Markm's Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the BB on and tacked into place. Several of us looked at Steve's photoshop of this frame with the second bar the other way with it lower in the front. They both look good , but this way is a little ways away from the norm. I'm satisfied with my decision on the placement. The more I look at this build the more I like it. Still have to weld up the BB and figure out a kickstand ....then the dreaded bondo and sanding. My favorite part.

BBtackedinplace006.jpg

BBtackedinplace002.jpg

Very cool frame Uncle. One question where did you find those handelbars? I'm really diggin them. Oh I wish I had money for a shop though I'm afraid this whole scratch building could be very addicting. Can't wait to see her fully done up.

They made some in the old days and they called them longhorns. Since my frames are longer I have to have even longer bars. I did the trick where you lengthen them about 4 inches and the grip cover that part.
I love my shop. I guess I'm only happy when I'm completely dirty and working on building something. I can tell how dirty I am ,cause when I go into the house for some more Pepsi ....My wife goes "Oh my God" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad you like it. I think the addicting part is when you know your welder is outside waiting for you to unleash a dream.

maddogrider said:
Wow i think that one looks better than the orange bike you did a few months back. :D
I hope that every build looks better than the last one. If not then my creativity is stagnant . :lol: :lol: Glad you like it
chaunceysj said:
awsome work!!! :D wish i could do somthin like this!
Really then only reason I do this is to show everybody that this is not that hard , and anybody can do it. Your first few trys may not be award winning , but as you practice they get better...and faster. Glad you like this one. :wink:

bean said:
Lookin' great! Are the rear stays tube or bar?
Thanks....They are solid stock. I was doing them with the 5/8'' black water pipe, and when I was bending some before ....one side broke. I changed to the 5/8 solid stock. The only bad thing is with the solid stock they are lots heavier , and if you want to spread them you have to use a car jack. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't build flimsy anyway so they fit in with my building model.

Thanks Hooch I see that your chopping and welding too. I waiting for when you figure out , like I did, its easier to just build what you want it to look like from scratch . :wink:

Re: Call of the frame

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok Mark do you think your going to like this one? Its got your name on it if you want it. :lol:
:shock: Lucky Duck!! :shock:

Hooch said:
we have thought about it but something about destroying and modifying 50 year old bike sounds better yet :)
Hooch you crack me up. I had thought we might run out of old bikes , but the barn finds just keep coming like they are building them today.
I think for my next trick I'm going to copy an old style frame. Stretch it and use the 1 1/2'' tubing ...kinda EuroAmerican style.
bikeriderx said:
Uncle Stretch said:
Ok Mark do you think your going to like this one? Its got your name on it if you want it. :lol:
Don't think he is too lucky....now he has to buy a bunch of expensive parts to make it look good ...ha ha

Uncle Stretch said:
bikeriderx said:
Uncle Stretch said:
Don't think he is too lucky....now he has to buy a bunch of expensive parts to make it look good ...ha ha
Christmas is coming... :wink:

Hummm Santa Clause Bike parts.......well with our cool weather , we opened up the house and shut down the air unit. The bad part is that our pollen count is really high. It has made me run a low grade fever. Didn't get out to the bike shop today. Still feel bad , but am hoping in another day or so I should be back better and finish the build. :roll: :roll:

Uncle Stretch said:
Didn't get out to the bike shop today. Still feel bad , but am hoping in another day or so I should be back better and finish the build. :roll: :roll:
That gives you time to build up your Twinkie immunity :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cman said:
Uncle Stretch said:
Didn't get out to the bike shop today. Still feel bad , but am hoping in another day or so I should be back better and finish the build. :roll: :roll:
That gives you time to build up your Twinkie immunity :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And get caught up on the western channel. :lol:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Great job Uncle Stretch :wink: It was about time :mrgreen:
Glad you like it. I wasn't gone that long. Got quiet a bit of real life done though. :shock: :shock:

Still don't feel perfect , but I found if I run my ac unit and get my shop down to 55 degrees ,it makes it ok for me too work.
If you want your frames to be a little more professional looking you can either buy a $1000 tig welder , make your tubes fit perfect ,and practice welding a perfect bead. Or weld them up pretty good with a cheaper mig welder, grind them down and put some bondo over each weld. It makes the tubes look like they are seamless. I looked around my shop and I didn't see a tig welder anywhere so I chose the second option. The bondo will look as good as you take the pains to put it on and sand it smooth. Here is where I am so far. Still needs more work , but its getting closer.

bondo004.jpg

bondo001.jpg

Latest posts

Back