ... it's too exciting to get everything together! In any event, it's about to all be broken back down anyways, because I'm about to drop it off at the powder coaters' real soon. I simply assembled the bike just to verify that everything went together alright; then I just "happened" to leave it assembled and ride it for a half year :D.

IMG_20161028_132229423.jpg
IMG_20161028_132238119_HDR.jpg

Frame comes courtesy of @rrtbike.

The bike's primary function will be being my winter commuter, but until there's a need for studded tires, the Big Bens are staying on, because they look awesome.

I'll be getting the frame, fork, and chainguard powder coated candy apple green in the style of Schwinn's campus green color. I've always wanted a Schwinn in campus green but the right opportunity just never seemed to pop up ... so I guess I'll just make it happen :D.

My trusty Concord New Yorker (which has been my main bike since I got into biking) seems to be on her last legs, so as a tribute, I'm hoping to have Concord logos added on to the frame and chain guard; I'll probably slap my Concord badge on there too. From what little information exists on Concord bicycles, it seems like in the short amount of time they were around they managed to make just about every type of bike imaginable, except for a cantilever cruiser. So this will be their honorary cruiser, I guess.

Not shown, but I also have an old-school Worksman fork from Chuck that I'll have powder-coated too. I can't decide between the Worksman and the one I currently have on there.

I'll probably leave the gold stem on; the bike will be predominantly green with a good dose of chrome/silver accents, and maybe a couple splashes of gold here and there. Pedals will likely be replaced with some MKS gold rat traps.

Not pictured, but other things that will change for the final build is that the bars will be swapped out for some Nitto BMX cruiser bars (my favorite bars), and some different color AME grips will be installed - likely either green or brown.

I might decide to throw a drum brake on the front, and I'll be upgrading the rear to a Sturmey Archer SRC-3 geared extremely low (I have a 26t cog and a 42t Wald sprocket), so as to make my usual direct drive speed my high gear, giving me two lower gears for handling slush and other fun that comes with the winter.

This bike is already my favorite in my stable; I have a feeling it's just going to keep getting better!

I've had this done for years now, just never got around to posting it. Figured I should get it posted now as I got a pair of his and hers Schwinn Cruiser 5's over the weekend and I'll probably end up moving alot of these parts over to the 'his' bike.

I've put alot of miles on this build, done a few centuries. Frankly I've gotten more out of it than I bet the designers ever anticipated. But it's also been very resistant to upgrades; both the bb and the headtube are slightly ovalized, and I don't think the frame took too kindly to being spread for the Shimano 3cc (the frame (rear dropouts) was only like 106mm to start; weird). Time to stop battling this frame to be what I want and hopefully have an easier time with the Schwinn.
IMG_20190630_121431.jpg
IMG_20190630_121518.jpg
IMG_20190630_121530.jpg

The green looks great! I also like the fork better for the way you have it set up. Nice to hear you got some good use out of it too.

Latest posts

Back