Markm's Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we finally have a really nice day , about 70 degrees and they say its going to last for a week.....so I cleaned some of the dirt out of my shop and decided the call of frame building was too strong to ignore. I'm going to try to post all the steps where everybody can see how easy this is to do. I started off bending a piece of 16 gauge 1 1/2'' to match the curve of a tire. Then welded a straight piece onto it. No fancy jigs needed ....throw them on something flat and tack both sides. Then weld it together. Throw it back on the floor and make sure its still flat. If not jump on them till they are flat. Take a black marker and design something and then add the pieces that you need. Everybody don't get too excited with the red tire....probably won't be on the final build. So this is my start so far. :wink:

mystart001.jpg

mystart002.jpg

Re: Call of the frame

I know Clancy. I see the leaves start to fall off of the trees and the weather turning cooler and the call of the build happens. I know your digging out the ski's and looking for the wax. Its the same thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok Gold street I'm not going to build it in a day. I'm still knocking the cobwebs off my welder. :wink:

Yeah it feel good to get back out there.
Ok I bent a top bar that looks pretty good. Now is where the thinking comes in. There are some measurements that come into play and its the difference of whether you have a rideable frame or just a bunch of pipe welded together. I will have to figure out how long the top tube will need to be so I can still reach the bars and also where the neck needs to be. Too high on the neck placement and the front will sit too low and if its too low it will sit too high in the front. If you have doubts stick a fork and a wheel on the ground and see where the neck will need to be and then build the frame to fit its location. Maybe I can build the neck tube tomorrow and show how to see where it goes.

topbar001.jpg

topbar002.jpg

uncle stretch i think its time to change your sig cause the shop is now open 8) cant wait to see this you never disappoint

glad to see you building again(i know how you felt though....gets to 100+ in my garage in the summer so i did the same) and really looking forward to seeing more!

Kram Master and Sensor glad yall are all watching. This build has no direction so far. I'm doing a tune up build to get my mind back right. Don't look for greatness on this one. Should be a hoot though. Hope I don't mess up and forget something...Hummm now where did I put those crankie holder things. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I got the neck built. I had some 1 1/2 '' 12 gauge tubing . I cut 5 1/2'' off to make it fit the Schwinn springer I had laying around. I have enough bearing races that I found several sets that would fit. Then I kinda layed it on the floor to see where it should go . I will do some more precise measurements before I cut the top tube and weld it up. It's moving right along now. Its all coming back to me. :lol:

neckbuild002.jpg

neckbuild001.jpg

Ok Ratina I wasn't stopped building that long. Everybody should know I only build in the winter time ,when its too cold for our northern members to build. This is just for the entertainment factor anyway. Gives the snowed in people something to watch. :wink:

Got the top tube tacked in place. With it put together on the floor and tacked together it all comes out straight. All the tubing is 1 1/2'' so its easy to line up. Still need to design the downtube. I'm going to bend one and then try a straight one too. I'm still not sure what will look the best.

tackedtogether001.jpg

tackedtogether002.jpg

Now is a good time to kinda stand your creation up and see how the parts will look. If it has a problem now is the time to change it. It will also let you see where your going with the rest of your build.

quickcheck002.jpg

Ok I settled on a downtube bend that I think works with the rest. And its moving right along.

downtube001.jpg

Nice curves on three of the tubes. I like your build for the speed and detail pictures. When do we get video or some time lapse Photography?

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok Ratina I wasn't stopped building that long. Everybody should know I only build in the winter time ,when its too cold for our northern members to build. This is just for the entertainment factor anyway. Gives the snowed in people something to watch. :wink:

Its seems like its been forever!

Its coming along nicely

Ok Clancy time lapse ha ha. I'm doing good to take the pic I'm taking.
Thanks Ratina glad you like it so far...its sure messing up my nap time though

thatismytruck/skip....I don't have a truck anymore....sniff sniff. She is ok thanks for asking.

Latest posts

Back