Matti goes shopping. New bike phobia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, my main ride just died. The Hardrock which has been there for me every time I needed it for the last 25 years is becoming a project. I need a more modern hardtail mountain bike, but I'm way out of my comfort zone, so this thread is me asking the collective brain what they think of things that I find. Sidetracks and suggestions are always welcome, it's the off season here in Canada, so I have too much time on my hands.

This ad is French. Off to a bad start lol.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-velo-de-montagne/laval-rive-nord/mountain-bike-specialized-fuse/1467344182
I tried to translate the text, but there's a weird bit in the middle:

I want to get rid of my mountain bike specialized fuse, wide, 27.5 '' wheel. It's a 2017. I only used one season. It is functional and the components are in great condition, but the fork forward [habimé: can't translate, think they are saying ruined?] and would eventually be replaced (hence the low price). I did twice maintenance. Serious offer only.
ad_1571763350542.jpg

So, is it worth $499 Canadian if it needs a new shock? Is 27.5+ a wise choice now that the industry is moving away from this size? Also worth considering is the drive, over 120km, through Montreal, one of the worst places on Earth to drive! But I am a fan of Specialized...

That's just the asking price.

I'd probably look for a less used bike for that money though. There's lots of people who buy expensive bikes and then rarely ride them.

Somebody that starts talking about "seasons" has probably been fairly abusive to the bike. And once one part goes, there's a good chance something else may not be far behind. And good suspension forks are more expensive on their own than if you were buying a complete new bike.

Do you have a fatbike? I recently bought a Surly Wednesday (3.8" wide tires). It's really fun.

The forks on up to mid-range mountain bikes tend to be junk. If you watch CL you might find a decent fox or marzocchi for cheap-ish...but, really, the fork is where all the money is at on a suspended bike. 27.5" isn't going away...its 26" that has been on its way out. 29" floundered for a bit, but with stronger rims coming out they have regained popularity.

What is wrong with your hardrock?

The fork needs a rebuild, and parts haven't existed for decades, headset is shot, stem is too long, Rapidfires aren't working, front derailleur is cracked, cheap riveted chainring and crank, BB never maintained, cantilever brakes are shot... I can deal with just about everything, except for the shifters. I can only get the biggest 4 cogs on the cassette, so no top end.

Does anyone know Kona sizing? Guy says this 2003 Nunu is XL. Is that too much bike for a 5'9" rider? Info I've found lists SEVEN sizes; 14", 16", 18", 19", 20", 21", 23".
ad_1571924633212.jpg

The forks on up to mid-range mountain bikes tend to be junk. If you watch CL you might find a decent fox or marzocchi for cheap-ish...but, really, the fork is where all the money is at on a suspended bike. 27.5" isn't going away...its 26" that has been on its way out. 29" floundered for a bit, but with stronger rims coming out they have regained popularity.

What is wrong with your hardrock?

I'll be honest it sure seems like 27.5 is dying. 29 is where everything is going anymore.

I'll be honest it sure seems like 27.5 is dying. 29 is where everything is going anymore.
29s are rebounding after the 27.5 craze of the last few years mellows...but, I think dying is a bit strong. I'm guessing they will stabilize in the next couple years.

This graph is just a snapshot, but it makes it clear where 26ers are at (jan18...7 full suspension 26s sold, jan19...1!).

Wholesale mountain bike sales by category, January 2018 compared to January 2019.png

The only thing keeping off-road 26" alive is fatbikes, a few rigid, and retro BMX cruisers (most of those come with street oriented tread :doh:).

I think the issue is with 27.5, they don't offer the roll over of 29s and the new generation of 29s have fixed the wagon wheel complaints of old. So increasing they are seen as freeride and more trick oriented bikes (like the 50:01 guys) bikes and bikes for shorter people.

26 is going no where for dirt jumpers, slopestyle, trails and park style riding. I am sure quite a few guys at Red Bull Rampage will be running 26s today and there are still a number of mtb companies offering downhill/freeride bikes that will fit either 27.5 or 26. Basically for mountain biking I expect to see 26 tire choice to dry up except for some cheap XC patterns (just to service the existing bikes), downhill tires (like the Magic Mary or Minion DHF) and dirt jump tires.

I'm in Eastern Ontario, right next to Quebec border. Montreal is within striking distance, which is a blessing and a curse. It is in the middle of one of Canada's best riding areas, but the used bikes have been ridden HARD!

Latest posts

Back