Massey Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be my first buildoff and it sounds interesting and fun. It seems the boardtrack bikes are in abundance over the last few months. I have been waiting to do one and a few weeks ago I bought this CCM Massey. Massey has been around since the turn of the century, and are very sought after bikes. I have seen these bikes go for $500 and up on Ebay. After around 1920 CCM made the Massey bikes for them. The earlier bikes had a wrap around the headtube headbadge, looks like a snake going around the headtube 2 or 3 times. This one has the screw on on headbadge. The crank is an early 3 piece Triplex crank. A lot of the higher end CCM bikes came with these. Here is what I am starting with for my Boardtracker.
BikeParts452.jpg

BikeParts448.jpg

BikeParts449.jpg

I will do the bike fenderless with 28" wheels, I have a pair of 64 spoke wheels and some 28" tires around somewhere. I may also do the front wheel with a disc brake or a rear spoon brake. I have most of the small stuff to make an interesting boardtracker. I have a daughter who is also entering a bike this year. She will have an interesting ride. She will post later today when she gets home from school.

I started to play today. Here it is without some parts. Flipped the bars.
BikeParts453.jpg

Here it is with 28" wheels, swallow style leather saddle.
BikeParts454.jpg

Hereis another style leather saddle. I also have a Brooks saddle.
BikeParts455.jpg

Here is another wheelset with older tires.
BikeParts457.jpg

These are the 64 spoke wheels. I may use them with the orange tires. The whitewalls don't fit.
BikeParts456.jpg

I have not decided what wheels to use. I am not sure if I will paint it yet.

Hey neighbour, good to see you in the competition. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

It is a cool bike but wow you have some cool parts to play with! Can't wait to see what you end up with.

i like the original paint (lack of) with the orange tires, but im sure whatever ya do will be great :wink:

I stripped the paint this week and it looks better to me. The fork is not great, and the stem was stuck in. I tried everything to get it out. I cut the stem so I could get the fork off. The threaded tube is also shot. I will try and find another fork. I want to do a boardtacker so a new fork may be an option. I found the serial number shows it is a 1938. I still have to decide what wheels/tires to use. Here is a pic of the frame.
BikeParts461.jpg

Wow, another great CCM in the build. Just an anecdote, when asked in 1928 by a reporter how long a CCM bike could last, a company executive answered: "I don't know, we've only been building bikes for 27 years." :D The fact that CCM bikes would last so long was actually a problem for the company that saw it's sales hit a ceiling after a while.

Clunker?

This is really a beautiful frame. I would just clear coat the ploished frame and build a mean knobby tired clunker with very modern components.

I got some free time and primed the frame. It looks good so far. Now for the final coats and clear. I have a new fork and tires are at the post office today, I'll get them tomorrow. Should have more pics in a few days.
My daughters bike Jakz is also coming along good. She worked along side of me when we did our frames. She should have her pics up tomorrow.
RatRod032.jpg

I spent some time on the bike this week and have quite a bit done. Here is the frame painted black. It needs the clear coat still.
RatRod044.jpg

I bought a Monarch springer style fork for it. These are nice forks.
RatRod045.jpg

It looks great with this frame.
RatRod046.jpg

These rims have been around for a few years and now have a home. The rear hub is a Sturmey Archer drum brake hub with threads for a freewheel or fixed gear. In this pic it has a freewheel.
RatRod041.jpg

Here is the wheels done with the new tires. These tires are nice for any old balloon bike. Here it is set up with a fixed gear.
RatRod042.jpg

RatRod043.jpg

I did a mock up of the bike with the original saddle cleaned up. The saddle has a broken frame so I may not use it. The bars are something I had around. I am still looking for something else.
RatRod052.jpg

RatRod053.jpg

I should be done by the end of next week. I have 5 days off work after Tues. I need to get the crank cleaned up. I have some spare stuff to look through for new ideas.

Wow! I like this bike a LOT! You've nailed the board track look perfectly. I particularly like how the Monark springer and the twin tube frame go together.

-Mp

(makes me want to put together a board-tracker too)

Latest posts

Back